Alarm Siren location help W209 CLK

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Blobsta

Car
S202 C43 Wagon
Hi everyone,

I'm after a little help if possible with a diagram and perhaps even part number for the alarm siren on my 2009 CLK. Since I've owned the car, the siren has never worked although the alarm does quite often trigger itself. I assume that this was a politeness feature so as not to disturb the previous owner's neighbours and that they had simply disconnected the siren in favour of resolving the issue. However, having had a read through some related posts, it seems that the battery is the likely culprit and given it's age I am sure that it must have had it by now in my one so there is also a good chance that it is systematically ruining it's circuit board at the same time. I absolutely hate it when things don't work properly and after fitting a new OEM 3rd brake light yesterday, this is the last thing on my list of broken things to resolve but there is always fettling to do on these old cars isn't there?

The fault that my alarm has is that is sometimes triggers within 5-10 minutes of locking the car. I disarm it, wait 5-10 minutes for it to happen again and then disarm/rearm all is fine for either a month or until the next time I use it. I'm struggling to find a pattern for the behaviour other than to say. that it seems worse if the car does a few short journeys. The only other possible clue that I have come up with is that I noticed the interior light was on when it happened last week which made me wonder if it is a door trigger that is faulty but to be honest, I don't know if when the alarm is triggered the car turns on the interior light as part of a deterrent etc. I've checked the parking foot age from my dash cam and nothing has ever gone near the car to trigger the fault.

So, if any of you kind souls can tell me where the siren is and the part number I would be most grateful as well as any experience you have of this fault and resolutions. Most of the threads I found seem to be related to the Scorpion units from the 90's but am happy to be guided to a post I may have missed.

Also, (while I'm asking)... I see a lot of you are able to post the parts catalogue pics, I tried to register with MB for it but it seems it's no longer available for public use, is there a resource available elsewhere I might look at? Having had several BMWs I loved realoem.com as a resource but am unable to find similar for MB.

Any help appreciated as always.

Richard

Last edited:
Ha Ha!!!
I was back in Jaguar ownership mode, on my S-type it was on the O/S

Hi,
Just looked on WIS for the CLK 209 350 the document states in the words it is fitted in the left front wheel arch, yet the photo in the work sheet points to the right front wheel arch very confused, might be different sides if RHD and LHD.
Personally think it is in the left (N/S) front wheel arch.

Ours needed a new siren a few years ago. It was in the nearside wheel arch.

Well, I can categorically tell you that it is in the N/S wheel arch. I dismantled it at lunchtime only to find that although I have the right security bits to undo the bolts, one of them has a steel brace running just underneath it and I don't have an adapter shallow enough to get in there because I lost it and have loaned out my only adjustable spanner. It is now raining (HARD) and I feel foolish. I'll get a tool on it in a while so I can at least put the car back on the floor while I resolve the issue with the siren.

Thanks for the help so far.

Ours needed a new siren a few years ago. It was in the nearside wheel arch.
Had yours failed in the same way as mine i.e. not making any noise when the alarm goes off? Did you get it diagnosed as being the cause of the triggers? I'm asking as I now have it on the bench and it would seem that I will need to cut it open as it looks like a sealed unit.

My fear is that I spend £120 to replace it only to annoy everyone with it when it has one of the days where it keeps going off :) I'd rather it just stay quiet if that is to be the case. And it's not like anybody really reacts to an alarm going off other than to tut and roll their eyes...

Had yours failed in the same way as mine i.e. not making any noise when the alarm goes off? Did you get it diagnosed as being the cause of the triggers? I'm asking as I now have it on the bench and it would seem that I will need to cut it open as it looks like a sealed unit.

My fear is that I spend £120 to replace it only to annoy everyone with it when it has one of the days where it keeps going off :) I'd rather it just stay quiet if that is to be the case. And it's not like anybody really reacts to an alarm going off other than to tut and roll their eyes...
No. It would just go off randomly for no apparent reason. I seem to remember it was around £80 but it was a few years ago. It needed Star to identify whether it was the siren or one of the various sensors that was at fault.

Don't rule out the possibility of a creepy creature having taken up residence in the car. Scurrying about looking for a bite to eat and triggering the alarm.

No. It would just go off randomly for no apparent reason. I seem to remember it was around £80 but it was a few years ago. It needed Star to identify whether it was the siren or one of the various sensors that was at fault.
I wondered if Star could tell me what the trigger was. I'll get my indy to have a look as I'm going to book it in for a gearbox oil change soon anyway.

Thanks

STAR can show what triggers have activated the siren but I believe the normal issue is the siren itself, the batteries die/leak

Thanks - I'll have to cut it open to satisfy my own curiosity I think.

It seems to be a sealed unit

It is a sealed unit, but a few minutes careful work with a hacksaw round the 'equator' does the trick. The usual fault seems to be that the 2 rechargeable NiMH batteries fail (2 x V150H). If left long enough, they leak and destroy the PCB. If caught in time, the batteries can be replaced for around £15 and 30 minutes work with a soldering iron. Note that the new batteries have a slightly different pin-out to the existing ones.
I must get around to doing mine - the alarm and new batteries are sat here on my desk. The car works fine without the alarm fitted.
Ian.

You know it's not going to be good when the brown water runs out as you cut through with the hacksaw! I fear this one is a bit past saving looking at the state of the PCB. I don't think I'm going to try to save this one.
50551090967_72b310da06_k.jpg

50551090922_cc9ef6c48d_k.jpg

Years of life left in that alarm :rolleyes:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom