Air Bag Scandal.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Not good.

I wonder which cars have those fitted...

This was in the finance section of the evening standard today.

I do not have to worry my Mercedes is so old I have a balloon

The gov.uk link is very useful but has a huge array of recalls! Should Merc also hunt down owners proactively? Or is it up to the owner to reach out to Merc? Mine hasn't been to a Merc dealer for 2 years so they may not know where the car is if there is a recall - though I am registered with them so I can access the service history record. It would be clever if they used that data to find owners in the event of a recall.

The gov.uk link is very useful but has a huge array of recalls! Should Merc also hunt down owners proactively? Or is it up to the owner to reach out to Merc? Mine hasn't been to a Merc dealer for 2 years so they may not know where the car is if there is a recall - though I am registered with them so I can access the service history record. It would be clever if they used that data to find owners in the event of a recall.
Although people generally think that any manufacturer update falls under the umbrella name of "recall", strictly speaking a Vehicle Recall is always safety-related so the manufacturer/importer will contact all Registered Keepers through the DVLA.

For anything else not safety-related, then the only way you'd hear about it would be if your car was serviced at a franchised dealer.

I checked that site last year when the srs or whatever recall happened, there wasn't anything listed but I phoned up Mercedes to check anyway, and they called back saying mine was fine

Just checked it again and there's now two entries on there:

27/10/2010 - R/2010/156 - C & E class 204, 207, 212 - power assisted steering may leak oil

And...

29/11/2010 - R/2010/150 - C class 204 - brake system may not operate to specification

My dealer has it for servicing each year I wonder if it's anything to call up about, I'll email them

The date ('launch date') is that the build date or the difference between 2010/60 plate?

Perhaps pertinent to post that US list here. IT SHOULD BE NOTED this refers to US market cars and that UK cars may be sourced from different factories with different components.

Mercedes-Benz Recalls 841,000 Vehicles for Takata Airbags [UPDATED]
May 20, 2016 at 9:10 am by Clifford Atiyeh

Several Mercedes-Benz cars, SUVs, and vans have officially been recalled as part of the massive action concerning exploding, shrapnel-shooting Takata airbags. The company has just called back 705,000 passenger vehicles and another 136,000 Daimler-built vans in the U.S.

Affected cars include the 2005–2014 C-class, E-class, GL-class, M-class, and SLK; the 2006–2012 R-class; and the 2011–2014 SLS AMG. The 2007–2014 Sprinter vans with Dodge, Freightliner, or Mercedes badges also are included. Some 2006–2008 Sprinters had been added to the Takata recall in June 2015. In total, all Mercedes and Daimler-built vehicles under recall now number roughly 845,000. Mercedes said it has no reported airbag ruptures or injuries. At this point, the company is not saying whether it is recalling the vehicles for driver’s-side, passenger-side, side airbags, or all three.

UPDATE 2/13: NHTSA has updated its website with more specifics regarding what Mercedes models are affected by this recall. They are:
C-class
2005 C230 Kompressor, 2006–2007 C230, 2008–2011 C300, 2008–2011 C300 4Matic, 2005 C320, 2006–2011 C350, 2009–2011 C63 AMG
E-class
2010–2011 E350, 2010–2011 E350 4Matic, 2011 E350 Cabriolet, 2010–2011 E550, 2010–2011 E550 4Matic, 2011 E550 Cabriolet, 2010–2011 E63 AMG
GL-class
2009–2010 GL320 BlueTec 4Matic, 2011–2012 GL350 BlueTec 4Matic, 2009–2012 GL450 4Matic, 2009–2012 GL550 4Matic
GLK-class
2010–2012 GLK350, 2010–2012 GLK350 4Matic
M-class
2009–2010 ML320 BlueTec 4Matic, 2009–2011 ML350, 2009–2011 ML350 4Matic, 2010–2011 ML450 4Matic Hybrid, 2009–2011 ML550 4Matic, 2009–2011 ML63 AMG
SLK-class
2007–2008 SLK280, 2007–2008 SLK350, 2007–2008 SLK55 AMG
SLS AMG
2011–2014 SLS AMG, 2012 SLS AMG Cabriolet, 2013–2014 SLS AMG GT
R-class
2009–2010 R320 CDI 4Matic, 2009–2012 R350 4Matic, 2011–2012 R350 BlueTec 4Matic

The updated total for Mercedes-Benz cars (not Daimler vans) is now 711,266, up from 705,000. Daimler vans total is 136,361, up from 136,000.

Update 5/20: Mercedes-Benz has expanded its Takata recall. The company will also replace passenger-side inflators on 196,975 cars. The affected models are:
C-class
2012–2014 C-class [pre or post facelift not specified]
E-class
2012–2017 E-class coupe, 2012–2017 E-class cabriolet
GLK-class
2013–2015 GLK-class
SLS AMG
2015 SLS AMG, 2015 SLS AMG cabriolet

That US list is very wide ranging on dates and would give the wrong impression.

Use the link that TheFox put in and you can check to see if your VIN number fits within the range for the issue based on the model and manufacture date of your specific car.

That US list is very wide ranging on dates and would give the wrong impression.

Use the link that TheFox put in and you can check to see if your VIN number fits within the range for the issue based on the model and manufacture date of your specific car.

In the never ending struggle for consumers to get information from manufacturers about possible product defects I would put the USA regulatory bodies way ahead of anything the UK government does. [ altho this may change under the new TRUMP administration] The UK have a history of setting up toothless regulatory bodies without the necessary fiscal clout to enforce any consumer protection they might nominally have on paper. For that reason I wouldn't necessarily dismiss anything that the NHTSA reports except in so far as it may only apply to USA cars. If I was concerned the issue might affect my car I would communicate same to the MB dealer who sold /services my car directly rather than rely on a government agency which is already "one data transfer distant" from the organisation who has the necessary information via chassis no etc . :dk:

For awareness and enforcement I absolutely agree. Does lead to a culture of litigation though :(

I was referring more to people checking if their specific build was impacted as they are now aware via the thread. That article you linked to is far too generic to pinpoint it to your build which the DVLA website can do. Essentially an MB dealer would have the same info as the DVLA as it is chassis number range based.

Many also don't use Main dealers for their cars.

Going to the MB dealer is of course an absolutely valid way of getting an answer as well.

Ideally, there should be a system that not only tells you what recalls your vehicle could be subject to, but also what recalls have been actioned and what recalls are still outstanding.

Imagine being able to check on a possible purchase to make sure that there were no underlying issues.

I've just had my Indesit tumble dryer modified under the Hotpoint Recall Scheme. The dryer now has a green dot signifying that it has been modified under this scheme. Cars, unfortunately, don't seem to have any way to check that recalls have been actioned. Just because someone gets a letter telling them to pop in to have their dangerous braking sorted, doesn't mean that they will bother. A recall is two sided, in that the manufacturer issues a recall, and the consumer or end user complies. If either one fails, then there could be a dangerous issue that is unobserved.

Maybe recalls should be graded, with the most serious recalls being compulsory, and failure to remedy the situation would result in an MOT failure.

The insurance industry can create and maintain a database of insured vehicles, so why can't someone create a database of VINs and Recalls and Compliances?

Being able to query a VIN and determining if the vehicle has been modified in accordance with the manufacturer's maintenance schedule should be a legal requirement of selling and buying.

Where the chief danger lies I feel is when the vehicle leaves the manufacturer / dealer service "sphere of influence" . I can appreciate there are good economic reasons of this with older cars but without regular presentation of the vehicle to a link back to the manufacturer I feel cars are inevitably going to slip through the net. :dk:

So Mercedes got back to me after I sent them an email enquiry about the two codes, quite happy it's not affected and actually turned out one of them has already been carried out three years ago!

In response to your e-mail dated 14th January 2017 in regards to any recalls on your vehicle.

I can confirm that there are no outstanding recalls on your vehicle.

To reference your e-mail, recall R/2010/156 was carried out on your vehicle on 6/02/2013. Recall R/2010/150 is not required on your vehicle

Where the chief danger lies I feel is when the vehicle leaves the manufacturer / dealer service "sphere of influence" . I can appreciate there are good economic reasons of this with older cars but without regular presentation of the vehicle to a link back to the manufacturer I feel cars are inevitably going to slip through the net. :dk:

When I had the Renault, I received notice of recall to my home address. I was not the first owner. Presumably the manufacturers send notices by post based on the Registered Keeper details that they obtain from the DVLA.

But as suggested earlier this will only apply to safety-related items - other modifications will only be carried-out if the car is presented to the dealer.

The DVLA has little trouble locating car owners for speeding tickets, so why should it be any more difficult if they had to do it for safety recalls?

For owners to receive all product recall info, seems straightforward to put in place?
* each auto manufacturer maintain a global database of their sold vehicles indexed by VIN (so imported ones are automatically included)
* each vehicle has a recall record M-B dealers must keep updated (as all recall work should be done by them, they have the precise info)
* for any recall, country manufacturers (eg M-B UK) must supply the complete list of affected VINs, recall blurb and costs, to DVLA whose duty* it is to mail the registered keepers. *Speeding tickets are meant to improve road safety, this too.
* Additionally M-B dealers contact keepers for cars they have records for.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom