Air vent illumination W124

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

3 phase

Car
A bloody Opel
Does anyone know how to remove the air vents, I didn't know they were supposed to be illuminated until a friend got in the car the other night and commented that his W124 has illuminated air vent controls. Must be a simple fix but am reluctant to go prising them off in case I break something. Appreciate any help as always.

look inside the 2 side vents and you will see 4 little metal clips per vent. these need lifting/pulling down (depending if its bottom or top) then you can prise the unit out. just take it easy and dont try and pull the clips all the way out. use 2 small screwdrivers and release one side and then the other and they will come out.

the middle one needs a screw in the glove compartment undoing (if you have an airbag i dont know if that screw exists or how you access it-sorry). undo that and then look for 2 more of those little clips inside the vent. prise them open and ease the unit out. remember it has wiring for the light behind it so dont pull too far out.

I thing you need 0.4w bulbs from Merc. dont get the 1.2w ones available from Halfords as you will wonder why the dials get hot. Found this in g/f's 124 estate where the higher strength bulbs had been added and the knobs were WARM.

hope that helps

look inside the 2 side vents and you will see 4 little metal clips per vent. these need lifting/pulling down (depending if its bottom or top) then you can prise the unit out. just take it easy and dont try and pull the clips all the way out. use 2 small screwdrivers and release one side and then the other and they will come out.

the middle one needs a screw in the glove compartment undoing (if you have an airbag i dont know if that screw exists or how you access it-sorry). undo that and then look for 2 more of those little clips inside the vent. prise them open and ease the unit out. remember it has wiring for the light behind it so dont pull too far out.

I thing you need 0.4w bulbs from Merc. dont get the 1.2w ones available from Halfords as you will wonder why the dials get hot. Found this in g/f's 124 estate where the higher strength bulbs had been added and the knobs were WARM.

hope that helps

When I removed my centre vent there was also a alan screw in the top vent just to the left of the dial, fiddley to get at.

When I removed my centre vent there was also a alan screw in the top vent just to the left of the dial, fiddley to get at.

You are right! easy to get to with a 6mm allen but geting them to marry up again when re-itting can be a pain.

Thanks to both of you for your advice, mine does have a passenger air bag so may be fiddly, sounds like a job for an auto electrician friend of mine with more dextrous hands than my bunches of bananas!!! Will show him your posts. Thanks again.

Ade

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom