Airmatic when activated

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rtm4676

Car
ML500
I have an ML500 W164 - 06 (never had one before and not had long) and I started to try some of the features. The airmatic system seems to work fine, it goes up and down evenly but the pump makes quite a pronounced buzzing noise when its operating. It runs for approximately 2 minutes while it is adjusting the ride height to HIGH then switches off. It then lowers itself (on command)nicely without making a noise. Is this normal? I would be grateful for feedback from folks who have experience of this system.

Last edited:
I went out and tried the airmatic again to check timings. The suspension lifts to full position in 25seconds, the pump stops for 2 seconds and restarts and continues for another 100 seconds before switching off. Its all working fine and not sounding out of sorts but is it normal to kick in after a 2 second pause?

Not sure on ML's but on my S Class, the levelling went front first then rear, that may explain the two pump operations. When lowering, the pump doesn't operate because it's not pumping it is letting out :D

Thanks Geoff. I watched the front lift first then the rear lift in 25 seconds. To me it looked like it had done all it needed to do in that time (it was sat HIGH) but kicked in again after 2 seconds. I'm keen to hear from anyone else with an ML to see how theirs behaves. I think I may replace the relay for all it costs but there isn't anything broken. Just keen to get others thoughts as in new to this set up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom