Aldi Dash Cam

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

maha

Car
Suzuki Alto
Hi All,

Have you seen the Aldi dash cam they are going to be selling? Whats your thoughts on it as it comes with a memory card.

There's a thread on one of the legal forums at the moment about dash cams and the ones that have a screen and if they are illegal or not as they have technically video in motion enabled which is illegal under the RTA. Not followed it up yet as overseas but interesting as if it is illegal then footage from it can't be used as evidence. Interesting !!!!

The future for dash cams!

Doesn't work on Internet Explorer but works on Chrome.

Dec

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zU95-wX0xJo

Last edited:
the ones that have a screen and if they are illegal or not as they have technically video in motion enabled which is illegal under the RTA.

It's not illegal as long as it's only showing the location of the vehicle on the road which is covered under...
The Road Vehicles (Construction and Use) Regulations 1986. Regulation 109.

'Television sets

109.—(1) No person shall drive, or cause or permit to be driven, a motor vehicle on a road, if the driver is in such a position as to be able to see, whether directly or by reflection, a television receiving apparatus or other cinematographic apparatus used to display anything other than information—

(a) about the state of the vehicle or its equipment;

(b) about the location of the vehicle and the road on which it is located;

(c) to assist the driver to see the road adjacent to the vehicle; or

(d) to assist the driver to reach his destination.'

Last edited:
It's not illegal as long as it's only showing the location of the vehicle on the road which is covered under...
The Road Vehicles (Construction and Use) Regulations 1986. Regulation 109.

'Television sets

109.—(1) No person shall drive, or cause or permit to be driven, a motor vehicle on a road, if the driver is in such a position as to be able to see, whether directly or by reflection, a television receiving apparatus or other cinematographic apparatus used to display anything other than information—

(a) about the state of the vehicle or its equipment;

(b) about the location of the vehicle and the road on which it is located;

(c) to assist the driver to see the road adjacent to the vehicle; or

(d) to assist the driver to reach his destination.'

They are saying its not covered under 109 as 109 b & d is designed to cover sat nav units not dash cameras. c is designed to capture parking info or side view cameras. So dash cams are not covered under 109

How does the driver stand legally if the dashcam is fitted high on the passenger side screen behind the rear view mirror and completely out of sight to the driver as mine is? I cannot see the dash cam screen as the overhead light assembly blocks it totally from my view.

How does the driver stand legally if the dashcam is fitted high on the passenger side screen behind the rear view mirror and completely out of sight to the driver as mine is? I cannot see the dash cam screen as the overhead light assembly blocks it totally from my view.

I suppose that it depends on the unit rather than how you fit it. It's impossible to govern how an individual chooses to fit their cam.

Exactly where mine is fitted, from the drivers seat (without physically moving from the driving position) I cannot see the screen, so even if section 'b' does not cover it (which I believe it does) it is legal, just the same as the type of screens fitted in RR which show TV in motion but only the passenger can view it due to the angle and design of the screen (bi-display).

Pipe, sit, stuff and smoke it. ;)

Besides all of the above, most ( if not all) dashcams can be configured for the screen display to turn off after 30secs or similar so the screen is not "live" while the vehicle is being driven.

I have this unit bought under a different name, the screen folds flat when in use. The screen is used to check the camera is situated where you want it. If I remember, the recording is on a 15 minute loop. There is also provision for single or a burst of single shots. The picture quality, in my opinion is very good, the sound quality however is carp. The two I have pre-dates the one in Aldi but I am sure its the same one. To be honest i have not checked them for ages.

Maybe a silly question but just wondering how the Police go about it as their screens are located right in the middle of the dash so both driver and passenger can view it?

Maybe a silly question but just wondering how the Police go about it as their screens are located right in the middle of the dash so both driver and passenger can view it?

Quite, also I have yet to see a police car that is not in violation of the Regulation 30 of SI 1986 No 1078, as they always have all sorts of [necessary] stuff, attached to their windscreens, which is technically illegal, unless the obscuration is under 10mm in central 290mm zone (i.e. 145mm each side of the centre of the steering wheel), or under 40mm in the rest of swipe area. Most suction cups are 56mm and over.

Some laws/rules are created by dimwits, trying to justify their existence/salary/quango/grant/blood sucking entitlement :dk:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom