Air Con Question

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Denis O

Car
SL350 R230
My SL500 is currently at the dealer having the air con tested. It was running cold but not as good as it has been in the past. The dealer called to say it needs re-charging and, incidentally, that they will charge me £152 for the privilege.
Is it normal for systems to need re-charging as a normal course of events or does it suggest there may be a leak somewhere which may require replacement of some horrendously expensive part.
The car is still under it's 1 year Signature warranty until end October so I would like a diagnosis before then so I can get any work carried out under warranty.

Hi,

No they shouldnt in theory need recharging, it means you have a small leak somewhere. If they recharge, it will probably outlast your warranty, but will still leak.

Speak to this guy

http://www.ac4cars.co.uk/

His name is John, he's mobile, and he's in Kent !!

Top work on my 300SL when I first got it :D

Oh - and a lot lot cheaper !!

Mark

Last edited:
Mark,
What an excellent site. The info on one of the links is superb and it would appear that 4 years is about average. My car is nearly 6 years old so it's probably lasted pretty well.
The job is already being done by my dealer but I'll certainly be using this company if i have any further Air Con problems with mine or my better halfs Range Rover.

My aircon was struggling on Saturday so I thought it was low on refridgerant. I took the car in to a local inde and they checked the output temp.
On recirc it was at 11.9 C in full sunshine. He added some extra refidgerant and it brought it down to 8 C.
The system was fully charged to spec, but he said MB cars often struggle and more gas enables the system to work harder.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom