Air conditioning re gassed today by Kwik Fit

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DSM10000

Hardcore MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
MX5 1.8 Sport, Range Rover 5.0 SC, BMW X1
The last few hot days have shown that the A/C was not working very well as it has been taking up to 15 minutes to get the car to a comfortable temperature

Deciding to get a re-gas I went to Kwik Fit in Salisbury for an 11:00 am appointment, things were running a little late but by 11:15 they had started. An hour later they had finished, the automated system could not extract any refrigerant gas apparently although there had been some cooling effect and according to the print out the system had added 0.85 Kg of new refrigerant gas and 10ml of lubricant oil and no leaks were detected.

The employee carrying out the work (who was also the manager) tried to tell me that the system had added 850Kg of gas. :eek:

When I suggested this was incorrect and it was 850g he insisted it was Kg even though I explained that this was over half of the stated kerb weight for my car. He told me that "the air con system is one of the heaviest parts of your car":wallbash:

The print out shows 00.850Kg of refrigerant added, I am guessing science and mathematics are not his strong point and this is possibly why they use automated equipment?

Total cost as advertised was £49 although whilst waiting someone came in enquiring about re gassing on a small fleet of cars and he received a quote of £30 per re-gas so it may pay to haggle if you have more than one car requiring this service.

The system is now cooling far more quickly so it seems like a good investment!

Lugging that 850kg of gas around is going to kill the fuel economy! :D

It's a good thing your petrol tank holds 80'000 litres of fuel.

I'm not sure about that, is it heavier or lighter than air?
It could aid fuel economy if lighter.:rolleyes:

LOL...

850kg of any type of gas is still going to weigh 850kg :D

Wow, That's some A/C system!!!

850kg = 1874lbs - 1 gallon of water weighs 10lbs, so if the refrigerant gas is somewhere near the same weight in it's liquid form, that's 187.4 gallons of the stuff..... It's no wonder the A/C system is one of the heaviest parts of your car! :doh: :wallbash:

Reminds me of an old maths teacher and one of his favourite questions. Which is heavier, 10lbs of lead or 10lbs of feathers? :D

As for the so called manager at Kwik-Fit..........ignorance is bliss :dk::dk:

If the refrigerating gas is lighter than air... I would tie-down the car to the garage floor overnight.

If the refrigerating gas is lighter than air... I would tie-down the car to the garage floor overnight.

It is OK Mark, it currently has three chickens sitting on it1
:cool:

are you sure they are not turkeys?........if so quick-fit will be down on the staff front

All a bit airy fairy to me...

Reminds me of when i used to build flying model aircraft.
I used to add lead to the nose to balance it, until someone suggested I use aluminium to save weight....

850kg? Must be their heavy duty gas.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom