Airfares By passenger Weight.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I have been advocating this for years. My idea was to have a 'total weight' of 100kgs - passenger and luggage. I.e if you weigh 70kgs you can have 30kgs of luggage.
Not sure if there are any implications with regards to how weight is loaded on a passenger plane though.

I have sat next to more than my fair share of 'space invaders' in my travels. However if we are to be treated as 'cargo' then will my higher fare entitle me to the extra space I need to accomodate me comfortably during my flight? The answer is no I will be crammed into standard sized seat with my knees pressed into seat in front, praying they don't try to recline duing the flight!

They should have a similar 'frame' as they use for hand luggage. If your butt doesn't fit between the armrests you should buy an extra seat, not to mention health and safety if I need to climb over you in an emergency!

Anyone for a colonic irrigation prior to departure?

It will not catch on. Can you imagine the discussions at CheckIn? Too much downside for the airlines when in reality the 'average' system works just fine.

In the UK we have laws against almost every type of discrimination imaginable, I'm sure this would be 'Fattist', and completely against our human rights.

Wow I'm not sure about that..

I'm 6ft and weigh 15st7lbs which is 99kg...

So I'll just take my anti sickness tablets,some light reading and a quarter of cola cubes to stop my ears from popping :-(

I am a slim 120kgs+, if I have to pay more, I would insist on a seat that I would fit into and moreover was comfortable. I recently flew back from Bangkok on a BA 747. I am not really that big, just heavy :D and easily fit into the seats and buckle my seatbelt, but the seat was soooo uncomfortable. Hard seat, dodgy/loose back and a headrest that would not stay up. This compared to the Qantas Airbus 380, what a plane!

There are so many shops and cafes between check-in and the gates that everyone will add a kilo or two after they've weighed in. Queue for the toilets in the check in area will be longer than the queue to get through security.

Complete set of t*ssers theres more than weight to take into the equation, how about them ripping you off by pricing depending how full the plane is or how close to departure you book.

Weighing In at 120kg thats another airline I wont be flying along with Air France, Turkish and Aeroflot.

Times like this I'm proud to be European where this practice is illegal :D

Mind you I only fly business or first anyway :D

you can be sure that Ryanair already have plans for this in their greedy system...seriously though some of you fat f*ckers need to get some more exercise

Whats with so much bypassing the swear filter all of a sudden?

The posts are harsh enough without the swearing.

Whats with so much bypassing the swear filter all of a sudden?

The posts are harsh enough without the swearing.

Yes; a little rich , especially from one member who likes to present himself as "holier than thou" most of the time!

Being a meager 70kg (and 6'2") - I like the idea...

That said, I doubt it'll work. If you change weight between booking your tickets and departure date; do they refund you the difference and/or charge you more?

If it's Ryanair - not only will they charge you for your weight, if you change weight, they'll charge you a surcharge at checkin to ammend the weight stated on your boarding pass...

Also - This'll go the same was as Ryanair's standing-only tickets, or the toilet-charge... Isn't it in Florida where larger-than-life people get special care?

M

P.S. Hand luggage limits have always been a joke... I have an old quail hunting jacket with a "full back" pocket. I can easily fit 20kg or so of stuff there, have my (empty) hand luggage weighed, then transfer the contents back once I'm on board.

M

On the face of it, I like the idea. But Spinal has highlighted just some of the potential problems. But what I am in favour of is seven's idea of a total inclusive weight. It irks more than a little when my 50kg (max) wife has to pay excess baggage when she's packed 5kg over the stated limit, when the person before her at check-in looks about 125kg and has no excess to pay!! As long as there's a limit on the weight of individual bags, I can't see why this can't be introduced. So what if it's "fatist", it's not our fault that others are overweight. And why should kids get cheaper seats when so many of them are heavier than lots of adults?

I think the carrier in question has a toxic combination of small aircraft (Britten Norman twin turbo props and Cessna 172's) and a largely obese population which required intervention that simply wouldn't be required in most situations. This isn't simply a case of spilling over to your neighbours seat this is about all up weight of the aircraft and over-shooting runways. I don't think the bloaters amongst us need to worry too soon (Unless off to Samoa of course)

I think the carrier in question has a toxic combination of small aircraft (Britten Norman twin turbo props and Cessna 172's) and a largely obese population which required intervention that simply wouldn't be required in most situations. This isn't simply a case of spilling over to your neighbours seat this is about all up weight of the aircraft and over-shooting runways. I don't think the bloaters amongst us need to worry too soon (Unless off to Samoa of course)

This is exactly the reason this airline has taken this path. I worked in Alaska for three years and routinely stepped onto a scale at the check-in because the smaller planes needed to be 'trimmed' (weight distributed evenly), and also had a lower maximum take off weight. I travelled aroound Asia a bit too and was twice upgraded to business class in order to 'trim the plane', as all the pax had booked economy and bus class at the front was empty.

Despite my previous post me and my luggage get weighed all the time when I go to fly in fly out mines it's common practice to load up the plane to max weight, back end of last year I had to leave my luggage behind to follow me so we could bring some core samples back, me or my luggage, no brainer as they say :D

However there is a difference between being heavy and being fat how do you draw the distinction, that notoriously inaccurate method called BMI?

There's been plenty of crashes due to overweight planes as they calculated using an average weight per passenger which on a jet is not a problem but on a small turbo prop it has turned out to be a real issue. So no issue with it if it's on safety grounds if it's on profiteering by bean counters than different issue completely :mad:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom