Alarm buttons inside car

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

kaitlin

Car
Mercedes a180
Hi posted this a few times..
My alarm goes off on my car every night just about i fitted a new bonnet catch yesterday and hoped this would fix my problem, but that’s not the case.
Someone mentioned the two buttons where interior lights are which you can switch off to stop the alarm going off. I’ve already tried this and the alarm still goes off.
What are these called as this could be the issue for the alarm going off and will have to try fitting a new sensor. & should it even be broken as the car isn’t even a year old?

Open the driver’s window.

Shut the door and lock the car with the remote fob.

Wait one minute for alarm to arm itself.

Reach in the open window and open the driver’s door from inside.

Does the alarm go off as soon as you open the door?

How many seconds do the hazards flash for?... should be 30 seconds.

How many minutes does the siren sound for?... should be 3 minutes.

When you lock the car with the remote, do the hazards flash two times or three times?..should be 3 times

Dec

When you lock the car with the remote, do the hazards flash two times or three times?..should be 3 times

Dec
I’ll try this when i get home.
The alarm sometimes goes off just until i unlock the car with the key and unlock it but lately when it’s happened i can unlock/ lock get in and start the car up and it still goes off!
Think the hazards flash twice when locked ( the horn also pips ) i will double check when i’m home

I know this is an ongoing saga for you (having read and replied on your other threads), did you ever manage to get to an indie and have them put it on their diagnostic machine, as it may show up the fault code (new or stored), so at least then you have some direction for resolving it.
Did you ever manage to locate where the siren was?

I know this is an ongoing saga for you (having read and replied on your other threads), did you ever manage to get to an indie and have them put it on their diagnostic machine, as it may show up the fault code (new or stored), so at least then you have some direction for resolving it.
Did you ever manage to locate where the siren was?

Yes it’s never ending unfortunately,
i’ve found the siren it’s under the passenger wheel arch!
When we took it to another garage there was no fault codes coming up for the alarm so i actually haven’t got a clue what i’ll do with it. It’ll cost an arm & leg at mercedes.
Think the fault may be the interior buttons for the alarm cause that didn’t switch it off when pressed

Yes it’s never ending unfortunately,
i’ve found the siren it’s under the passenger wheel arch!
When we took it to another garage there was no fault codes coming up for the alarm so i actually haven’t got a clue what i’ll do with it. It’ll cost an arm & leg at mercedes.
Think the fault may be the interior buttons for the alarm cause that didn’t switch it off when pressed

Alarm going off for no reason could also be due to failed internal NiCd battery inside the sounder horn (under the wheelarch).

Had it on a Vauxhall some years back. New sounder sorted it.

Alarm going off for no reason could also be due to failed internal NiCd battery inside the sounder horn (under the wheelarch).

Had it on a Vauxhall some years back. New sounder sorted it.
Thank you i will see if that could be the issue

I’ll try this when i get home.
The alarm sometimes goes off just until i unlock the car with the key and unlock it but lately when it’s happened i can unlock/ lock get in and start the car up and it still goes off!
Think the hazards flash twice when locked ( the horn also pips ) i will double check when i’m home

When you refer to locking with the key, do you mean the remote control fob or do you mean the emergency metal key blade?

Locking/unlocking the car with the emergency metal key blade doesn’t arm or disarm the alarm.

A new alarm siren is about £100, your dad can fit it in under an hour, very easy job to do.

Dec

When you refer to locking with the key, do you mean the remote control fob or do you mean the emergency metal key blade?

Locking/unlocking the car with the emergency metal key blade doesn’t arm or disarm the alarm.

A new alarm siren is about £100, your dad can fit it in under an hour, very easy job to do.

Dec
Yes when i lock it with the remote the horn beeps, i have to always lock it manutally with the metal key to stop the alarm, my dads been saying it’s starting to go off when it’s unlocked too now.
How would i know if the actual battery in the alarm siren is the problem before buying a new one?

Yes when i lock it with the remote the horn beeps, i have to always lock it manutally with the metal key to stop the alarm, my dads been saying it’s starting to go off when it’s unlocked too now.
How would i know if the actual battery in the alarm siren is the problem before buying a new one?
Unfotunately there's no way tp tell. You could take off the old one and open it to see if the battery or contacts are corroded, though these are usually sealed units so not sure it can be put back togethers once opened.

If you remove the old one, the car can be driven normally without it i.e. until you buy a new one, but of course there's a potential issue with insurance if your alarm is disabled.

Unfotunately there's no way tp tell. You could take off the old one and open it to see if the battery or contacts are corroded, though these are usually sealed units so not sure it can be put back togethers once opened.

If you remove the old one, the car can be driven normally without it i.e. until you buy a new one, but of course there's a potential issue with insurance if your alarm is disabled.

I just can’t work out how that could even be the case when the
cars not a year old the alarm shouldn’t be faulty, but this might be my best option.
The car was in a bump but i’ve bought a new bonnet catch, it’s had new hinges i just can’t understand what else it could be

Does it go off at the same time every night?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes it was going off at about 3am every night then about half a hour later it would go off again. It’s went off a few times at work aswell

Is it not still under warranty, or did the bump negate it?

From previous posts, it would appear it was bought as salvage/damage repairable as the OP's father is a mechanic, so no warranty sadly.

Would you be prepared to test the alarm, as above, accurately, the times are important. It might give a clue as to what is wrong.

It would seem to me if it was a crashed car, then its likely it was off the road for months, sitting in a repair yard maybe in the open, not good for any electric in a car.

See… Mercedes alarm siren PCB - Google Search

Dec

Would you be prepared to test the alarm, as above, accurately, the times are important. It might give a clue as to what is wrong.

It would seem to me if it was a crashed car, then its likely it was off the road for months, sitting in a repair yard maybe in the open, not good for any electric in a car.

Dec
i will try this as soon as i’m home and let you know. it was off the road for about 4 weeks all together. alarm wasn’t going off then but something was unplugged which apparently stops the alarm (which ever wires make the windscreen wipers work) was not plugged in

Dec
Just tried.. door won’t open and alarm didn’t go off. Hazards flashed 3 times when locked

Yes it was going off at about 3am every night then about half a hour later it would go off again. It’s went off a few times at work aswell

DEC is your man for this but?? If it is starting at the same time on each event? You or your neighbours may have something on a timer that triggers your alarm. Pond cleaner/pump?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom