Airmatic problem on s320 cdi 2005 model

Discussion in 'Wheels, Tyres, Brakes & Suspension' started by donafrica, Jun 14, 2011.

1. donafrica

donafrica New Member

Car:
    s320 cdi
    I PURCHASED S 320 CDI WHICH I EXPORTED TO AFRICA(MALAWI) WHILE USING IT THERE I NOTICED THE REAR RIGHT IS SLIGHTLY LOWER WHEN CAR IS RUNNING AND AFTER PARKING FOR A FEW HOURS IT SAGS COMPLETLY AND HAS NO ANY WARNING ON DASH BOARD, AFTER STARTING IT RAISES BACK PLEASE ANY IDEAS OR ADVICE WILL BE APPRECIATED AS THE GARAGES THERE HAVE NO CLUE INCLUDING THE SO CALLED (MERC DEALERS:wallbash:)

2. renault12ts

renault12ts MB Club Veteran

Car:
    2005 W215 CL500.
    So many Mercs are exported to Africa (some legally) you'd think the local dealers would know about airmatic.

Sounds like a strut has failed. A new one will be required.

3. OP
    OP
    donafrica

donafrica New Member

Car:
    s320 cdi
    I have read about a repair kit would that do or i do need replace the strut and would be advisable to replace both? Thanks

4. A-AvantGarde

A-AvantGarde MB Enthusiast

Car:
    2016 BMW F86 X6 M, 2016 BMW F30 320d, 2001 Mercedes C320 Elegance
    Airmatic failures are extremely common on the W220 S Class (which a 2005 model would be).

As stated above it may need a new strut (most likley) or possibly the airmatic pump.

I would expect to see a warning on the instrument cluster, e.g. Airmatic Failure, Car too low etc.

Does the swith inside the car to raise / lower the car function correctly?

5. OP
    OP
    donafrica

donafrica New Member

Car:
    s320 cdi
    There is no warning on the instrument cluster of any kind just no malfunction and yes the switch raises and lowers the car fine abt 30 secs i would say all 3 sides are fine apart from rear right.thanks

6. alanuk400

alanuk400 Active Member

Car:
    2016 W222 Mercedes S-Class LWB
  7. OP
    OP
    donafrica

donafrica New Member

Car:
    s320 cdi
    just thinking if it was the airmatic pump would have a problem raising/lowering the car it seems to be working fine with the 3 other sides apart from the rear right side is the strut given up or its got a leak somewhere and how do i check that? please help im really stuck!!!!!

8. OP
    OP
    donafrica

donafrica New Member

Car:
    s320 cdi
    have managed to source out struts from breakers at 200.00 a corner from a low mileage damaged car is it advisable to go for it?

9. nicks320cdi

nicks320cdi New Member

Had a similar problem , with the front just sank. Dash warning light came on " do not Drive" had it looked at, turned out the pump was knackered. Fitting new pump, good as new. Cost including fitting and testing £400.00

1 person likes this.
  10. OP
    OP
    donafrica

donafrica New Member

Car:
    s320 cdi
    there is no warning light on at all and its just the one side rear right which is low all other 3 sides are fine car raises ok when engine is on its just when parked for a few hours the rear right goes very low.problem is car is in africa