Airbag Expiry

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

millo777

MB Enthusiast
Car
1997 W140 S600L/2003 S211 320cdi
Does anybody have a definitive answer regarding whether airbags have an expiry, and need to be repalced?

My W124 has a sticker on the drivers door shut indictaing both airbags should have been replaced in June 2008, 15 years after the build date.

I've seen a few threads on other forums with opinions suggesting this is really due to the manufacturer not knowing how long they would last during early production. It seems equally likely however that early manufatured units used different materials/production giving them a shorter shelf life?

I only got to thinking about this as euromerc have replacement airbags for 99 gbp, and if the passenger side needs repalcing, I'd probably just fit a glovebox instead (the centre storage box just isn't the same is it?) and be done with it.

Hi
according to this, Jan '92 onwards is ok

cheers!

Last edited:
Thanks Balge, as you say, the doc states that pre Jan 92 airbags have a 15 year life and need to be replaced. That being the case, I'm still puzzled why they would put the 15 year replacement sticker on post Jan 92 cars?

The doc seems to be dated 2002, so I'm assuming they came to the conclusion re the cut off date around that time?

Hmm, still slightly concerning. I'll double check with the dealer just in case.

There was a factory recall on drivers airbags for around that time. My notification date was 21/08/01 This was due to EXCESS HUMIDITY in certain climates causing premature detonation without impact. Drivers airbag was replaced FOC by Mercedes IRRC--- PERHAPS SOMETHING TO DO WITH THAT?? The revised airbag had a chrome star in the centre the old faulty unit was plain black.

The reason it mentions post 92 cars is because that is roughly when airbags were introduced....

Pretty sure airbags were options on W124 from introduction? Maybe they became standard fitting post '92? W123 had the option in the '80's

Wasn't that recall due to the wiring/bracketry rusting and shorting out, setting off the 'bag rather than the pyro itself being at fault?

cheers!

fyi MB optioned airbags in 1980!, apparently!

http://www.secondchancegarage.com/public/history-of-airbags-2.cfm

Last edited:
Pretty sure airbags were options on W124 from introduction? Maybe they became standard fitting post '92? W123 had the option in the '80's

Wasn't that recall due to the wiring/bracketry rusting and shorting out, setting off the 'bag rather than the pyro itself being at fault?

cheers!

fyi MB optioned airbags in 1980!, apparently!

Cushioning the Blow: History of Automotive Airbags - Page 2

Could be ----but the solution was the complete bag unit replacement.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom