alarm playing up.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

recycled

MB Enthusiast

Does anyone know anything about sterling alarms?
Reason mine is out of sequence and I do not know what happened.
Initially it has 2 buttons on the fob. One above and one below.
To arm it you press the top button once and a beep follows then a red light on the dash flashes once every 3 secs.
To disarm, you press the top button again, it beeps twice and the red light flashes continuously until you open a door then it goes out. If you do not open a door or boot, it will arm itself again after 30 seconds thinking it was an accidental press of the button.
if a door is left open while trying to arm it beeps four times

Now what happens is this (just started one saturday afternoon)
To arm press the top button and it beeps three times followed by the red light on the dash every 3secs.
To disarm you press the top button and it beeps twice but the red light just goes off and does not arm itself if you do not open any doors, so if you accidentally hit the button from the house, it could stay disarmed all day.

Do not ask me what the button below is for as it has never been used.
Each beep comes with the indicator flash.
Any ideas welcome as it needs resetting I think.

Does it have a battery back-up?

When battery back-ups fail, they can make alarms do all sorts of unexplainable things. The first thing I'd check.

changed the fob batteries but no show.

just hope no one will be interested in robbing a stripped spec peugeot gti.

The back up batteries are rechargeables normally inside the body of the siren if the alarm has got one and doesn't just use the car horn. The idea being the siren continues to sound even if the battery is disconnected. To test this disconnect the car battery-that should cause the alarm to go off when armed. Altho re- chargeable these batteries do peg out eventually.

Would no nothing about your alarm, I am just thinking out loud here. The bottom button may be a panic button, for example if it were pressed for more than say, 3 seconds the siren may sound? If it dose sound then pressing it again for 3 seconds would turn it off.

The bottom button may also have a dual purpose of programming the automatic (after 30 seconds) re-arming of the alarm, for example if you pressed the bottom button once and then immediately pressed the top button once (or even continually for say 3 seconds) the 30 seconds re-arming feature may become activated again.

Pressing different buttons in different sequences may alter the way the system works, you obviously don’t have a users manual so trial and error may give you a clue as to how it works.

Dec

I believe sterling and TOAD are the same company. If you contact one of their agents maybe they can help or supply a manual?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom