Air suspension on a GL320 x164 - speed of raising height

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mil1194

Car
Current - GL320, Audi S8 and ex MB - Clk320 CL500 E350cdi C230k ML270cdi
Hiya, I’ve recently - 3months - bought a GL320 and the car sags on the rear most mornings. I’m going to change the rear bags and it has been suggested to change the compressor as well.

I have had these delivered now and should be fitted this week.

my question is that it seems to take ages currently to raise the car to the max height. 45seconds to a minute maybe. Is this normal or is likely to be connected to my (hopefully) air bags/compressor issue?

Hiya, I’ve recently - 3months - bought a GL320 and the car sags on the rear most mornings. I’m going to change the rear bags and it has been suggested to change the compressor as well.

I have had these delivered now and should be fitted this week.

my question is that it seems to take ages currently to raise the car to the max height. 45seconds to a minute maybe. Is this normal or is likely to be connected to my (hopefully) air bags/compressor issue?
That doesn’t seem too slow if raising from a very low level. For example, my E takes about that long if I fill it to the max with heavy luggage and people it settles low. When I then start up it might display the ‘vehicle rising’ message for quite some time.

However, are you sure you need to have all-new bags? If it’s settling overnight it’s possible it could just be a leak somewhere in the piping or at the valve block. Hopefully this was checked before diving in with a big expensive repair?

That doesn’t seem too slow if raising from a very low level. For example, my E takes about that long if I fill it to the max with heavy luggage and people it settles low. When I then start up it might display the ‘vehicle rising’ message for quite some time.

However, are you sure you need to have all-new bags? If it’s settling overnight it’s possible it could just be a leak somewhere in the piping or at the valve block. Hopefully this was checked before diving in with a big expensive repair?

Hi, I don’t have new bags yet, they are sitting on the floor here at home with a new compressor. This was recommended by the guy that I’ve bought the car from. He’s pretty shrewd and he’s got an ex-MB man on his firm. I’m hoping that resolves the issues that I’m currently having but I’m amazed at how long to takes to ‘pump up’. It’s done 117k and I imagine it’s the original bags so Im happy to change them and if the man suggests new front ones as well then I’ll do it. Just for peace of mind. My S8 and my CL500 were virtually instant and you could watch them raise.

Hi, I don’t have new bags yet, they are sitting on the floor here at home with a new compressor. This was recommended by the guy that I’ve bought the car from. He’s pretty shrewd and he’s got an ex-MB man on his firm. I’m hoping that resolves the issues that I’m currently having but I’m amazed at how long to takes to ‘pump up’. It’s done 117k and I imagine it’s the original bags so Im happy to change them and if the man suggests new front ones as well then I’ll do it. Just for peace of mind. My S8 and my CL500 were virtually instant and you could watch them raise.
Ah, fair enough! Yes, I can always see mine rising up. Enjoy the ride quality once it’s done, it should be great with new airbags.

Ah, fair enough! Yes, I can always see mine rising up. Enjoy the ride quality once it’s done, it should be great with new airbags.

I hope so too - if it’s been left a few days I can start it and it’ll take about 30secs before you can see it rising even to the ‘normal’ level. I genuinely don’t mind spending the money as virtually every car on air has an issue with the bags etc so it’s almost a consumable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom