Airmatic calibration

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

sweeper

Car
Vito 116cdi, 2011 R Class 350cdi 4matic, Mitsubishi Outlander, Viano 2.2
Does anyone know of a reasonably priced tool which can successfully calibrate the Airmatic on my R class? I bought icarsoft MB3 but it turns out this can't calibrate despite the supplier confirming it could. I've also seen loads of clips and details of how it's done. mostly they don't make any sense with people inputting vales within the range but without measuring these before hand
This is how I see it; you measure the angles using the Romness guage and these are input into the ecu which then calculates the adjustment required to level the car, provided all the sensor values are then within range, calibration is successful, this sets the new 0 position which the control will try and maintain as best it can, mine hasn't thrown any codes but since freeing off all the sensor links it rides high on the back, with the left occasionally going far too high which suggest the sensor is faulty, so i am replacing both rear sensors, maybe this will cure th issue but i think it will need a calibration and was hoping to do it myself, if possible.

I've just fitted new level sensors plus some new links that i made up from ball ends and threaded rods, left and right hand so i can adjust the length once they are fitted (im doing this on the front as well so i can adjust the ride height if i want to). side to side the height is within 5mm so i don't think i'll need to calibrate any way, it also slightly lower than it was, if the ride is still a bit hard i will change the shocks but i'm hoping it'll be ok.

If you have xenon headlamps, you would have to set the zero point for the self-levelling ecu. Not sure how you would do that without STAR?

I was hoping maybe there was a tool that could do the calibration, which was reasonable priced, like I said I did buy the icarsoft tool which was supposed to be able to (I checked before buying) it didn't work so have contacted the supplier who confirms it wont work on this model but they are developing the software and it should come out on an update at some point, don't know when though.
So i fitted new level sensors and linkages and the ride height looks ok, it goes up and down as it should, no faults and is within 5mm side to side which is pretty good in my book, it also appears to ride smoother, although the rear shocks are still a bit "thumpy" when cold even on the softer setting.
The car has been recalled for drivers air bag replacement so I may just ask them to calibrate the ride height and check the shocks whilst they have got it, the suspension has been annoying me, all the fancy self leveling along with adaptive damping and the ride quality is poor, unless tearing down a dirt track or across a field when it excels, drive down my potholed street and its hard and bouncy, I suspect the shocks are a bit worn (i hope so in some ways as my transit connect absorbs the bumps better with just normal springs)
If anyone has an R class can they measure the ride height for me to compare? From floor to top of wheel arch front and back, and let me know what size tyres you have

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom