Airline PR disaster

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Last edited:
Frankly I think it is even more disgraceful that someone is trying to discredit the chap, based on mistakes from 15 years ago.

From my understanding the plane was not overbooked, but the airline wished to kick a passenger who was already in his paid for seat off, so that they could fly crew. When that passenger was unhappy (and who would not be), and objected - possibly a little stubbornly the last thing that should have happened is for him to be assaulted and dragged out. What happened to reasoned persuasion? Or indeed doing it right and offering more money to persuade volunteers to come forward. The $300 Dollars offered were 50$ vouchers, only one to be used per flight and expire after 12 months. Not very tempting.

The airline seem to have realised that it has made a mistake - and indeed the security agent has been suspended.

I do feel a little sorry for United - as this was their 'junior partner' and they have certainly copped for it.

From my understanding the plane was not overbooked, but the airline wished to kick a passenger who was already in his paid for seat off, so that they could fly crew.
IMO, that has given the story extra legs. United had a problem of their own making (out of position crew that needed to fly, but no seats) and by their heavy handed action managed to turn it into an international PR disaster.

What's really puzzling is why they actually boarded all the pax before trying to offload some of them - which always has the potential to get awkward. Had they called for volunteers to stand down at the gate it would have been a much easier to manage situation even if they didn't get any volunteers.

...What's really puzzling is why they actually boarded all the pax before trying to offload some of them - which always has the potential to get awkward. Had they called for volunteers to stand down at the gate it would have been a much easier to manage situation even if they didn't get any volunteers.

Or indeed doing it right and offering more money to persuade volunteers to come forward. The $300 Dollars offered were 50$ vouchers, only one to be used per flight and expire after 12 months. Not very tempting...

It's quite simple... a member of United Airline at the gate should have been granted with the authority of making a small cash offer to volunteers, then increasing it until the volunteer is found... this is America, and everything has a price.... someone would have taken the cash.

But what probably happened there was simply bad communication - the airline called security to 'remove a passenger from a plane' without explaining the full circumstances; security then 'removed passenger from plane' the only way they know how...

markjay said:
It's quite simple... a member of United Airline at the gate should have been granted with the authority of making a small cash offer to volunteers, then increasing it until the volunteer is found... this is America, and everything has a price.... someone would have taken the cash. But what probably happened there was simply bad communication - the airline called security to 'remove a passenger from a plane' without explaining the full circumstances; security then 'removed passenger from plane' the only way they know how...

But why this particular passenger?

What made the decision that directed them to him?

UICTFontDescriptor <0x705f570> = {
NSFontNameAttribute = ".HelveticaNeueUI";
NSFontSizeAttribute = 16;
}

According to the news, they asked for 4 volunteers. When none came forward they chose 4 people at random. 3 Obliged, 1 refused.

Presumably based on the now notorious UNITED AIRLINES incident. After watching said video like many of the passengers I was concerned. That concern was tempered somewhat after reading this was not Dr Dao's first brush with authority and the phrase "milkin' it" came to mind. That or the guy had mental problems. :dk:
David Dao, passenger removed from United flight, a doctor with troubled past

https://youtu.be/WEw-GjTriIo

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=/WEw-GjTriIo[/YOUTUBE HD]">YouTube Link</a>

They are digging an even deeper grave :D

There is no way this guy planned or perpetrated it in any way... any attempt by UA's PR agency to dig-up dirth on him will backfire badly.

The only thing to do is offer a sincere and unreserved apology, compensation, and release a statement along the lines of 'those reponsible where taken to the back yard and shot'.

This is the only damage limitation execersise they can do... there is no way they can justify or excuse these images.

Last edited:

UICTFontDescriptor <0x705f570> = {
NSFontNameAttribute = ".HelveticaNeueUI";
NSFontSizeAttribute = 16;
}

4 people were picked at random by their computer. I assume he was the only one who objected.

Reports now say he asked, and when found out that the next flight was not until the monday pm and he would miss appointments he said that the could not do it.

Then the computer voted....

After viewing this and hearing the screaming when he was forceably removed I would venture that this guy was not fully mentally competent. Its a great pity the air marshals did not twig this right away.
https://youtu.be/eU1HPwKrMrY

[YOUTUBE HD]/eU1HPwKrMrY[/YOUTUBE HD]

The guy had just had a nasty bang to the head and was being dragged down the corridor. I'd give him the benefit of the doubt over his reaction.

Looks like an extremely aggitated old man to me rather than in a state of shock. He had a split lip [ supposedly banged on an arm rest while resisting removal from his seat ] not a head injury. Possibly one of the worst things you can do to an aggitated person is to attempt to physically restrain them. It just makes things worse. Many security people interpret this type of behaviour as simple physical aggression due to lack of adequate training. They should have twigged something was wrong when he started screaming. :dk:

There is no excuse for the airline,they will have to pay a fortune to this guy,he will never have to work again or take one of their flights,what puzzles me was this was a big aircraft so they had 4 crew who needed to fly,but there are always extra seats that the crew sit in on both sides of the aircraft and they are never full up,after the flight crew have done the safety demo one sits on the port side one sits on the starboard and that is leaves two extra pull down seats which is duplicated in the next section,so 4 extra crew could have sat down and flown,at least we are now getting to understand why this was not sorted at the check in,a complete C--k up and they will pay for it.

Don't see them picking a 200lb male athlete, to remove, at "random"

Kenny

Well, let's face it, he is a Doctor....

After viewing this and hearing the screaming when he was forceably removed I would venture that this guy was not fully mentally competent. Its a great pity the air marshals did not twig this right away.
https://youtu.be/eU1HPwKrMrY

[YOUTUBE HD]/eU1HPwKrMrY[/YOUTUBE HD]

Looks like an extremely aggitated old man to me rather than in a state of shock. He had a split lip [ supposedly banged on an arm rest while resisting removal from his seat ] not a head injury. Possibly one of the worst things you can do to an aggitated person is to attempt to physically restrain them. It just makes things worse. Many security people interpret this type of behaviour as simple physical aggression due to lack of adequate training. They should have twigged something was wrong when he started screaming. :dk:

Doctors: all the same: Trumped up sense of their own importance.

There is no excuse for the airline,they will have to pay a fortune to this guy,he will never have to work again or take one of their flights,what puzzles me was this was a big aircraft so they had 4 crew who needed to fly,but there are always extra seats that the crew sit in on both sides of the aircraft and they are never full up,after the flight crew have done the safety demo one sits on the port side one sits on the starboard and that is leaves two extra pull down seats which is duplicated in the next section,so 4 extra crew could have sat down and flown,at least we are now getting to understand why this was not sorted at the check in,a complete C--k up and they will pay for it.

Looks like a regional jet - there may not be as many jump seats as in say a 737...

They are digging an even deeper grave :D

There is no way this guy planned or perpetrated it in any way... any attempt by UA's PR agency to dig-up dirth on him will backfire badly.

The only thing to do is offer a sincere and unreserved apology, compensation, and release a statement along the lines of 'those reponsible where taken to the back yard and shot'.

This is the only damage limitation execersise they can do... there is no way they can justify or excuse these images.
I understand that United's CEO has now issued another statement which would have looked much more like an unreserved apology, were it not for his earlier somewhat qualified one :doh:

Perhaps the close to $1 billion being wiped off United's stock value so far today concentrated his mind?

This could turn out to be the most expensive seat UA ever sold...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom