Air Mass Meter

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

amdxp

Car
MB C180 (AMG facelift)
I just owned my car for about 7mths, it's a C180 (yr 94) with AMG facelift. I have been reading about MB's problematic areas, which most of the time, is the AIR MASS METER.

But, what is it exactly ? Is that for the airbag ? How do we take care of it ?

Also my car is reaching 100k miles, when it the time I will be required to change the timing chain ?

C180 doesn't have a MAS. The timing chain is a CHAIN so does not need changing.

Originally posted by Koolvin
The timing chain is a CHAIN so does not need changing.

That is the official line anyway.

I think you should see many more miles yet. My last 3 cars have all had chains not belts and when they start to eventually stretch a little, they get slack. You should notice it will be noticably noisy and should give you plenty of warning to get it changed or tensioned, before it decides to hop off.

WELL, i am not too worried then. Coz since I took over the car from my brother, I have replaced the cable harness (cost me US$470 !!), front arm bust, front ball joint, spring etc. Just worry on any other thing may haunt me further.

Having said that, I do realise MB is a very reliable brand. With its age, the car still perform quite well (if compare to a similar age H.Accord or toyota, not too sure abt BMW) I get lots of envies from others too ! Top speed still reached 125mph, I guessed that is the rated top speed for a C180 already.

Took Koovin's advise to order a greenfilter lately, hope to enjoy the improved driving later.

BTW, I remember my uncle's W124 timing chain failure, cost him a bomb to get the car fixed as the timing chain broke during cruising on highway !!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom