Air Filters E320 CDI

Discussion in 'Engine' started by harveyn, Dec 10, 2008.

1. harveyn

harveyn Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    212 E350cdi Estate
    Hi,
    I recently had a second service carried out on our E320 CDI estate at 31,500 miles. The garage suggested that the air filters might need replacing, so I thought they can't be hard to fit, so I asked them to supply the parts.

Each is held in place with four Torix 20 screws, but there is so little space to work in, it took ages. I accessed the lower ones by holding a shortened T20 bit strapped inside a 7mm spanner, which in turn was strapped to a long hack saw blade to get leverage with flexibility. I then used a long screwdriver in the other hand push the T20 into the head of the screw whilst turning the extended spanner.

I wasn't expecting them to look like this!

Presumably there is a proper tool which the garage uses to do this and I would imagine the fuel economy will improve.

Attached Files:

2. SilverSaloon

SilverSaloon MB Club Veteran

Car:
    1994 W124 E300D Estate, 1985 R107 280SL
    is that dirt or oil on them?

i suspect they have never been changed?!

3. Gareth

Gareth Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    MX-5 Recaro
    hmm, probably worth me checking mine!!

4. GeorgeA

GeorgeA Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    W212
    Four years or 35k is the scheduled replacement on a C220 CDI.
    Certainly looks like yours needed changing. Why was this not simply undertaken by the garage during the service?.

I also changed mine myself after a service and the filter was full of dirt. Garages obviously do not even lift the lid to have a look. Best done on a cold engine as well -saves burning fingers.

5. OP
    OP
    harveyn

harveyn Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    212 E350cdi Estate
    They were the original filters, the car is 'high mileage' only 21 months old. I decided to do it myself to save the labour charge, I hadn't appreciated how fiddly a job it was going to be. The dirt looks like caked on soil, not oil. The air inflow must have been reduced massively.

6. rf065

rf065 Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    SLC300 - C250d Estate 4 Matic & Z900rs
    Are you sure, Mercedes changed mine at the first B service, 2 years old & only 21,000 miles.

Russ

7. GeorgeA

GeorgeA Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    W212
    I complained when the air filter was not changed at 24k on its B service and was advised by the service dept that 4 years and 35k was the interval. It does not state this in my servive manual. I changed it myself as it was full of dust and dirt. It was only £14 so hardly a huge expense. Can't understand why it was not replaced anyway.