"Air bag 'black box' nails killer driver"

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Flyer

MB Enthusiast
Car
Ford Mustang GT
Interesting story in The Register today.

I wasn't aware that there was a data recorder storing data that was accessible. Presumably our Mercs must have this recorder. Again presumably, it must store the data on non-volatile memory. Have to have a word with a few lawyer friends and see if they have ever come across this - certainly never mentioned it.

114 in a 30? *and* drunk ? :confused: :crazy: :mad:

Cheers

Andrew

heh heh heh I think it serves him right for doing that speed......

I dounno if all cars have this but I can bet that anyone with sat nav will have log files that would give the game away completely.

Yep...pretty much!

I think they'd only get a warrant to inspect this data if the accident was serious enough.

My sat nav atually allows me to replay a journey, where it will show my car on the map with current speed, altitude, time of day etc etc. My log file would probably last about a month or so before it gets overwritten by new data.

My understanding was that in the UK only the car manufacturer is able to look at the air bag “black box” (proprietary software / tools needed to do so). The manufacturers only do so when they believe they could improve the safety of the car / the air bag system as a result of reviewing the data. I don’t believe that the police currently have any right to the information. However, could be completely wrong about the rights of the UK police

The Met Police installed "Black-Box" full data recorders in a number of their vehicles a couple of years ago. The significance was that they recorded more than just speed, they included state of lights, sirens, gear, brake use etc.

Having run this trial, they found that these cars were invloved in fewer collisions (drivers aware that evidence of their driving was being recorded). Interestingly, the Police Federation (equiv of Police Union) supported widespread introduction of these recorders - they proved the innocence of the Police driver in significant number of collisions where the basic facts pointed towards guilt on behalf of the response driver.

My mum took her Polo in for its first service last year, and the Service Manager pointed out that the car had never exceeded 50mph (she never lends the car to the rest of our family...). So basic data is available already!

As for Police access to your "BlackBox" after an accident, I see no reason why they wouldn't already be able to do so - they can seize the vehicle as evidence if they suspect an offence. I cannot find a case where the data has been used in the UK, but suspect that if the contents of the databox was considered private information, they would have no difficulty getting a warrant to access it - the public good weighed against private rights.

If there isn't already legislation in the pipeline, I guess mandatory data recorders will arrive in new cars.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom