Airbag Status

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Scouser51

Car
E Class
Hi again enthusiasts, still getting to know my 2018 E Class but Im asking this because it’s quicker than trying to find out elsewhere. Does the front passenger airbag status go off after the car starts moving, mine seems to?
Also if by necessity I’m carrying a child in the front do I get a constant warning that the airbag is disabled?

Many Thanks

You will need mercedes brand child seat (with transponders) to disable front air bag

You will need mercedes brand child seat (with transponders) to disable front air bag
Not sure you are correct on that one, Mercedes are telling me the front airbag will automatically disable if a child is seated there. No mention of having a Mercedes child seat with transponders!

Not sure you are correct on that one, Mercedes are telling me the front airbag will automatically disable if a child is seated there. No mention of having a Mercedes child seat with transponders!
Hmm.. then they have been changing their methods in lates models. That used to be on cars I can't afford :) Then you shoudl direct your quiestions on your Mercedes, that's 100% reliable then.

Hmm.. then they have been changing their methods in lates models. That used to be on cars I can't afford :) Then you shoudl direct your quiestions on your Mercedes, that's 100% reliable then.
Thanks for your response, I’m going on a long run soon, I’ll keep a careful eye on what’s showing on the instruments. I’m still only a few weeks into my one years warranty so anything untoward and it will be going back to Mercedes for a check!

Hi everyone, update on the airbag being disabled when carrying a child in the front passenger seat. I changed the child’s seat for one that doesn’t move and everything worked as Mercedes intended. The car recognised there was a child seated on the front seat and disabled the airbag. There is a constant warning that the airbag is disabled so all is good.

Hi everyone, update on the airbag being disabled when carrying a child in the front passenger seat. I changed the child’s seat for one that doesn’t move and everything worked as Mercedes intended. The car recognised there was a child seated on the front seat and disabled the airbag. There is a constant warning that the airbag is disabled so all is good.

Does in chime all the time? :)

No it’s just a message illuminated just below the bank of switches that are below the four air vents, no chiming thankfully. It does change to on if there is an adult sitting there!

Every MB car has the amber light that says that the front passenger airbag is disabled.

On every MB car, this light will illuminate briefly at engine startup, then go off. This is just a bulb test.

The above behaviour is present regardless of whether the car is actually fitted with a system that disables the front passenger seat when a child seat is detected, or not. The presence of this light is not an indication that the car has such a system.

Either way, drivers should ignore what this light does at engine startup - it has no meaning at this stage. And, it follows that the brief illumination at engine startup is no proof that the front passenger airbag is disabled (or otherwise).

No it’s just a message illuminated just below the bank of switches that are below the four air vents, no chiming thankfully. It does change to on if there is an adult sitting there!

The message should say 'PASSANGER AIR BAG OFF'. When it's illuminated, the passenger airbag is off.

Screenshot-20220223-193835-Chrome.jpg

On your car, does the word OFF actually change to ON? Or does the light simply extinguishes to signify that the front passenger air bag is no longer disabled?

Thanks for this as I've been wondering the same. When you say you changed the seat for one that doesn't move, do you mean you changed it from the type that you clip onto a buggy as part of a travel system to an actual car seat that stays in the car?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom