Air Compressor & Nailer Recommendations/Advice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rockits

MB Enthusiast
Car
2005 E55K Estate; 2020 Jaguar I-Pace HSE;2004 E500 Estate;2005 Alfa GT V6;306GTi-6;206 GTi 180
I'm going to be extending the garage and will be doing some framing/stud work then cladding the outside. To make the job as easy and quick as it can be I am looking at getting a framing nailer. It seems the air option seems to offer the best performance/price ratio. This works well as I can get an air compressor for the garage for this and lots of other jobs.

A starter kit or bundle seems like a good idea if it came with a nailer, impact wrench and any other useful attachments.

Anyone have such kit, know anything about them and/or can offer any advice or recommendations please?

Lee

My advice. You cannot really go to big on the compressor, but can very easily go to small and end up out of puff very quickly. This is pants as you are constantly waiting on the compressor to catch up. Go for the biggest/largest capacity tank you can afford. I have a small JCB (25ltr, 2.5hp) and it is just too small really. Fine for the odd job but gets out of puff after about a 30 seconds on the trigger. It is fine for small jobs.

Best advice I can give is to work backwards from the tools you will use. So a good quality nailer will require xx air pressure. A good saw will require xx pressure. Then get a good hose (Screw Fix) and good quality tool connectors (cheap is leaky) so you lose pressure through the connectors.

I regret buying a good quality (JCB) compressor that is just to small now for the jobs I want to do. My next step is to sell my compressor, keep all the tools and buy a bigger compressor.

Be wary of second hand ones. Why? Well most people who have these keep them for life, just like good tools. If they are selling it is usually because it is broken or (like mine) it is breathless.

Last edited:
Have to agree with above post, i also have a 25 ltr tank, its great for blowing tyres up etc but struggles with anything else.

s500colin said:
I wanted a large capacity of air to blow up adult space hoppers etc which this handles with ease.

Oh yes, yes, yes. Dirty boy.

Is this done naked whilst covered in olive oil?

Sent from my iPhone using MBClub UK

Oh yes, yes, yes. Dirty boy.

Is this done naked whilst covered in olive oil?

Just For You Bruce

Space%20Hoppers_zpsi9mxhlto.jpg

If you fancy trying it I'll lend you one. Personally I think you might get a few strange looks riding one of these naked covered in olive oil

If you fancy trying it I'll lend you one. Personally I think you might get a few strange looks riding one of these naked covered in olive oil

There's plenty of members here that would make a donation to charity to see him try though. :D

s500colin said:
Just For You Bruce If you fancy trying it I'll lend you one. Personally I think you might get a few strange looks riding one of these naked covered in olive oil

Colin

May I ask why? What is the story?

I have to say it looks great fun. I foresee many hospital visits if drink is involved.

Brought Them a few years ago because I used to help out at a local youth club for 10 to 16 year olds and every year I used to help run a

district scout camp for between 300 to 400 young people. They were always a favourite with them especially space hopper 5 a side football.

They are also a great laugh at family parties and barbeques.

Last edited:
Back on topic, I much prefer my Paslode framing nailer for the freedom of use.

I understand air nailer would be cheaper though as a new Paslode is close on £400 inc the dreaded. (And the nail packs aren't cheap.) not sure I'd want a used one that's been neglected.

As Bruce said. A decent compressor will help. However the capacity isn't so important for a nailer as they don't actually take much air volume to work the punch.

eBay has a huge selection of nailers that are all much of a muchness. It's more the maintenance that's important to keep them running smoothly.

Ant.

As Ant said really. I borrowed a gas nailer when laying some oak flooring. What a brilliant machine. Easy to use with no trailing cables or air lines. The braids come in nice bandana's and all shapes and sizes.

The benefit of a con
compressor being that you can use it for all sorts of tools and jobs.

As Ant said really. I borrowed a gas nailer when laying some oak flooring. What a brilliant machine. Easy to use with no trailing cables or air lines. The braids come in nice bandana's and all shapes and sizes.

The benefit of a con
compressor being that you can use it for all sorts of tools and jobs.

Yes Bruce. The one that you used would be the 2nd fix nailer. Brads from 19-64mm. I'm now a lazy joiner the last 7 years. Honestly can't remember the last time I used my Estwing hammer and a pouch full of Roundheads :dk:

Although I do miss the days of cut nails for fixing skirting boards. :rolleyes:

Ant.

Having gone through exactly the same thing not so long ago, here's my take.

Compressor - I bought a FIAC Workhorse 100litre 11 bar belt drive machine. It wasn't cheap, I tried that first with a SIP machine, which was total crap in comparison.

Nailers - for framing, I got a DeWalt DPN9033SM, which I've been pleased with. For smaller stuff, I bought various nailer and stapler options from Axminster. I'm currently in the process of choosing a finishing nailer.

Forgot to add, I also attached two airlines to the compressor, so I can have mire than one tool attached at a time. With a nice long air line, I can get to work pretty much anywhere around the home and most of the garden.

As he said.

A Paslode coupled with a cordles skillsaw allows me to felt and batten a roof in about a third of the time.

You must be an upper class roofer Darrell. All the roofers I know just chew through the battens or snap them in half at the nearest knot. :D

(And I wouldn't trust any of them with a nail gun or ripsaw. :crazy:)

Ant.

You must be an upper class roofer Darrell. All the roofers I know just chew through the battens or snap them in half at the nearest knot. :D

(And I wouldn't trust any of them with a nail gun or ripsaw. :crazy:)

Ant.

Those two additions have made life so much easier. When breathable felt came out, it was a revalation. No more stinky, heavy and fragile roofing felt.

And yes, we like to think we are a cut above the norm......even our scaffolders use toilet paper!

......even our scaffolders use toilet paper!

This confirms my thoughts. You are truely upper class. :thumb:

Yes, thank god 1F is a thing of the past. The modern day felt's are a dream to work with.

Ant. ;)

Our roofer was caught by our youngest child peeing off the scaffolding! :eek:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom