Agreed a Sale, Is there risk?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
The buyer, who is actually the mum of the negotiator is in Cornwall. I don't see that proof of I.D alone gets me anything of advantage.
Should things go pear shaped I need name and address to persue. And they need to have assets to threaten.
The car can change hands in minute or two. Even though I may prove there was no right to transfer on I have a big problem to recover it. Even then it needs finding and transporting, if it's still whole.
The mechanic is a 3rd party acting similar to a courrier, I don't see I have any claim there.

Terms like a recall of funds is unusual doesn't give confidence. A 10 million to 1 chance of being hit by lightning is no comfort when you get hit.

As I understand banks do what they want, and 1st priority is to recover their losses if the fraud would cost them. Better for them that it costs me.
Should I trust that funds in will stay in?

A mechanic with mates is a risk already considered. I'm distracted, another drives away. They say the transaction was completed by the negotiator, the Police, if / when they turn up say it's a civil issue. And the Viano is long gone.
Unless he intends to flat back it there must be a second driver. I need a 2nd attendant.

If you’re not 100% happy I’d tell him you won’t be going ahead and find another buyer. It’s not worth the hassle.

Can you pm me info about the Viano and the price please? Funny actually, I have a relative who has one but has been having issues with it who may be interested. Is it an extra long?

If you’re not 100% happy I’d tell him you won’t be going ahead and find another buyer. It’s not worth the hassle.
I don't disagree, but I am wanting to sell.
Expecting someone to come along with £5k is a lot, and cash isn't always good.
Is there a trustworthy way to transact that doesn't need a solicitor?

I don't disagree, but I am wanting to sell.
Expecting someone to come along with £5k is a lot, and cash isn't always good.
Is there a trustworthy way to transact that doesn't need a solicitor?
Why cant you ask them to pay the cash into your account via the post office or bank where they are in Cornwall. A big town in Cornwall should have a bank and a post office to allow this transaction relatively smoothly?

That way a cash deposit cannot be reversed?

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

Why cant you ask them to pay the cash into your account via the post office or bank where they are in Cornwall. A big town in Cornwall should have a bank and a post office to allow this transaction relatively smoothly?

Sounds good,
but I would only see that the funds are there and not the method of payment I believe.
Each month I see regular payments into two accounts. It isn't until the end of day that the finer detail is applied to the statement.

Sounds good,
but I would only see that the funds are there and not the method of payment I believe.
Each month I see regular payments into two accounts. It isn't until the end of day that the finer detail is applied to the statement.
If you called your bank prior to releasing the vehicle they would be able to tell you 1. Method of payment (cash) 2. Exactly where it was paid in (branch etc).
That way you would also have evidence it was credited in Cornwall.

Seems to me that if a cash payment is made in Cornwall, and your own bank confirms both the payment and the location, you would have peace of mind. How long has the Viano been on eBay, and have you had any other offers?

Maybe a smaller issue, but I keep another (savings) account with my bank that only ever holds a few pounds.

As it can receive BACS, and Faster Payments etc directly, I pass this account's sort code and account number (both different to main accounts) on to anyone needing to transfer money to me and thus keep my main account details to myself.

Q.v. Jeremy Clarkson's experience.

How long has the Viano been on eBay, and have you had any other offers?

A 10 day sale, less than 5 to run.
This is the 3rd offerer, and I've negotiated to a higher amount.

Reactions: 219
I thought most banks no longer allow cash deposits to be made into accounts that are not your own (with your debit card)...?

This pm I've agreed a sale of the Viano, advertised on eBay.
His story is that his petrol Viano has been written off and he needs a replacement.
Buyer is on holiday in Cornwall and arranging for a mechanic friend to inspect and collect, in a day or two.

He has requested my bank details so as to make payment following his friends approval of the car. I don't see risk there, bank transfers being the safest way to get payment.

I have a name and address, his mums, and would use that for a receipt that details, essentially, bought as seen. I'll detail the friends name and address and ask him to sign.

I've run a Land Registry check and the property was bought in May this year to 'another'. So possibly a rental by the buyer.

If I see money in my account is there any risk here?
Buyer (and mum) remote from the sale. No way to confirm I.D.
Only thing I’d add is you want to see some form of photo ID from the friend who collects the van , so you know who you’ve handed it over to . Driving licence , since that will have his address on - even better , if not too far , you deliver the van to him at his address, so you know he lives there .

I can transfer out to another account, but assume that can be recalled also.
So how to be sure?

My reasons for checking on the buyer is to be able to track and recover if need be.
So far I have no way to be sure of who, even if I see a passport I don't see a where.
That’s why I suggested driving licence , which has an address on , even better if you can deliver and verify he actually lives there ( the mechanic friend ) which at least gives you a start point .

What if the buyer is as trusting as the OP?

A little update, and I'm still seeing things in the shadows.

There is a facebook profile, that indicates activity in Cornwall, but not much on it to see who he is.
There is evidence elsewhere of him around the post code for the address given, but it's not much.

I've texted him to say I'll be happy to sell to him when he's back from Cornwall.
A little more trouble for him maybe, but he only lives 30 miles away so not a great deal.
A face to face and I can confirm his I.D. and address, or his mothers as she will be the Reg'd keeper and driver.
He may be totally geniune, in which case he should understand.
If he feels my concerns and isn't I probably won't get much more back from him.

There is a facebook profile, that indicates activity in Cornwall, but not much on it to see who he is.
There is evidence elsewhere of him around the post code for the address given, but it's not much.

I've texted him to say I'll be happy to sell to him when he's back from Cornwall.
A little more trouble for him maybe, but he only lives 30 miles away so not a great deal.
A face to face and I can confirm his I.D. and address, or his mothers as she will be the Reg'd keeper and driver.
I think you're doing exactly the right thing. The original proposals had all the hallmarks of a potential scam. The buyer may be entirely genuine, but better to be safe than sorry.

On what you've told us so far, I'd go ahead, subject to the caveats in post #9. You don't need any ID or address check to sell it to him, whether face to face or not; all you need is to be paid, and for the seller to complete the V5C, or text you his details, so you can notify the DVLA of the transfer.

If I were the buyer, and genuine, and I'd read this thread, I'd think you were suspicious almost to the point of paranoia, to be honest; judging from this thread, you're not alone...

If the van was right, and the price was right, and I could wait, I'd still want to buy it, but the risk you take with all this is that he'll find a better deal before he gets back from Cornwall, and go for that.

All you need to worry about is receiving payment and notifying the Dvla, it makes no difference if Tom **** or Harry purchases the car.

There is no need to view any Id and as for the land registry checks.........

Chill out man you’re only selling a cheap van.

I have to be honest, it doesn’t sound particularly suspicious to me.

There’s more obvious and easier scams than 10 year old £5k Vianos, no offence intended.

If he was asking to pay extra and refund more, or have it delivered without cleared funds, or lived overseas, paying via PayPal/Western Union etc etc then I could understand.

Land registry searches, Facebook stalking etc all seems a bit paranoid considering he’s done nothing wrong to me :doh:

I sold my E55 to someone who I had never met, they sent a transporter to collect it and paid via bank transfer. I did the V5 thing online - no drama :)

See this:

Faster Payment Recalled

Food for thought, innit?

Doubt it was actually a Faster Payment but who knows.

Personally it does not sit right with me. I would accept a small holding deposit and insist whoever collects it in person, accompanies you to the bank and does the transfer in there. Wait until it clears and you have confirmation of this before letting the vehicle out of sight.

You have then covered yourself completely. If it is a genuine buyer, they will understand. Wouldn't you?

This is what I did selling two cars in both into 5 figures.

Works well.

Chill out man you’re only selling a cheap van.

If you are prepared to stump up the £5k if it does go wrong, I'm sure the OP would happily go ahead on trust.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom