Air compressor for spraying

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

spock500

Car
S124
Hi all,

Have been thinking about buying one of these for a a while to spray a couple of panels on my W202.

I tried a quick search of the forum but all a/c related threads :eek:

It seems to be the 'oil free' ones are best used for spraying but not 100% on that, really just going by the blurb that I've read, also the one that I found on fleabay is offered at a package but is not oil free so not sure?

Any suggestions?

b94d_1_bl.JPG

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI....m=350104380131&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=022

Just a suggestion - if you're only planning on painting two panels surely it's not an economical purchase? You'd be better off either borrowing one from somebody or paying to get the panels painted.

9.2CFM will be fine for most painting jobs but it's not going to be man enough to run many larger air tools - eg sanders or impact guns etc.

They're quite handy for other tasks I guess, I used mine for painting quite a few other things, pumping up tyres, handy for blowing stuff out eg when servicing etc but I've also managed to live without now for over a year! (currently in storage)

Will

Cheers Will,

Yup, its not an essential item but I think long term it would be a good investment.

I have a second car project which also has a few panels, bits and bobs that could do with painting.

Does it matter if its oil free or not?

That one is 50 litres/ 9,2cfm but you think that's too small for other tools?

What would you recommend cfm wise to be used universally ?

Bigger is better but you've got to draw the line somewhere I guess!

That one on eBay has a 3hp pump, that's the biggest you can run from a normal UK mains outlet. Otherwise you're looking at a seperate spur from the main fuse box (like a cooker supply or immersion heater has).

The one you're looking at will probably be fine for most purposes, but if you were to try and use it for undoing wheel bolts with a 1/2" drive impact gun, you'll find that it just won't work, the gun will struggle due to the lack of air flow. Note air flow - not pressure!

Mine isn't an 'oil free' type either, and that was fine for painting I found. I guess theoretically you should have a filter/moisture trap as well though.

Remember that you won't be able to paint in two-pack unless you've got the correct facilities (eg a proper air-fed mask, and I think you're supposed to use an special extracter as well?)

Will

I must admit I hadn't thought about the type of paint to use although I was aware of the dangers with two pack -

Do you get good results with non two pack (what ever that is)?

I guess I could just buy a smaller compressor and just use it for painting, this one is 6cfm -

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI....m=110293614566&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=001

Yep that should be fine for painting I would say, might as well get the better one though if you have the opportunity I guess.

Have you got a Machine Mart near you? They normally do quite a few compressors for you to look at, easier to sort out if it goes wrong if it's local I would think too.

Will

when buying air tools read all the guff it will tell you what cfm you need for the best results on my spray gun it was 13cfm but a gravity feed one might be less

i got one just like that with a 5 piece accessory kit from Aldi for £65... best £65 ive spent i wreckon... really good bit of kit, perfect for light spray work and blowing up the odd tyre quickly!

I was told by machinemart that I wouldn't be able to use a 1/2" windy gun on a 8cfm/25l compressor I had. I never had a problem with it on wheel nuts and things torqued up to about 120lb/ft, and it has been very useful on rusty nuts.

I have sprayed a few panels with it, but anything bigger than a wing you will run out of air.

I guess I could just buy a smaller compressor and just use it for painting, this one is 6cfm -

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI....m=110293614566&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=001

You will struggle with a 6cfm compressor. Also check on the rated pressure, most compressors are 8 bar, but some of the cheaper ones are less. As the pressure is lower there is obviously less air in the tank, so it will run out sooner

The cfm rating determines how much air is produced. So you have to check the spray gun etc you are using. Most of the good ones ate 12 and above , so it your compressor only produces 8, you will run out of air. But if you are using a little touch up gun which only uses 6 cfm, you will ok

Thanks chaps, still not 100% sure which one to go for but I guess 50 ltrs and 9+ on the cfm side should do it -

Even if you bought one that was less can you not stop and wait for the motor to cut in and re-charge the tank?

Never thought of Aldi, will have a prod about on their webby site :)

I have exactly the same compressor, bought it a few months back.

It is fine for a 1/2" impact gun for random jobs, I just pulled a Rover V8 apart with one.

I'll be getting an air receiver of around 150/ 200 litres to go inline with the tank and it will do any job you could want for the DIY style garage, I was very pleased.

You have to be doing a hell of a large panel for you to run out of air. The compressor charges the tank very quickly as it is, only issue is the thing starting and stopping so much, hence me looking at air receivers.

Dave!

I have exactly the same compressor, bought it a few months back.

It is fine for a 1/2" impact gun for random jobs, I just pulled a Rover V8 apart with one.

I'll be getting an air receiver of around 150/ 200 litres to go inline with the tank and it will do any job you could want for the DIY style garage, I was very pleased.

You have to be doing a hell of a large panel for you to run out of air. The compressor charges the tank very quickly as it is, only issue is the thing starting and stopping so much, hence me looking at air receivers.

Dave!

Which one Dave, the bigger one up top?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom