Air con install on vito 2007

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

sam74

Car
mercedes vito 2007 long wheelbase
HI All
I'm thinking of installing air con in my 2007 long wheelbase vito. I'm considering getting all the parts of a Vito that's up for breaking. Is it a feasible job or just not worth the hassle? I love the van and would only change it because the lack of air con and my family trips to spain. (This year has been horrendous LOL)
Any tech suggestions or wise advise would be greatful. I consider myself to be a fairly competent mechanic...
thanks
Sam

I'm surprised, I thought all 639's would have AC, it working is another issue.

My decision to instal or exchange would depend on a few factors, especially considering the significant journies to Spain.

Which 639 do you have.
My ideal choice would be the 115, c/w lower ratio diff for cruising.
The V6 would be nicer if you don't mind the extra 20% in fuel and any downside of it having a DPF.

The mileage and likely longevity of your Vito.

Do you already have the extras you would like in the ideal world?

I like the versatility of the rear seat rails, with seat/s in /out option, even the Viano for extra luxury but comes at additional road tax cost. But if you use it as a workhorse the more basic might suit better.

In truth changing the vehicle would be my lazier choice.

HI m80
I bought the can it's a 115 and it was owned but a band in London who had done loads of mods on it like lowered suspension, VW leather bucket seats in the front etc. It's done 140000 miles doesn't have cruise control but it works well and the lowered suspension helps me park in Canary wharf etc even with my roof rack on.
It is a workhorse for 11 months out of the year so I'm not overly precious about it, if I upgraded to a Viano for example I'd really not want to be loading it up with 15 sheets of plasterboard etc...
Oh and by the way, I thought it had aircon when I bought it lol

I my take your advice and go for the lazy option...

There are 2 types of AC system, I've no experience but think the better is a climate control. Truth is of the 3 Vi's I've owned none have had working AC due to issues of leaks.

I use my cruise regularly and would miss it loads.

The 115 had the lower ratio diff as an option that being the 3.182 (35:11) and I think most would have that, but the VIN check would confirm.
The higher ratio diff would be better for London traffic as it would pull away with less labouring. The lower ratio is nicer for cruising at lower revs.
The V6 3 litre would have the 2.923 (38:13) and at 60mph would drop the revs by another 200+ revs.
The V6 CDI is a far superior drive, smoother, far quieter, more powerful although the 115 is more than adequate imo. A mapped V6 is a beast when pushed.
All V6's have the DPF and will use approx 20%more fuel.

You can also fit softer side wall tyres on the Viano, but higher speed rating, and may make the ride less harsh. It is better anyway due to the suspension set up.

I wouldn't want the MB Comand system as I think fitting an Andriod HU is far superior. The comand also updates the dash clock and when removed you can't adjust it or you need a session on star tyo reprogramme. Another down of the Viano is that it looks like the phone package was standard, it's out of date and there is another OBD menu page that's no purpose.
An Android would provide for BT anyway.

The Traveliner (Vito) and the Viano will have heat and AC to the rear. If it matters this can be switched off at the front.
Viano electric doors, if fitted, can be problematic.
I don't imagine you would have purpose for heated seats, up 'ere we do.

Not all Vito's have the oem alarm system, the lack of movement sensors in the o/h light / control cluster gives that away.

Don't you have to consider the need for Euro 6 in London?

Ive retro fitted both front & rear ac in my Vito but then again i like a challenge...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom