Air release noise / hissing noise from front passenger side s211

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

350cls

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
E55k AMG Sold / S211 E320 CDI I6 W212 E63 6.2 N/A saloon.
I noticed yesterday when driving along passenger side window open I could hear like a air release sound. I have heard this before when I shut the car down but never with the car in motion. Should I be alarmed. Also what are the possibilities. Would it be the air suspension related?

Forgot to mention all corners of the car seem at the correct ride height. No drops in height over night or different heights when visually looking at the car.

Thanks Tom

I noticed yesterday when driving along passenger side window open I could hear like a air release sound. I have heard this before when I shut the car down but never with the car in motion. Should I be alarmed. Also what are the possibilities. Would it be the air suspension related?

Thanks Tom
If you have air suspension then the occasional release of pressure when driving is normal. It’s also normal to release air when the engine is switched off and the doors closed/locked.

If you have air suspension then the occasional release of pressure when driving is normal. It’s also normal to release air when the engine is switched off and the doors closed/locked.

Cheers BD, so nothing to worry about if the car is holding its ride height . No drops over night. I have never noticed the air/ hiss sound before while driving along. I must add I don't drive the car that far either. Short journeys here and there.

Mot is due next month so I'll get the Indy I use to check it out. Cheers.

Tom

I go out to check the car today for any suspension height failures none obvious to the eye. I had to pop out, I switched the ignition on and got the read out on the instrument cluster in white writing " visit workshop" I then press the up arrow button on the steering wheel the message then disappears. Car is driving perfectly. Could it be a battery voltage issue?

The message hasn't appeared again. Since and after shut down?

Tom

Well it might be battery related,as you say you only do short runs you do not say how old the car is,if you have the original battery then it might need changing

Well it might be battery related,as you say you only do short runs you do not say how old the car is,if you have the original battery then it might need changing[/QUOTE

2004 registration. I doubt it's on its original battery. Will be a year I have owned the car very soon. I'll take a look through its service history. I did annitionally think it could be battery related :thumb:

No history of the battery being replaced in the file of history I have with the car. I have all the history dating back to 2004 from original order. It could well be the original battery. Could this be possible. Is there a way I can tell by looking at the battery?

Also, no more visit workshop messages since the first and only yesterday.

Cheers

A session on STAR can put the whole system through exhaustive tests which will reveal any problems.

I came across a similar problem last week on my E280 Estate.
A pipe underneath from the air pump to the rear air shocks was fractured.
The pump was running all the time, and the air was escaping.
Strange to say ... I hadn't noticed any difference in the ride.
The bottom end has always looked low on the car.
The pipe is now repaired with a joining piece.
I must say - The back end still looks low.
I can't really tell any difference.
Ride and handling are both OK.

I’ve recently had this , the Aux battery required charging at had been left unused for 3wks , been using the car more problem solved lol

I came across a similar problem last week on my E280 Estate.
A pipe underneath from the air pump to the rear air shocks was fractured.
The pump was running all the time, and the air was escaping.
Strange to say ... I hadn't noticed any difference in the ride.
The bottom end has always looked low on the car.
The pipe is now repaired with a joining piece.
I must say - The back end still looks low.
I can't really tell any difference.
Ride and handling are both OK.

I had the same fractured pipe within 18 inches of the compressor. Eventually, because I never noticed the leak as I’m a bit deaf, the compressor wore out. It was probably trying to compensate for the cracked pipe. The car then sat on its haunches. Two air bags, a compressor, relay and repair to the pipe work and all - for the moment- is ok.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ouch ... That sounds expensive.
Mine was pretty-much a no-cost repair.
Funny you mention being a bit deaf.
I suffer industrial deafness, and I never noticed the hissing noise until the car was up on a lift.
All OK now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom