Air-Con condenser replacement

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jjoe

Car
99 SL280
Hello Folks,

My 1999 W202 C220 CDI has a leak in its air con due to a crack in a pipe to the condenser. I am being advised by the garage to have the condenser together with tank replaced. With labour, recharge and gas etc. this obviously is a tidy outlay so I have to decide if its worthwhile investment. The car is at about 79000 miles with full MB history from new. However the previous owner was in the military and I don't know if the low mileage means the car was unused for periods while the chap concerned was away on service. So I am wondering whether the air-con system is in good shape.

Any opinions as to whether the outlay is worth it or not would be gratefully received. Anything to keep my cool..!

Thanks in advance.

You may find if the a/c system has not been used for a while the compressor may not be in the best condition and the various rubber seals may be in poor condition too. Also if you regass the system after the condensor has been replaced you may have more leaks.

The only way to find out is to get the condensor fitted and the system regassed!!

I would say it would be worth it. Its only getting hotter..

If there is a crack in the pipe to the condensor, just change that pipe, the condensor will be OK. Would be worth changing the receiver dryer as these are fairly cheap.

Once all of the new parts are fitted, make sure the company you are using Vacs down the system to ensure it has no further leaks, and that they refill it with the recomended amount of refigerant (and lubricating oil)

HTH:D

I didn't read it properly. Just replace the pipe......

I am being told by the garage that the pipe that is cracked is integral with the condenser which is why the condenser itself has to be replaced.
As for changing the receiver dryer is this likely to be the so called 'tank' the garage refers to by any chance? The 'tank' was described to me as containing crystals which can degrade with a fault in the system and that they change it as a matter of course for this type of job. The estimate shows the tank as 'MA202 830 00 08 G040704 Tank' at approx £70.00 (UK). Thanks for opinions so far.

The filter drier will only required to be changed if there has been an extended time period lapse, with no gas present in the system. It's there to capture any moisture in the system. Moisture and refrigeration don't go well together, ice pellets can form around expansion devices or wherever there is a pressure drop from discharge side to suction side of the system.
"good engineering practice" of changing adds to the cost, but is often not necessary. A good fridge guy will know when and not to. Doing a belts and braces job is fine, but most will advise you to change the bits, and then miss the obvious tiny leaks!....defeating the object of the exercise.:rolleyes:

when I replaced my condenser last year I was advised to change the dryer (tank in your case) quite frankly, whilst the system is stripped down it's worth changing for the aded reassurances it gives you for a relatively small additional outlay.

with a few tools you could do the job yourself, what you sabve in garage labour charges you can spend on a new dryer and the regassing :)

Andy

I am being told by the garage that the pipe that is cracked is integral with the condenser which is why the condenser itself has to be replaced.
As for changing the receiver dryer is this likely to be the so called 'tank' the garage refers to by any chance? The 'tank' was described to me as containing crystals which can degrade with a fault in the system and that they change it as a matter of course for this type of job. The estimate shows the tank as 'MA202 830 00 08 G040704 Tank' at approx £70.00 (UK). Thanks for opinions so far.

I would be slightly worried about an a/c engineer calling the receiver/dryer a tank, unless he's just simplifying it for you, personaly i think it would be worth fitting the dryer, i got one for mine for £50 and the condensor £165, thankfully i have the kit to re-gas as i do this as part of my job as a service engineer.

Just had the C43 A/C done.

New Condenser £ 205.63

New Reciever Drier £ 51.40

Service Recharge £ 70.00

2 Hrs Labour £ 84.00

Total £ 411.03 :(

Did mine last summer....

Condenser £165
Dryer £65
Regas £40

Total £265

about two hours messing about doing the job saved me £150 :)

Sorry for the delay replying - been away for a week.

The advice referring to the 'tank' is from an MB dealer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom