Air leak Airmatic

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

sweeper

Car
Vito 116cdi, 2011 R Class 350cdi 4matic, Mitsubishi Outlander, Viano 2.2
I have had a small leak on the left front, noticeable after a few days standing and noted in previous service history, checked the airbag and couldn't see any leaks, when checking the top of the strut i did manage to knock the air pipe out very easily and this needs cutting off and refitting (pushed it back in for now as i intend fitting new pipe and didn't have any.) I cut the pipe and fitted a tap at near the strut and switched this off overnight and no leak, even after a day or two, so it's either the line or the valve block, I checked the valve block (which is easy to see just behind the l/h headlamp) no leak found so I bought a new brass fitting and some pipe and strung a temporary line to the strut and the suspension has been up all week, I am very please as I expected this to cost me few hundred in airbags/struts or valve block which is £286 from Merc. at the weekend I'll replace the entire line and at the same time replace my exhaust back pressure sensor which is playing up and causing a lack of power (no boost) from time to time.
It was definitely worth having the ball valve to isolate the air bag first, they are about £5 and i got one with 4mm push type fittings, one thing to be careful of, some pneumatic pipe is only rated at 10bar which i used but it is a bit soft and the 10bar isn't really enoug, it just happens I had some kicking around at work, so for the proper repair i'll use nylon which is rated at around 20bar and can be bought for around 1.80 a meter, even cheaper if you buy a roll, so the repair will only cost me about a tenner, I'll be interested to see why the line is leaking as it's pretty abrasion proof and only runs across the front and up to the strut top.

damaged pipe was found, now replaced and the suspension stays up as it shouldIMG_2009.JPGIMG_2008.JPG

So, since fixing the leaking line to l/h front all appears well with the suspension staying up overnight or several nights, but I have noticed the compressor to be running more often than I would expect it to, noticeable by the blow off sound as the pressure limit is reached and the compressor turns off, I suspect maybe another leak. this time on the line to the reservoir. So this morning I started it up and as expected the car didn't have to level and the compressor didn't run so it's not lost reservoir pressure overnight, I activated the rise function and the compressor started a second or two after the car started to raise and as expected it soon reached pressure and the distinctive blow off sound was heard, as it lowered there was a slight hiss as it started to lower and then quite quiet as it dropped to correct level.
It may be just that the vehicle is adjusting a lot due to temperature etc. and of course rising after high speed lowering, it's just odd as I didn't notice it previously. does anyone else notice this on the cars with Airmatic?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom