airbag light

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

markheaney2

Car
mercedes s350 cdi 2010
the airbag light is on all the time on my year 2000 e320 cdi i am told it is the sensor under neath the passenger seat what does it do and can it just be bypassed and the airbags still work i have got the mot next week it will fail with the light on

With SDS you can code the SRS control unit to ignore the sensor but then the passenger airbag would deploy in an accident even if the passenger seat was not occupied. Perhaps you could use this as a temporary fix, probably only makes sense if you can find a private SDS owner who takes care of the coding for free, or an independent shop that does it almost for free.

the airbag light is on all the time on my year 2000 e320 cdi i am told it is the sensor under neath the passenger seat what does it do and can it just be bypassed and the airbags still work i have got the mot next week it will fail with the light on

Hi,do you mean the airbag/SRS light or the seatbelt light?

The SRS light is designed to come on for a certain amount of time and then go off, this is partially to prevent people from removing the bulb to pass the MOT test (particularly motor traders) and hide a (possibly expensive to repair) airbag fault.

And now its on, you won't know what other parts of the system have failed and thus won't protect you at your hour of need (and that assumes whoever told you it was the seat sensor was correct)

Thus my recommendation is to get it fixed. Its a required part of the MOT for a reason and a good independent isn't going to charge the earth to fix it. (although I have some recall that the sensor pad is £100 odd)

Richard

yes i mean the airbag light next to the electric window switch near the gear lever i am not bothered if the passenger air bag deploys with nobody in the seat can it be by passed

I have this same problem in my W202 C200, it comes on sometimes and then it doesnt at other times. Not sure what it could be but would like to get it fixed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom