Afternoon from Northampton

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GMInsite

Car
Mercedes-Benz W203 C220CDI Avantgarde
Hi everyone, Im Greg from Duston in Northampton.

I currently drive a 2011 Seat Ibiza TDI Sport but looking to change cars for an older one to free up some money to do some niggly bits on my house.

I came across a 2003/2004 CLK270 CDI and was looking for more information about them so i joined up to try gather some useful posts.

Insurance isnt too bad considering im only 21 but i have seen reviews saying they are quite costly when things go wrong, Im looking for common problems that people know of to weigh up the costs.

Thanks Greg

Hi Greg,good afternoon best thing I ever did was to get a Mercedes so good luck my friend hope you find a nice one like I did an SL350.

I ran one for a couple of years. Mine had 140k miles and things like springs and shocks needed doing before I sold the car but it was generally rock solid reliable. Check the valeo rad situation out and look for rust, but that's about it for common issues.

Welcome to the forum.

Hello & welcome!

Reviews i was reading were saying that pretty much every sensor failed and was very costly.

Trying not to , trying to have a open mind. I do quite a lot of mileage (25,000 a year) So need something comfortable as well as reliable and can return reasonable MPG. I had posted two links but they have not been approved yet. Got around £6000 to spend when i trade in my Ibiza.

I did over 30k pa and averaged around 50mpg on tank to tank fills.

Hey Greg, welcome to the forum :thumb:

CLK's are great, solid cars as mentioned above.

I'm sure you will love it.

:thumb:

2003/4 coming up 10 years old. Take it for a spin, check for malfunctions in the speedo centre readout. Let your ears, eyes and nose (strong smell of diesel when you lift the bonnet - bad news) be your friend.

Check what temp the engine is running at once warm - if its too hot or cool you have a thermostat issue.

All in all a good motor once fettled.

Welcome to the forum.

Hi Greg,welcome to the forum:thumb:

Thanks everyone , good feedback so far. Looking for something to keep as i get quite bored and end up chopping and changing cars.

Anything that can be changed on the CLKs to improve the looks/handling?

General maintenance like servicing expensive to do ?

Hey again everyone im back after only posting a couple of times , Im still looking to get rid of my ibiza, now more than ever after just coming home from a mini european tour covering 1750 miles in just 4 days, the car was very uncomfortable and just not a good car for long distances.

Im searching around and came back to the idea of a mercedes after seing them on the autobahn, I have seen a 2006 C Class 220cdi automatic sport.

Anything to look out for especially with the automatic gearbox as this will be my first automatic car? , going to view it and see what i can get trade in for my ibiza on saturday. the car is up for £6495 with full service history and 72,000 miles.

Pick up my mercedes on friday :)

Went and had a look at a C220 CDI Avantgarde Auto, It was a 2005 (54) with 80,000 miles on the clock, it has full leather interior and a parrot bluetooth kit and a ipod,usb,aux port in the glovebox (dont know if this is standard). The car has full mercedes service history. Pretty chuffed when i took it for a test drive the car is so smooth and the auto box is fantastic, i part exchanged my 2011 ibiza in and got a good deal on that considering the amount of stuff wrong with my car.

The dealership are dealing with the transfer of my private plate and giving my 12 months tax and 12 months mot with 6 months warranty. Car is a dark blue and was £5995.

Sounds excellent for the money spend and the reg transfer done by the dealer. Was this a Merc Dealer pray tell, I'm thinking not. Anyway enjoy your new ride when you pick it up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom