Airline suddenly changes a flight schedule by 13 hours

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

garystu1965

Car
Mercedes E350 CDI Coupe
I'm off to Cape Town on Saturday and the flight back was the next Sunday morning arriving home at 7.30pm on Sunday. A mere week before the flight I'm told that due to operational reasons the flight is now 13 hours later and gets back home at 0830 on Monday morning. Trouble is I have no holidays left so have to buy one. I rang them and they said I could cancel it. Oh great - do they not realise I'd have to cancel hotels, excursions, hire car all incurring penalties. Not to mention the £200 worth of SA rand I'd be stuck with. It also means the Monday holiday is spent sleeping off the overnight flight.

Has anyone had any experience like this and were they compensated ?

have a look at there terms and conditions, i had a holiday canceled on me and i received compensation.

You could ring abta or atol and see what they say

do you have travel insurance? that might provide some cover

culpano said:
I'm off to Cape Town on Saturday and the flight back was the next Sunday morning arriving home at 7.30pm on Sunday. A mere week before the flight I'm told that due to operational reasons the flight is now 13 hours later and gets back home at 0830 on Monday morning. Trouble is I have no holidays left so have to buy one. I rang them and they said I could cancel it. Oh great - do they not realise I'd have to cancel hotels, excursions, hire car all incurring penalties. Not to mention the £200 worth of SA rand I'd be stuck with. It also means the Monday holiday is spent sleeping off the overnight flight.

Has anyone had any experience like this and were they compensated ?

You shouldnt have much (if any jet lag) as SA is pretty much on the same time zone!. Sleep on the plane (if you can).

canceling seems a bit drastic. will your company not grant you a day off extra, unpaid or otherwise?

it is, after all, unsual circumstances and it would be unreasonable to expect your company to want you to cancel an entire holiday under these circumstances.

Surely a flexible and family friendly firm would allow you an extra day and ask you at some point to return the day, like giving up one day from next years entitlement and so on.

If one of my colleagues came to me with that problem, i would just say, see you Tuesday then!

That said, If the airline has said you can cancel it, this should allow you to reclaim lost deposits on hotels and things via your insurance, as adverse as it sounds, it is unreasonable to demand payment for something you have been prevented from enjoying due to circumstances beyond your control. It may allow you to reclaim lost wage from the extra day off if you read your small print, although you have had adequate notice.

First option, see the boss!

I'll check with Mrs E - she in the business - what airline is this?

PM if u prefer....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom