Alert in Multifunction Display

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dad4geer

Car
W204 C180 AMG Sport
Hello all, need help with this alert I got this evening when I started to drive. It was all good this afternoon but tonight when I set off from home it started giving me a warning tone with that icon on MF display. It appears to be related to bonnet but my bonnet is all securely locked. I even opened and closed my bonnet by pulling over but the alert stays there as soon as I drove again. It goes away when I stop or put the gear in parking. Anyone has seen this before? I manage to temporarily fix it by opening and closing the boot and I thought maybe that was the issue but 10 minutes into the drive it came back again with warning tone. Please help!

Note: It is a bit annoying given I did not touch the hood for last one month or so, it has been closed and there were no issues until tonight it suddently started to throw that alert.

Attachments

• Alert_bon.JPG
    Alert_bon.JPG
    77.6 KB · Views: 56
  • Alert_bon2.jpg
    Alert_bon2.jpg
    19.1 KB · Views: 46
Last edited:
I'm not sure if this helps but I've read many times here that you really need to give it a proper hard slam when you close the bonnet for the system to acknowledge that the bonnet is in fact shut.

Try opening it and give it a fairly hard slam. Sounds a little savage but that's what others have suggested.

Ant.

Don't slam it, just give the last inch or so a firm push down, with a hand either side.

Don't slam it, just give the last inch or so a firm push down, with a hand either side.

That's maybes a better piece of advice. I keep forgetting I'm not on a builders forum. :doh:

Thanks guys will give it a go tomorrow morning! I have been closing the hood like a gentleman so maybe need to get a little tough...

The correct way to close the bonnet is neither to slam or push it.
Slamming can damage the catches and pushing can damage the panels.
Just allow the panel to drop from about 300mm (That's a foot in old money:eek:)
If it does not shut correctly and turn out the warning light, then the catches or sensor switch require adjustment.

Alternatively, it could be the warning is for some other malfunction. Bonnet not shut properly on a VW Crafter (which actually is a Mercedes...) shows as both front doors open on the warning indicator!:dk:
Does the handbook give any clues?

Hi all, I opened the bonnet this morning full up then went back inside car and moved the opening handle up/down, went back to bonnet and applied WD40 to both right and left side latches, moved them with a screwdriver until they got all wet with WD40 then closed the bonnet with some force. The alert is now gone so seems like it was the latch. I will see if it comes back again and then may have to show it to my dealer for a proper check.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom