Air Recirculation

Discussion in 'Electronics' started by jryans10, Aug 30, 2011.

1. jryans10

jryans10 Member

Car:
    Mercedes-Benz A140
    Hi,

Just got a couple of questions about air recirculation (air from inside the car rather than outside):

1) Is it bad to always use it? I know it may steam up your windows but apart from this, is there any bad reason why I shouldn't use it such as if it is damaging to the car?

2) Where exactly does the air come from inside the car?

Many thanks,
    - John.

2. rf065

rf065 MB Enthusiast

Car:
    SLC300 - C250d Estate 4 Matic & Z900rs
    It just seals any outside fresh air from entering the car and recirculates the air already inside. Can also heat the interior quicker in winter. Great for when there are fumes outside, but eventually the air will become stale. Mine is always set for fresh air.

3. Benzster

Benzster Active Member

Car:
    S 350L BLUTEK
    Air-recirculation is jolly useful if you get behind a 'dirty diesel' exhaust or if travelling through a road tunnel under a large river. However, once the immediate problem is over, I'm always back to 'fresh air.' Air-recirculation does however, revert back to fresh air automatically after a period of time...5/10 mins+/-.

4. markjay

markjay MB Master

Car:
    W204 C180 Executive SE 2013 Automatic / COMAND NTG4.7 and Morel speakers fitted by www.comand.co.uk
    On my w203, if you remove the cabin filter (on top of the battery in the engine compartment) you can see the air intake for the cabin air circulation system, and it has a flap that simply closes when the air circulation switch is pressed. Interestingly, setting the temperature knobs all the way to either extreme end - hot or cold - also causes the flap to close, even if the switch is not pressed - presumably this allows for faster cooling/warming of the cabin.

5. rf065

rf065 MB Enthusiast

Car:
    SLC300 - C250d Estate 4 Matic & Z900rs

If you press & hold the recirculate button on the CLK, it also closes the windows & sunroof if open. If you press & hold it again, it returns the windows & sunroof to their original positions.

Russ

6. Ted

Ted MB Enthusiast

Car:
    SLC 250D AMG Line, Yamaha XVS 1100, Jeep Renegade
    One downside of recirc is when you have consumed a bhuna the previous evening.

As others have said, the air will become stale if left on recirc.

7. camerafodder

camerafodder MB Enthusiast

Car:
    VW Touareg V6 Altitude, Toyota IQ2
    This can be fun too if you have ventilated front seats. Well for the people in the front anyway, not the poor sods in the back! :D

8. OP
    OP
    jryans10

jryans10 Member

Car:
    Mercedes-Benz A140
    Thanks folks. I noticed that (because I'm currently on holiday in the Philippines) they use air recirc all the time due to the heavy pollution. Just wondering, will this have the same effect as using it in the UK or does the air recirc work slightly differently to allow it to be on all the time? I'm guessing they are all the same.

Many thanks.