Air purifier?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

clk320x

Hardcore MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
Tesla Model S, Model 3 LR, Model X /// Previous: Jaguar XFR, Mercedes E320 CDI, C32 AMG, CLK 320
Anyone got one?

Anyone got one?

Yes, they are called windows.

Why do you need one? I am unsure what possible benefit they could be in a standard domestic environment unless you or someone in the family had some specific medical condition that may warrant using one in specific areas but even then a unit like that can only make a relatively small difference to the relatively large volume of air that is contained in a house?

A house is not a sealed unit so it is always going to be bringing in new air from outside. If you have a mould problem causing health issues then this is a sticking plaster soution.

I would suggest the large discount is down to poor sales and / or poor buyers experiences?

Yes, they are called windows.

Not sure how that helps remove airborn contaminants? Surely you are just letting more in, as well as exhaust fumes from passing cars?

a unit like that can only make a relatively small difference to the relatively large volume of air that is contained in a house?

218m^3/hr rate of filtration, more than adequate for a room isn’t it?

A house is not a sealed unit so it is always going to be bringing in new air from outside. If you have a mould problem causing health issues then this is a sticking plaster soution.

No mould problem here :)

However I also can’t see any harm in using air filtration, removing any dust/pet dander/contaminants that may be floating around in the air. Vacuuming can only do so much.

It has the same 4 stage filtration as the more expensive units, see below,

Stage 1 - Pre-Filter - Captures large airborne particles including dust and pet air.

Stage 2 - True HEPA Filter - Removes any smaller particles that pass through the pre-filter including dust mites, pollen, pet dander and other allergy triggers. 99.97% of 0.3 micron particles are captured at this stage.

Stage 3 - Activated Carbon Filter - Efficiently absorbs contaminants, impurities, household odours and harmful Volatile Organic Compounds (VOC’s)

Stage 4 - Cold Catalyst Filter - A final guard to trap any final impurities.

I would suggest the large discount is down to poor sales and / or poor buyers experiences?

The dyson units at £400+ and the Philips units at £300+ are selling very well. I assume this is cheaper as it’s unbranded? Most of the Amazon RRP ‘discounts’ are much like ECP discounts, always there :)

The reviews look very good too :)

Last edited:
Not sure how that helps remove airborn contaminants? Surely you are just letting more in, as well as exhaust fumes from passing cars?

218m^3/hr rate of filtration, more than adequate for a room isn’t it?

No mould problem here :)

However I also can’t see any harm in using air filtration, removing any dust/pet dander/contaminants that may be floating around in the air. Vacuuming can only do so much.

The dyson units at £400+ and the Philips units at £300+ are selling very well. I assume this is cheaper as it’s unbranded? Most of the Amazon RRP ‘discounts’ are much like ECP discounts, always there :)

The reviews look very good too :)

But you are not filtering a room unless it is sealed, the air flows around the entire building. HEPA filters will not have any significant effect on exhaust fumes. If you have no existing problems what are you going to achieve?

Opening windows can be a great aid to bringing in fresher air, modern homes with double / triple glazing and high thermal insulation values can feel stale etc if left shut up.The whole world is full of things that we can potentially react towards but allergies etc are much more prevalent in modern societies.

As for reviews, I pay little attention to them as they are often poorly written and can,in some cases, be selectively published, plus with things like this there is a degree of placebo effect

It will do no harm other than chip a little off the bank account and add a little to the electricity bill :)

Last edited:
But you are not filtering a room unless it is sealed, the air flows around the entire building. HEPA filters will not have any significant effect on exhaust fumes. If you have no existing problems what are you going to achieve?

Sorry I should have clarified, if I were to buy I would have 1 per room.

I never said I was trying to filter out exhaust fumes, these machines can filter out dust/pet dander, basically anything bigger than 0.3 micron. As you said yourself, modern homes are designed to keep heat in. Therefore there isn’t much ‘fresh’ air entering, in winter even less as windows are not open.

You still don’t see any benefits of having those contaminants caught in a filter, rather than you breathing them in? :)

Sure, the ciliated respiratory tract can catch some airborn contaminants, but not all.

Last edited:
Sorry I should have clarified, if I were to buy I would have 1 per room.

I never said I was trying to filter out exhaust fumes, these machines can filter out dust/pet dander, basically anything bigger than 0.3 micron. You still don’t see any benefits of having those contaminants caught in a filter rather than you breathing them in? :)

Abs you mentioned exhaust fumes in your first post hence my response.

There is a lot of pseudo-science often suggested by manufacturers of such products often designed to elicit fear of some hugely contaminated world we live in and little peer reviewed facts to agree with them which is why they are very careful in the choice of words used when advertising.

Yes you breath in in small particles (and will continue to do so in your unregulated forays in the outside world as well as within the house with or without such filters. Our bodies are very well designed to deal with these on the whole which is why we re not all chronically unwell. Also, they will only perform to fairly limited standards if all filters are kept clean and or replaced regularly

If you feel better for buying them then fine but you asked and you have received opinions but I suspect the lure of some shiny new devices is a strong one. It is for most men, I nearly bought an electric nail gun the other week because it was on offer, no need for one at all as I have a compressor driven one but it was reasonably priced and shiny...... :D

I suspect the lure of some shiny new devices is a strong one. It is for most men, I nearly bought an electric nail gun the other week because it was on offer, no need for one at all as I have a compressor driven one but it was reasonably priced and shiny...... :D

you caught me haha! :oops::p

I think you may be right there, I’ve caught ‘shiny device syndrome’ :)

P.S did I mention it looks trendy and cool? :p

It’s weird, getting new appliances/tech delivered makes me happy... got a new phone coming Friday too :D

P.S just to clarify I didn’t mean to word any of my posts in an aggressive way, just putting forward what I read online and it is interesting to hear others opinions :)

you caught me haha! :oops::p

I think you may be right there, I’ve caught ‘shiny device syndrome’ :)

It’s weird, getting new appliances/tech delivered makes me happy... got a new phone coming Friday too :D

P.S just to clarify I didn’t mean to word any of my posts in an aggressive way, just putting forward what I read online and it was interesting to hear your opinion :)
Abs

No offence taken old chap.

I have spent my working life in evidence based practice and that evidence has to be scientifically proven by review etc.

We all get our rewards in different ways, I like tech if it adds something of value or aids me with a hobby, interest or task etc. Madam likes things that sparkle on her finger, ears or around her neck, good quality clothes,shoes, bags etc and does not give two hoots for tech products etc. :)

Unless a doctor specifically tells you I cannot see the point. We have existed for millennia without air filters. Yes we didn't have cars in the past but we have had open fires in our huts/caves without issue.

This is why people are getting allergic to more things, living in a sterile world. Plus they cost a fair wack in electric bill!

I have spent my working life in evidence based practice and that evidence has to be scientifically proven by review etc.
Preferably peer reviewed, and where health benefits are concerned I look for the phrase "clinical trials".

I has been an eye opener for me to discover the different onus on a cosmetic product compared with a pharmaceutical product. - Take toothpaste as an example; a manufacturer like GSK has to prove their claims with facts, but a cosmetic company like Colgate doesn't.

Preferably peer reviewed, and where health benefits are concerned I look for the phrase "clinical trials".

I has been an eye opener for me to discover the different onus on a cosmetic product compared with a pharmaceutical product. - Take toothpaste as an example; a manufacturer like GSK has to prove their claims with facts, but a cosmetic company like Colgate doesn't.

I assumed that "peer reviewed" would have been implicit in my response.

It gets more complex when looking at licensed and unlicensed products. What may have a licence in one EU country or in another part of the world may not have one for the UK, some therapeutics get around drug licences by being "medicinal devices".

The Pharmaceutical industry is a complex beast!

However I also can’t see any harm in using air filtration, removing any dust/pet dander/contaminants that may be floating

I’ve been an asthma sufferer for over 50 years and air quality affects my health almost instantly. Apart from the obvious such as pollen - worse just before dusk, things like oil particles from frying pans play havoc with my ability to get a decent breath.

But I don’t use purifiers although do get some relief in my car. Instead we tend to head off to the beach. Yesterday for example, 2 hours watching the world go by at a windy Southsea made me feel so much better after having been breathless for most of the weekend.

In saying that, I think purifiers have their place. And as you say, where’s the harm.

ut I don’t use purifiers although do get some relief in my car. Instead we tend to head off to the beach. Yesterday for example, 2 hours watching the world go by at a windy Southsea made me feel so much better after having been breathless for most of the weekend.

I have to agree with you on both counts. Also as an Asthma sufferer, I find that being in the car, with the air con on certainly helps my breathing, as does being by the sea, here in Leven, getting lung fulls of fresh ozone laden sea air every day. On Wednesday I am off back home to Northampton, the air quality there is pretty poor, especially as I live close to a main road. My house will be dusty, and probably feel damp and when I get the Dyson out I will have to wear a face mask to keep the dust out of my lungs. Having the dog does not help----but he is a special case and exempt from blame. Within a couple of weeks I will be wheezing and very short of breath, it will then be time to get back up here to the fresh sea air and some relief.

Steve

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom