Air suspension hack

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

foru2justnv

Car
Mercedes w211 E320 CDI s212 e220cdi
Im loosing height on the nsr air suspension on my 211 with full airmatic.
I will be going over the lines with liquid spray in a few days to find a leak. I have had a thought. If for example the alloy tanks connected to each air spring on the rear is leaking or the pipe connecting them, how about disconnect pipe and block of the need for the tanks, the same way arnott did and only use the air spring.
Has anyone done this or have any ideas on this

The alloy rear tanks are a frequent source of leaks due to corrosion [ where the bracket attaches] I believe they may be there to compensate for an alteration in spring rate with ride height when fully laden [ a compressed bag of air is going to be stiffer due to its lower volume]- the arnott springs design may have greater internal volume or rely on the rear suspension not being fully loaded most of the time? That's my guess

If you remove the tanks the system will not be able to react dynamically to road imperfections and driver inputs. MB wouldn't add stuff that's not required to operate the system as designed, i.e. be dynamic, the compressor alone could not cope quickly enough with the constantly changing demands.

If you remove the tanks the system will not be able to react dynamically to road imperfections and driver inputs. MB wouldn't add stuff that's not required to operate the system as designed, i.e. be dynamic, the compressor alone could not cope quickly enough with the constantly changing demands.

i dont disagree, but if you look at the arnott replacements the dont connect to tanks they are just the air spring, so was wondering that if for example my tank is leaking the one over the axle and not central one in boot, the is it possible to just disconnect it and block pipe outlet off, just an idea

If you blank off the tank the MB units will not function correctly and you will get errors

Personally, I would repair or replace the tank. You may be able to weld it if there is a hole due to corrosion. What you suggest can be done but I would only use it as a temporary measure as it will ruin the ride

ok so we were flat on the floor last week, having not driven the car for a couple of weeks, after inflating it all up to spec it has been 4 days and not a mm of drop, now im really confused.
i did tell the wife not to touch the suspension button as previously kids would get in and press the rise button, and the son would activate sports 2, so this time round no buttons touched and its holding, but it does make me wonder if its not rising and lowering and left alone could that be the valve block?

does anyone know what the exact pressure specs are for each spring, i just inflated until all looked even and that 7 bar at rear and 8 bar at the front with 14 bar in central tank

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom