Airbag warning light - MOT issues and how to cure

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Charles Morgan

MB Enthusiast
Car
Mercedes 250CE W114, Alfa Romeo GT Coupe 3.2 V6
I will need an MOT on my 210 by the end of February. When I bought it the SRS light would stay on and I was going to sort it, but when Olly replaced my evaporator, which if the photos are to be believed, resulted in the steering wheel coming off, the SRS light extinguished itself correctly.

With typical timing, it has now started not going out again. I saw the changes to the MOT on this issue, but wasn't sure whether the airbag light one has yet been implemented.

If the MOT change has been implemented, would taking off the steering wheel and re-connecting it like what Olly did (I am not going to do this myself) sort it, or was that sheer coincidence?

Coincidence.

Best to get the codes read. W210 SRS lamps are caused by the passenger seat occupancy sensor 80% of the time.

Removal and refitting will not extinguish the srs. Only a diagnostic tool can erase it.

You can now buy plug-in devices to defeat the seat occupancy sensor. Saves replacing the sensor - just plug this thing into the loom under the seat. Popular for some models of BMW

Nick Froome

It is very rare that I have someone in the passenger seat, but on the occasion that someone has got into the car before or after starting, the light remains on.

Thinking about it further, I hardly move the passenger seat, and the problem re-occurred after I had done a lot of furniture lugging, which necessitated moving the seat.

The SRS light being on is yet to be made an MOT failure.
It is still on the list of things that they are trying to bring in as failures.

Better get it done sharpish then!

You can now buy plug-in devices to defeat the seat occupancy sensor. Saves replacing the sensor - just plug this thing into the loom under the seat. Popular for some models of BMW

Nick Froome

Best not to leave it in though when you sell it eh?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom