Ahaaaa help white smoke! W211/E220

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gavatron06

Car
E220 CDI
Ahaaaa help white smoke! Have a very smokey E220 85K, I read in some of the forums de-gunking the ERG & its manifold can clear this. Removed the cast piece that houses the ERG valve and gave it a good clean with de-greaser. dried with a hair dryer and left to a few hours before refitting.

Usual removing bolts from all over the place, but there were four bolts in particular into the engine block that were a real pain. Particularly the lower bolts, was under the car nose to gear box, reaching around one hand only fit, trying to tighten "posi" drive (Not sure if that the proper name like a square alen key but with tapering multiple sides), who fits this kind of bot its useless!!
Managed to get the top bolts in full & lower bolts in half, before the "posi" started to slip. Time wasnt on our side and @3:30AM last night, decided to take the car for a spin to see if would hold out until today when I could get proper hex bolts. Took off down the road for about 1/2 a mile with a plum of white smoke behind me!

My theory is the water circulation for the heating is escaping into the exhaust and evaporating.

Have I caused damage driving?
There wasn't a gasket between this cast piece and the engine block, should there be? or any type of sealant?

Attached: Photo of the view from underneath.

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 150
  • photo_mod.jpg
    photo_mod.jpg
    113.4 KB · Views: 149
^^ + 1

Yes, agreed, usually coolant. Check for oil - coolant contamination. Oil in the coolant header tank and water in the oil (if you're lucky enough to have a dipstick).

Possible causes can include a blown head gasket, which the oil - coolant contamination would indicate.

Don't know about the ERG, so can't help with that, sorry.

The type of bolts are Torx and you can buy a set of these sockets to fit normal socket sets. The other type of bolts used on Mercedes (raised head instead of sunken) are Star sockets, or female Torx, which are also available in the same type of set.
Both types available in varying sizes (number of sockets). 2 examples below.

Halfords | Halfords Professional 7 piece Torx Bit Socket Set 1/2"

Halfords | Halfords 6 piece Professional Female "Torx" Socket Set 3/8"

Good luck with getting the car sorted and I hope it's something minor. Please keep us posted.

Last edited:
^^ + 1

Yes, agreed, usually coolant. Check low coolant level and for oil - coolant contamination. Oil in the coolant header tank and water in the oil (if you're lucky enough to have a dipstick).

Possible causes can include a blown head gasket, which any oil - coolant contamination would indicate.

Don't know about the ERG, so can't help with that, sorry.

The type of bolts you refer to are Torx and you can buy a set of these sockets to use with normal socket sets. The other type of bolts used on Mercedes (raised head instead of sunken) are Star sockets, or female Torx, which are also available in the same type of set.
Both types available in varying sizes (number of sockets). 2 examples below.

Halfords | Halfords Professional 7 piece Torx Bit Socket Set 1/2"

Halfords | Halfords 6 piece Professional Female "Torx" Socket Set 3/8"

Good luck with getting the car sorted and I hope it's something minor. Please keep us posted.

Ooops.....Duplicate post. Don't know how that happened. Can a Mod delete one please.

Last edited:
Are you actually losing any coolant ? Is it bubbling in the header tank or overheating ? Is the level dropping in the header because if it isn't then it's not coolant that's your problem.

A faulty injector can also cause white smoke.

Last edited:
Yes solved!! as suggested coolant leaking into exhaust via the EGR manifold #128 on the attached parts diagram, the threads on the four securing bolt holes for bolts #155 were F**ed, hence previous owner used 7mm torx bolts instead of 6mm to try to get a tighter seal. My mechanic had to re-tap the x4 holes in the side of the engine block, not an easily accessed area by any means.

FYI there should be a gasket in this location #149

Thanks for the input.

Attachments

• Outlook.jpg
    Outlook.jpg
    160.1 KB · Views: 200

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom