Air Recirculation

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jryans10

Car
Mercedes-Benz A140
Hi,

Just got a couple of questions about air recirculation (air from inside the car rather than outside):

1) Is it bad to always use it? I know it may steam up your windows but apart from this, is there any bad reason why I shouldn't use it such as if it is damaging to the car?

2) Where exactly does the air come from inside the car?

Many thanks,
- John.

It just seals any outside fresh air from entering the car and recirculates the air already inside. Can also heat the interior quicker in winter. Great for when there are fumes outside, but eventually the air will become stale. Mine is always set for fresh air.

Air-recirculation is jolly useful if you get behind a 'dirty diesel' exhaust or if travelling through a road tunnel under a large river. However, once the immediate problem is over, I'm always back to 'fresh air.' Air-recirculation does however, revert back to fresh air automatically after a period of time...5/10 mins+/-.

On my w203, if you remove the cabin filter (on top of the battery in the engine compartment) you can see the air intake for the cabin air circulation system, and it has a flap that simply closes when the air circulation switch is pressed. Interestingly, setting the temperature knobs all the way to either extreme end - hot or cold - also causes the flap to close, even if the switch is not pressed - presumably this allows for faster cooling/warming of the cabin.

Interestingly, setting the temperature knobs all the way to either extreme end - hot or cold - also causes the flap to close, even if the switch is not pressed - presumably this allows for faster cooling/warming of the cabin.

If you press & hold the recirculate button on the CLK, it also closes the windows & sunroof if open. If you press & hold it again, it returns the windows & sunroof to their original positions.

Russ

One downside of recirc is when you have consumed a bhuna the previous evening.

As others have said, the air will become stale if left on recirc.

Thanks folks. I noticed that (because I'm currently on holiday in the Philippines) they use air recirc all the time due to the heavy pollution. Just wondering, will this have the same effect as using it in the UK or does the air recirc work slightly differently to allow it to be on all the time? I'm guessing they are all the same.

Many thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom