Album Art - Where does comand online get its Album art from?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Goldfish11

Car
C220 CDI (09/11 - Facelift) & SLK200
I now have my new W204 C Class with the new Comand online. I notice when using my ipod and other media that sometimes I get Album art displayed and at other times it is not displayed. I was initially wondering if it was something to do with the album art location.

Yesterday however I noticed that for one album, album art different to what was on my ipod was displayed :confused:. i.e. it was not the picture I had inserted but was a different picture but for the same album. (Some albums as you know have different sleaves for the same album).

Does the album art therefore come from the Gracenote data base on the system? Or is something stranger happening? It it does not come from Gracenote how can you insure album art is displayed for every album? (It is displayed for every album on the ipod but when the ipod is plugged into comand only certain albums display the art work)

Any one got any explanations? :dk:

Bump - Richard and Alfie - any thoughts on this?

I now have my new W204 C Class with the new Comand online. I notice when using my ipod and other media that sometimes I get Album art displayed and at other times it is not displayed. I was initially wondering if it was something to do with the album art location.

Yesterday however I noticed that for one album, album art different to what was on my ipod was displayed :confused:. i.e. it was not the picture I had inserted but was a different picture but for the same album. (Some albums as you know have different sleaves for the same album).

Does the album art therefore come from the Gracenote data base on the system? Or is something stranger happening? It it does not come from Gracenote how can you insure album art is displayed for every album? (It is displayed for every album on the ipod but when the ipod is plugged into comand only certain albums display the art work)

Yes, it's from the MP3 tag. If you add the cover art (max 30 kb jpg) to the MP3 tag (image) on each file, it will show the cover on the screen. I normally use Mp3Tag to add the album cover art.

I spent a week sorting out my iPod and random lack of cover art! It took a great deal of patience and tooing and froing from the car but every song / album now has displaying cover art.

Here's what I found:
The car firstly tries to find cover art from the internal HDD, if it can't find it there it tries to get it off your iPod (although sometimes this does, sometimes it doesn't work!)
So this is what I did:

First, in itunes made sure all cover art was 500 x 500 pixels (it needs to be square i think) and 100kb or less (Amazon is a great place to get cover art, but I used a combination of paint / ms picture viewer/editor to change any erroneous ones).

To do this in iTunes highlight all the songs in the album - select 'get info', then the artwork tab and drag the picture to the desktop - right click and select 'properties' - if you need to, open it and edit to get right size. Then delete the original cover art off each song and replace it with the new edited one. At this point I also converted the id3 tags for each track to v2.4 within iTunes to make sure the new artwork was associated with each song.

Then copy your iTunes library to an external HDD or, like I did a USB drive (28gb of music and a 4gb USB drive meant I did this in about 7 or 8 stages!).

Connect the USB /external HDD to your car.

In the options choose the device you've attached, then- search by cover

You will then be asked to copy the covers - say yes to this (not these exact words but this parts easy!)

Remove the USB / HDD and select the songs you've just copied the artwork for on your iPod and the cover art should be there!

It worked for about 95% of my songs first time - the other 5% I just changed the cover art or album name (it didnt like some long / foreign / heavily punctuated names) and re-copied them to the USB and they all work now. Being of an OCD nature I checked every song (not album, but every song) on 4 days 20 mile round trips to work. However I would not recommend doing this as I nearly crashed on a number of occasions. But the neighbours were already wondering why I was spending so much time in a car parked on my drive so it was the best time for me.

Hopefully this has been of some help and works for you:thumb:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom