Airmatic - worth waiting for?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
For good reason I suspect! Just had a quick scan on Auto Trader and there are a couple of 350SB’s with Airmatic. One’s a grey 15 plate and the other a black 17 plate (with 110k miles). Not sure if they work for you but might be worth a look on the site?

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202104211632038
https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202103029651407
Hey thanks.. yep scanning like a hawk and have saved searches. The grey one seems ok. Just wished it had a light interior but then it’s going to be hard getting the combo right.

If you do buy a V6 diesel CLS SB, I can recommend an MSL remap. I had a 350 CDI W212 estate - same engine - with a TDI Tuning box on it, and was a little disappointed with the performance. My CLS has had a proper rolling road remap at MSL, and while TDI Tuning claimed the same bhp and torque figures as the MSL dyno sheet shows, I'm not disappointed this time...
Thanks! I had a 635D previously and it went to dms automotive in Southampton for the same. Was a monster afterwards 🤣

My E500 with full airmatic (with the adjustable firmness settings and ride height) with 17" alloys is super. The car lowers at higher speeds for stability (they are excellent mile-munchers) and I didn't know this but according to a contemporary brochure that I recently purchased off ebay, the airmatic automatically firms up when it senses sporty driving...

It does cost, however, to replace - just call it £750-£1000 per corner in order to set your expectations accordingly. Additionally, it helps to have a good alignment place that knows Mercs set it up so that you get even tyre wear.
Really rare! Only seen one E500 (W212 I believe the model is). That’s the dream spec as I do few miles these days and really fancy some V8 burble to compliment my flat 6 buzzsaw

Hey thanks.. yep scanning like a hawk and have saved searches. The grey one seems ok. Just wished it had a light interior but then it’s going to be hard getting the combo right.
I fell you pain, took me a while to find my S212 E350 with the spec that I wanted and light interior..

@M5sime Part of the reason I chose my C350e is that it has Airmatic as standard and it's unheard of to have air suspension in a car that small when looking at 3 series, A4 etc

I had been taken in multiple S class taxis over the years with Airmatic and oh wow, I wanted that "luxurious" feeling in my own MB one day.

However, I want to point out that whilst Airmatic is one factor, you should also look at the combination of tyres/wheels on a car you're looking to purchase, i.e. smaller wheels with relative big sidewalls may also contribute to a softer, more compliant ride and tyres can play a role too. Some tyres are softer riding than others.

Before you decide anything, book a test drive on an S Class in the same price bracket.

Then make your decision ….

@M5sime Part of the reason I chose my C350e is that it has Airmatic as standard and it's unheard of to have air suspension in a car that small when looking at 3 series, A4 etc

I had been taken in multiple S class taxis over the years with Airmatic and oh wow, I wanted that "luxurious" feeling in my own MB one day.

However, I want to point out that whilst Airmatic is one factor, you should also look at the combination of tyres/wheels on a car you're looking to purchase, i.e. smaller wheels with relative big sidewalls may also contribute to a softer, more compliant ride and tyres can play a role too. Some tyres are softer riding than others.
Hey thanks - agree with you on the tyre size and compliance as part of the mix. Only few cars seem to be renowned for amazing ride despite the low profile tyres - Alpina being one

Before you decide anything, book a test drive on an S Class in the same price bracket.

Then make your decision ….
Thank you. Still a bit tricky I guess with Covid. I’m almost afraid to drive one as I can barely fit it on the drive and keep thinking a hatch/estate/folding seats would be practical. I do like having the ability to get long things in the car now and then.

Hey thanks - agree with you on the tyre size and compliance as part of the mix. Only few cars seem to be renowned for amazing ride despite the low profile tyres - Alpina being one
@M5sime I think you would be surprised at recent advancements. I've driven a lot of new cars launched in the last 2 years from a whole bunch of manufacturers including MB, and the ride quality is often remarkable, even on low profile tyres (even on those that don't have air suspension)

@M5sime I think you would be surprised at recent advancements. I've driven a lot of new cars launched in the last 2 years from a whole bunch of manufacturers including MB, and the ride quality is often remarkable, even on low profile tyres (even on those that don't have air suspension)
Good to know! I haven’t driven much younger than 10yrs old. I don’t think I’ll buy newer than 2015 or so based on how much i want to spend

I know the owner of a 2016 RS6 with 21" alloys and a sports pack (whatever it's called) and he says that the ride is remarkable.

Airmatic E350 here and its my first its also a v6 Diesel and it will surprise you if you hoof it, mine has a faulty knocking rear damper at the moment which costs more than the airspring! So am awaiting delivery of a pair of new ones, despite the knock which is internal to the shock the ride and to be honest the handling is brilliant, I wouldn't fit 19s though not for comfort but just to avoid constant wheel replacement when they get cracked.
As mentioned above it lowers at speed firms itself in corners and even drops its bum when you open the boot ( mines an estate) done 850 miles this week and its very comfortable for that as well as swallowing all my survey gear with room to spare

To replace my 2015 E350 AMG line coupe I ordered my C250d C Class estate (S205) in 2016. Airmatic was the second option I ticked following the Premium Plus package. Other options included 360 degree camera package, 19” wheels (with runflats) and full light grey leather. My plan was to change the car after 2-3 years as I had never kept a car more than 2.5 years for the last 45 years of driving. My S205 is now just over 5 years old and I do not want to change it. During the 5 years I have driven a number of MB loan cars across the MB range when my car went in for service, all gave a far less comfortable ride than my car on airmatic. Driving the same route with my own car and the loan cars to and from the dealership by the same route on the same day gives a reasonably fair back to back comparison. One loan car, a E Class AMG line coupe demonstrated that the ride was better than my old E Class coupe but was still harsher than my C Class.
My car unfortunately developed a front shock absorber leak and requires a new airmatic strut as the damper and air spring and not available as separate items coming as one assembled unit. Cost fitted was about £1,200. Unfortunately the replacement airmatic strut was on back order for 10 weeks, during this time I had a brand new C300d AMG line coupe on 18” conventional tyres. I found the ride rather harsh, this extended test period confirmed that I would not be parting with good money to replace my now ageing car with the newer C Class due to the ride quality even on smaller non run- flat tyres.
looking forward I would like to return to the E Class but my needs list includes airmatic, panoramic roof and a light interior. At present I would can only get one of the three, the panoramic roof, and only then if I order a Night Line Premium Plus. Not keen on the de-chromed look with the black wheels or the dark interior. With new car depreciation at £500 or more a month I will keep putting away cash for repairs.

Airmatic E350 here and its my first its also a v6 Diesel and it will surprise you if you hoof it, mine has a faulty knocking rear damper at the moment which costs more than the airspring! So am awaiting delivery of a pair of new ones, despite the knock which is internal to the shock the ride and to be honest the handling is brilliant, I wouldn't fit 19s though not for comfort but just to avoid constant wheel replacement when they get cracked.
As mentioned above it lowers at speed firms itself in corners and even drops its bum when you open the boot ( mines an estate) done 850 miles this week and its very comfortable for that as well as swallowing all my survey gear with room to spare
Thank you. Great to know ! I’m learning the models - do you have a S212? Any specific specification (ie is this an AMG line/sport)?

To replace my 2015 E350 AMG line coupe I ordered my C250d C Class estate (S205) in 2016. Airmatic was the second option I ticked following the Premium Plus package. Other options included 360 degree camera package, 19” wheels (with runflats) and full light grey leather. My plan was to change the car after 2-3 years as I had never kept a car more than 2.5 years for the last 45 years of driving. My S205 is now just over 5 years old and I do not want to change it. During the 5 years I have driven a number of MB loan cars across the MB range when my car went in for service, all gave a far less comfortable ride than my car on airmatic. Driving the same route with my own car and the loan cars to and from the dealership by the same route on the same day gives a reasonably fair back to back comparison. One loan car, a E Class AMG line coupe demonstrated that the ride was better than my old E Class coupe but was still harsher than my C Class.
My car unfortunately developed a front shock absorber leak and requires a new airmatic strut as the damper and air spring and not available as separate items coming as one assembled unit. Cost fitted was about £1,200. Unfortunately the replacement airmatic strut was on back order for 10 weeks, during this time I had a brand new C300d AMG line coupe on 18” conventional tyres. I found the ride rather harsh, this extended test period confirmed that I would not be parting with good money to replace my now ageing car with the newer C Class due to the ride quality even on smaller non run- flat tyres.
looking forward I would like to return to the E Class but my needs list includes airmatic, panoramic roof and a light interior. At present I would can only get one of the three, the panoramic roof, and only then if I order a Night Line Premium Plus. Not keen on the de-chromed look with the black wheels or the dark interior. With new car depreciation at £500 or more a month I will keep putting away cash for repairs.
Such a great bit of feedback! So again, while the suspension costs are high when issues arise, the general consensus seems to be that owners value it enough. The search continues for the right spec. Agree with you on the light leather (my overall pref is very light seats and dark carpets). I can live without a sunroof and at this stage even the tech if I can find the Airmatic. Perhaps this is what keeps tempting me to look at S class cars that have the suspension sorted by default. (But are then large cars and rare in SWB).

Thank you. Great to know ! I’m learning the models - do you have a S212? Any specific specification (ie is this an AMG line/sport)?

Its a fully specced Avantgarde Estate did look at sports versions but am not keen on suede feel seats which the majority of sports come with and I wanted easy to adjust seats as my Wife will sometimes drive this and it has memory and adjustment right on the doors for both sides which includes the Steering and mirrors all you need to do is the internal mirror, got Dab, Bluetooth, Ipod Satnav etc so am missing nothing from a newer car,sunroofs I detest they invariably leak at some point anyway and when open you cant see the screen in the dash

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom