Airmatic 'Malfunction' ML 500

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pugwash101

Car
E350 CDI Convertible & ML 500
I have a 2011 ML500 on just over a 100k miles.
I have had the attached advisory message come up, it usually comes up a few minutes (sometimes 5 or more) after I start and drive the car.

The car is sitting normally, no front or rear 'droop' or 'sag'. If I try to change from comfort to sport or visa versa just after starting the car, it will move up / down, but once the malfunction warning comes up it wont move again until I stop and restart the car. Car drives normally and suspension feels no different to normal.

I have had the car 16 months, a few months ago I had the front shock absorbers replaced as the front of the car did droop, the previous owner had replaced the compressor and rear bags so nothing over 30 months old.

I've read previous threads and realise it could be a number of mechanical things but most are likely to be ruled out as replaced in the recent past plus there is no droop or sagging of the suspension. Although I am happy to acknowledge I could be wrong!.

So my question is - does the 'Airmatic' have a control module / pcb or similar that could be on its way out, if so any experience of replacement costs?

It needs to go in to a workshop to get sorted - will be after payday - and I'm just trying to gauge if its going to be financially painful or full open wallet surgery is all? - The front shock absorbers were eye watering.....

Any experience appreciated.

Attachments

• 20220715_132708.jpg
    20220715_132708.jpg
    160.6 KB · Views: 0
Hi, I had a similar thing with my GL. It could be a lot of things so you are doing the right thing getting the codes read. Best to do it with the star system. There is a control module but the problem is usually elsewhere. You have changed some of the common and expensive bits so hopefully it is something simple. If the car is sitting ok then it’s probably not a leak. When you raise and lower the car (with the ride height control) before the fault does it respond ok?

Turns out it was a damaged connection in the fuse box, total bill about £130 which I think is pretty reasonable for diagnostics and repair - I was braced for a significantly higher bill!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom