Air Con Confusion

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Guyver_dan

I have my C270 CDI now for 3 months and I have notices a drastic decline in its zircon. The temperature in the car stays the same with the zircon off or on.

This week we took it too our stearlership to get it looked at. After them keeping my car for the day they said nothing was wrong and proceeded to explain how to use my car.... (Even though I've had a Mercedes for over 4 years) This is where the confusion kicked in.

They told me that in order for the zircon to be on the red light needed to be on? We have a Thematic system where the AC button say "AC OFF" this to me would suggest that when the light is lit the AC is off :crazy:. As every other button in the car is active when the light is on, i.e. heated seats, disabled alarm, Auto, etc....

Now please feel free to say I’m wrong and that the light being on is correct to enable the AC. However if I am right has any one got a copy of the manual to say it, so that I may shove it under the stearlerships noise?

The stupid thins is that no matter what I try with the AC it refuses to reduce the temperature. And 9 times out of 10 it is hotter in the car then outside. If any ones got any advice I will be very great full.

Regards

Dan

On mine, red light on = AC compressor off.

I suggest the next hot day you take it down there and take someone out in it for 5 minutes. Then ask them to demonstrate the AC system, and ask them why it isn't cooling the car as it should.

Have you measured the temperature of the air coming from the vents in both modes (ie air conditioning switched off/on). If it's working you should notice the difference here :)

With regards to the operation of it, I find that the best method to cool a car down is to open windows/sunroof for the first minute or so to expel the bulk of the heat, close windows and then switch air con down to the lowest setting with recirculation enabled, and keep the car moving to get a decent flow of air through the condensor.

It will still take several minutes (maybe 10-20 or more) for almost any car to reach a comfortable temperature in the recent heatwave that we've been experiencing (30+C)

HTH,

Will

Guyver_dan said:
They told me that in order for the zircon to be on the red light needed to be on?

This is correct. The red light needs to be on for the air con to be activated...

If you don't mind me aking did they sting you with a diagnosis bill as no fault was found?

Flash said:
This is correct. The red light needs to be on for the air con to be activated...

If you don't mind me aking did they sting you with a diagnosis bill as no fault was found?

Our local stearlership is quite good with that regards if its in waranty there is no charge, unless its a consumable item... :)

Through my hunting, the online manuals say the light needs to be on but the manuals state the button as being "AC" not "AC off"? Is it just me that has ac off in their C class?

I have made a point to the stealership that my boses 02 C270 and his current 04 E class both worked cooler then my C. Even when it was working i had to run the AC on its lowest temperature to be comfortable, though every other merc ive been in you can run it around the 22 mark.

Luckly after a bit of a winge, they agreed to take the car back for a few days to investigate. They said that it registered at 4.5degrees which i cant believe its never been that cold, i think they tested the car indoors (which already has AC).

One last question is it normal to run the AC on a C class around 18 all the time?

Regards

Dan

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom