Aircraft Buffs and Map Reference's

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

brucemillar

MB Enthusiast
Car
C55 AMG Wagon - W124 300te 4matic Wagon - BMW 4.8is X5 E53 - SWB Pajero 3.5 V6 24v
Folks

I have a need to discover what a map reference beginning with the letter "R" then four digits relates to?. As in R1234. I can find no reference to this anywhere. It is in relation to a downed WWII fighter in the UK and this is how the map reference is listed. What I would like to do is work out how I can convert this reference into an actual location.

Many Thanks

Bruce

What is the MR and whereabouts in the country do you think it is?

Nick Froome

Last edited:
I have a need to discover what a map reference beginning with the letter "R" then four digits relates to?. As in R1234. I can find no reference to this anywhere. It is in relation to a downed WWII fighter in the UK and this is how the map reference is listed. What I would like to do is work out how I can convert this reference into an actual location.

Look for something along the lines of 'modified british system' and coordinates. I'm pretty sure that the map references tended to be two letters followed by digits - the letters reference the grid square.

Look for something along the lines of 'modified british system' and coordinates. I'm pretty sure that the map references tended to be two letters followed by digits - the letters reference the grid square.

Tried this. But I only have one reference (which is as described) I did see somewhere that referred to that type of reference but now can't find the thing again.

Tried this. But I only have one reference (which is as described) I did see somewhere that referred to that type of reference but now can't find the thing again.

Is it a case that you have only the second letter - in which case if it's in UK there will be only three or four options as to what the first letter would be.

Military Maps

Eg. on the map shown in the link 'R' looks like it's probably 'wR' SE of London. GThough it could bw qR in the Scottish isles.

Folks

I am thinking that it must be a CASSINI reference but have not been able to covert that to a useable co-ordinate(s) Thanks so much for the help so far. ANy more much appreciated.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom