Airbag Recall

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

TeddyRuxpin

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
2x E350 CDI Sport W212s... for a bit
Anybody else get one of these?

I have a 59 plate E350. Seems to say that they'll give you the 'latest updates' ("we will take the opportunity that any additional technical updates are completed") too - not sure that's a great thing - the last update was a bit of a nightmare...

...or maybe they fixed the no 7th gear until 74mph thing! Wishful thinking perhaps...

My dad didn't get a letter about his 2010 E350.

Ed

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-09-04 at 18.45.18.png
    Screenshot 2021-09-04 at 18.45.18.png
    478.1 KB · Views: 38
Last edited:
They (or certainly my local dealer group) use similar terminology, ie. 'you agree to the latest updates being applied', or words to that effect, in the smallprint T&Cs when the customer signs the service-agreement form. That, presumably, includes the emissions update, which the customer could decline; however, as it's non-reversible, where does that leave the customer if they forget (or ignore the request), perhaps if they have targets to 'update' cars? However, at least you have a chance to 'decline'; I had one (MB) a few months back where the software update would be applied 'over the air' . How do you stop that if you don't want it?

If you opt for the airbag but decline the emissions update (which I would), let us know if your dealer agrees to that.

Sorry, to clarify, I've already had the emissions update I'm afraid. That's when I stopped taking my car to MB and service it myself now.

Glad I didn't have a remap done in that time if they're going to update the software again, however I have a Brabus D6 I'll probably fit soon.

I'd bet the MB Service people have no idea what's 'new' in the latest updates - but then again I might already have the latest update. My car was updated in October/Nov 2019 I believe.

I received this safety issue recall for the type of airbag my 59 plate E63 has fitted. The version has been declared unsafe. A new airbag will be fitted to the vehicle. Don't remember the letter reading of any updates to be had. I must read through the letter again. Tried calling my local MB on Friday afternoon but it seemed Very busy on both occasions I called.

I had a new rear air strut fitted at my local MB dealers a little time back. I asked on that visit could you check for any software updates the car was due. To my surprise, the said none were available for my car.

Was meant to have a Mercedes Me app applied to the car. This wasn't carried out either. Long......... Story....... I think it might be a good thing I don't have the app reading up on it.

Last edited:
Yeah, I don't think they're going to apply a software update to my car to make it any worse given that I haven't had a remap. Nor do I expect any software to make the 7th gear issue/situation better

I will take mine in, just a heads up for others. And curious if anyone has had the airbag recall - nice to know it will have a new driver's airbag, to be honest!

Yeah, I don't think they're going to apply a software update to my car to make it any worse given that I haven't had a remap. Nor do I expect any software to make the 7th gear issue/situation better

I will take mine in, just a heads up for others. And curious if anyone has had the airbag recall - nice to know it will have a new driver's airbag, to be honest!

Totally agree TR.

I'll post back when I have the new airbag installed. 👍

An E63 is petrol so the big emissions update won't be an issue.
When my 2017 c250 had a recall for something and worded the same way, I told them I didn't want the emissions update.

Wasn't a problem, they even confirmed when I took it in that that particular update had been declined by the owner.

Have you tried resetting the gearbox ecu and then manually change the gears so the car learns to change when you want it to. Its maybe bogged down in miss daisy mode. I do mine every month or so. My e350 changed into 9th at 60 mph with cruise on yesterday lol. Mind of its own 😁

Yes, I’ve tried lots of things, unfortunately it’s a well known/documented issue after the update along with decreased fuel economy

I've just today received the letter for driver and passenger airbag replacement. I suppose there is nothing they can stuff up on On a 2009 petrol with a manual box but I still don't feel all that comfortable about a main dealer touching the car. Do they do any damage replacing the air bags ?

I’ve got the letter. I also don’t want the diesel update so I’m waiting for my Indy to speak to his contact at the dealer to see what can be done. I’ll report back.

Received the airbag recall today, spoke to my local Indy and they can't do it. Has to be a visit to the main dealer.
Bit of a pain as we are 10 mins from a really good Indy. Mine is a 2011 auto 220cdi Blue efficiency.

I received the recall letter today as well, seeing as it’s a 60 mile round trip to my nearest main dealer, I’ve emailed Merc UK asking them if they’re going to recompense me for the fuel.

Anybody else get one of these?

I have a 59 plate E350. Seems to say that they'll give you the 'latest updates' ("we will take the opportunity that any additional technical updates are completed") too - not sure that's a great thing - the last update was a bit of a nightmare...

...or maybe they fixed the no 7th gear until 74mph thing! Wishful thinking perhaps...

My dad didn't get a letter about his 2010 E350.

Ed
Just had my air bag replaced at merc liverpool, instructed them not to update my car as it has been remamped and I would sue them if they did, never signed the form as if you do you are allowing them mess with your car,my car is fine now with new air bag, was told it was only necessary for cars in hot climates

s

Last edited:
Thanks for the update. I still haven’t done mine to be honest.

Is it done while you wait? Did you leave it with them al day? Just wondering how much time it’s gonna take.

Airbag safety recall job complete as of today 4/2/22.

MB Chemlsford 👍 left car with them, was ready a few hours later.

Airbag safety recall job complete as of today 4/2/22.

MB Chemlsford 👍 left car with them, was ready a few hours later.
Mine is booked in for tomorrow. Did they do any software updates along with the airbag?

Airbag recall done yesterday. Asked them not to do the diesel update which they didn’t do thankfully.
Got a complete set of green lights with the health check also with a message from the tech saying how good a condition this car is in. One of the best 212s he said.
Quite chuffed for a 2011 car.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom