Air con. Continuing saga.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Flackadder

Car
C220 Sport 125 edition Cdi Blue Efficiency 5dr Auto Diesel Estate. W204.
Nearly solved.

Kwik Fit re-gased a few months ago and told me there are no leaks.

Month later...out of gas.

Mercedes had a look, re-gassed and said there are no leaks and Kwik Fit did not do it correctly.

Went back to Mercedes who tell me that three technicians had a look and found no leak. So it must be down to the old gassing machine they no longer use...they said. They then re-gassed.

Went to a local garage who tested the system and found to be stable, but agreed there must be a leak so added some UV dye.

So, purchased a UV torch (£2.50 off eBay) opened the bonnet late in evening and looked about. Just behind front grill and in front of radiator appears to be a couple pipes with something to do with air con......bright yellow patch under the light from UV torch. How difficult was that to find!!

So have booked back at Mercedes. I shall give them a little bit of a 'chat', pass them the torch to add to tool kit and suggest that if they have any further air con issues with their cars.....give me a call!!

Never ceases to amaze me how so called professionals just don't seem to care enough to investigate such problems.

Well done with your detective work, I wager it will have saved you a few squids.

Well I never knew a UV Light was useful for detecting Air Con Leaks. So good work there.
Seems also useful for taking with you to a hotel room !

" ideal for finding gas leaks, tracking powder, reading invisible ink. Useful for checking for counterfeit bank notes, security markers etc. It can also be used to detect urine, e.g. cat, dog, rodent and human or other bodily fluids like semen, whether at a crime scene, business or at home, hotel etc. Also a detector for cleanliness level checks, or private investigations! "

Can also be had (from Ebay) for just 99p inc postage from China ( no batteries though ) How do they do it ? Seems a worth while investment .

So have booked back at Mercedes. I shall give them a little bit of a 'chat', pass them the torch to add to tool kit and suggest that if they have any further air con issues with their cars.....give me a call!!

You could remind them that it is illegal to regas any leaking air con until all the leaks are fixed.

Russ

Give them a break.

To find a leak they pressure test the system with gas and a uv dye. If it takes months to lose the pressure then that leak is going to be very slow, very small and almost impossible to spot in 30 minutes.

Well I never knew a UV Light was useful for detecting Air Con Leaks. So good work there.
Seems also useful for taking with you to a hotel room !

" ideal for finding gas leaks, tracking powder, reading invisible ink. Useful for checking for counterfeit bank notes, security markers etc. It can also be used to detect urine, e.g. cat, dog, rodent and human or other bodily fluids like semen, whether at a crime scene, business or at home, hotel etc. Also a detector for cleanliness level checks, or private investigations! "

Can also be had (from Ebay) for just 99p inc postage from China ( no batteries though ) How do they do it ? Seems a worth while investment .

Time for some well deserved rest i think:thumb:

tony.

davidjpowell, it may well be difficult to find the leak, (but not according to the OP), unfortunately for the mecahnics, that's their job!

Maybe they should consider a less challenging line of employment?

I had a similar saga, multiple regasses by Qwik Fit equivalent, followed by diagnosis by Indie and MB service centre that I have an evaporator leak. About the most expensive problem that could occur (dash out to replace and over £400 part from Germany as its so rare). 61 plate car, so out of warranty (60k on the clock) . MB will only offer me a pathetic goodwill contribution. Not happy!

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

Had AC fun with my other half's SL, was empty when we bought it (didn't test with roof down).

Qwik Fit went to regas and couldn't, got a mobile chap I know to do it. He used UV dye and a UV torch which highlighted the leak quite easily.

I'm surprised an MB dealer didn't do that. I'm far from a mechanic but even I know that check haha

Give them a break.

To find a leak they pressure test the system with gas and a uv dye. If it takes months to lose the pressure then that leak is going to be very slow, very small and almost impossible to spot in 30 minutes.

That's true but they shouldn't say there aren't any leaks, just that they can't find it and then not charge to refill it.

You only lose gas if there is a leak!

Give them a break.

They don't pressure test, they vacuum test which can miss small leaks. And you certainly don't keep regassing a car that loses it's charge consistently, you investigate further.

Out of interest on the return visits to MB for re-check and no fault found, did they charge you?

Nearly solved.

Kwik Fit re-gased a few months ago and told me there are no leaks.

Mercedes had a look, re-gassed and said there are no leaks and Kwik Fit did not do it correctly.

Went back to Mercedes who tell me that three technicians had a look and found no leak. So it must be down to the old gassing machine they no longer use...they said. They then re-gassed.

Went to a local garage who tested the system and found to be stable, but agreed there must be a leak so added some UV dye.

So, purchased a UV torch (£2.50 off eBay) opened the bonnet late in evening and looked about. Just behind front grill and in front of radiator appears to be a couple pipes with something to do with air con......bright yellow patch under the light from UV torch. How difficult was that to find!!

Out of interest on the return visits to MB for re-check and no fault found, did they charge you?

No. Well, yes for the first time. I shall mention that when car is dropped off.

I just want it fixed is all.

If it had all leaked out over say, a year, then I would'nt be too bothered. Just in less then a month (actually) is pushing it a little.

Bottom line is that they knew there must be a leak and failed to find it. If they had (the second visit) threw a load of dye in and asked me to check or invite me back for them to check for the yellow, that would have been best result.

Rather worrying as the air con gas is a carcinogenic :eek: They should be testing for leaks with an inert dyed gas.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom