Aircon smells like stale 'wee-wee'!!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

nictry

Car
ML63
My W210 1998 aircon smells really bad for about 20 secs after turning on then is absolutely fine but this happens every time you get in the car!!!

I have just had the pollen filter changed which I understand can cause 'odd' smells so it can't be that, any other ideas as although it only lasts a few seconds it is an awful smell and could get me some funny looks if I travel with someone that doesn't know it does it :(

PJH said:
Have you tried these threads ?

Yes I did and most of them mention the pollen filter needing changing, mine has only started since the pollen filter was changed, it was fine until that was done a couple of weeks ago and now it smells like a cats just p*****d into the air vents!

Although the bacteria suggestions are mentioned in the posts you mention again can't see how this could have 'built up' in the last 2 weeks when there was no previous problem with smell! Should also mention that the smell seems worse from the central vents!

I had the same thing happen to me... except I realised I didnt have Air con, and the smell was my feet.

I recently had my pollen filter changed and it did have a strange smell but it's gone now.

Plodd said:
I recently had my pollen filter changed and it did have a strange smell but it's gone now.

Well hopefully it will go although it is odd that is was not there straight after the change and only appeared a day or two ago :confused: Perhaps I ought to check whether I have left an old sock hidden behind the dash though :D

Legionnarires disease ? :D ;)

nictry said:
...it was fine until that was done a couple of weeks ago and now it smells like a cats just p*****d into the air vents!
Please remember that as a filter gets older it gets more effective, replacing it will allow more air (and anything airborne) through!

There are quite a few filters in the system, you could look into having them all replaced or you could try the cleaner/febreeze route :)

Mine has started smelling like the sea for a few seconds after you switch it on, not sure if this is good or bad :confused:

Cats do have a habit of peeing on cars so it could just be that a cat has scent marked your car near the air intake. I have learnt not to touch the bottom edge of my up and over garage door whilst opening it as I have had stinky cat pee hands in the past. It is virtually impossible to wash off. :mad:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom