Alfa Romeo 156

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MattyBass

Car
W124 E230
Has anybody got any experience of the 156?

My Merc or 'the colander' as i like to call it now has not got long for the world as it is rapidly turning into red dust, and i am looking around for a new motor.

I was looking at Mercs first, but have decided to widen my net and had a look at a 2002 156 1.8TS. It's fully loaded, leather, climate the works, and it's only done about 75K with FSH.

Just wondering if anybody has owned one, or knows someone who has, and whether they are as unreliable as Alfas of old, they're obviously not gonna be on a par with a German marque, but are they really that bad?

cheers for your help.

I had a 156 and now have a 159. They are nothing like as unreliable as their reputation. I had the 156 two years and nothing ever fell off it or went wrong. The trim felt a bit plasticky and it was quite noisy, but certainly reliable.

I have now had my 159 just over 2 years and it's coming up to 65k miles. Much more solidly built (Alfa is now run by the former chief exec of Rolls Royce), it feels like a German car and again almost totally reliable. The only thing that has gone wrong with it was an air leak in the power steering reservoir, which unfortunately did mean it was off the road for a week, partly because of a delay in getting the part - the delay itself was because it went on Good Friday, so everything was shut for a week in Italy!

If you can stretch to a 159, it's definitely worth the extra. Great fun to drive, quiet, smooth and comfortable. Mine is the 1.9 diesel, which is an Alfa engine - the 2.2 petrol is a GM lump. But with 150bhp and not driving like an 80 year-old I still average over 40mpg.

Really useful and friendly forum at Alfa Romeo Cars - The site all Alfa Drivers need to join!

PS I take mine to France twice a year each year and stock up with wine to bring back. The 159 has a greater max loading weight than anyhing else in its class and quite a few in the class above!

Last edited:
I agree - big fan of Alfas and if you can stretch to the 159 it's a lovely car. The 1.9 and also 2.4 jtdm engines are pretty spritely and god on fuel economy. Make sure that if you're going for one with mileage that it's had the cambelt service done (usually at the 72k service) and also ensure that it's had its pre-tensioners done in that service not just a belt replacement which is the short-cut. My understanding is that it's the pre-tensioners that go on these.

Expect the ussual Alfa niggles with electronics - they definitely have a 'personality'. I had an airbag light showing on mine recently for ages. Didn't know what it was. Then moved the drivers seat forward to get the child seat out of the back and voila - airbag light off, no problem. I also had a 'motor control system failure' and car went into limp mode. I talked to it nicely, stroked its bonnet and bought it some flowers and wahey - a few days later, light went off and car driving like a dream!

It's all part of the fun!

Make sure that if you're going for one with mileage that it's had the cambelt service done (usually at the 72k service) and also ensure that it's had its pre-tensioners done in that service not just a belt replacement which is the short-cut.

I'm pretty sure that Alfa have issued a release changing the timing belt interval to every 36K, as many snapped early..

Jack

I'm pretty sure that Alfa have issued a release changing the timing belt interval to every 36K, as many snapped early..

Jack

This is true, the bulletin was released in 2006.

I've been looking at Alfa's, the 156 and the bigger 166. The 166 seems amazing value for money. The facelift versions are a thing of beauty!

A friend of mine works for Alfa Romeo and tells me the twin spark engines use oil, so regular checks are essential. The V6's and the diesels are fairly robust. He also advises to avoid the Selespeed gearbox as it's very problematic. Bushes and wishbones are also a problem area, so listen out for knocking over bumps.

The "Ti" is the trim level to have, leather recaro's better wheels etc.

Cheers for the comments, might have to take a closer look at them. They seem quite rare over here, and cheaper than the UK.

I think the one i've seen is a Lusso, as it has the leather seats and climate etc.

Personally, however much I like the styling and sound of Alfa's, the FWD of the 156/159/166 always stops me buying one. I see you have a RWD Merc w124, I think you would notice the difference. FWD cars larger than a Focus, never handle as well as RWD imo. I just don' understand why Alfa, who claims it's cars are Sporting saloons, now make them FWD, I guess it's just cheaper to manufacture :-(

Interior plastics are very poor also and they are very low, so speed humps can be a problem. I think you would probably regret it, if you want a change from Merc, what about an X-type Jag for similar money, size of car? Or better still an x300 Jag, great car, great value!

Jack

X-Types are also front wheel drive, unless of cause you get a 2.5 or a 3.0, which are 4 wheel drive.

I once had a test drive in an Alfa Romeo GTV 3.2 V6, these are also front wheel drive and I must admit, it handled very well!

I think you would probably regret it, if you want a change from Merc, what about an X-type Jag for similar money, size of car? Or better still an x300 Jag, great car, great value!

Jack

If you fancy an X-Type, buy a Mondeo. I think they are better! Did a lot of work to an X-Type last weekend and every part I replaced was from Ford as it was cheaper. I found the road noise to be unbearable after my W124 too.. 20 years of progress!

You gotta buy an Alfa with your heart.. If you have to ask if its a sensible purchase... then you're buying for the wrong reasons!! :)

Yes, I was meaning the 4WD version, I should have made that clearer, it's only the very base model that is FWD.
Each to their own, I have also driven a GTV v6 and I thought it torque steered terribly. There is just a feeling of being 'pulled along', that I personally don't like.

You gotta buy an Alfa with your heart.. If you have to ask if its a sensible purchase... then you're buying for the wrong reasons!! :)
This is the argument that is always given for choosing an Alfa and I admit, they do stir the emotions. But, for me, it would have to be an older RWD Alfa, unfortunately, they are the ones that rust badly and generally fall apart.

I think the Head would soon get annoyed at the Heart for this choice of car and resolve to make the decision from now on!

I have often heard the X-Type is a re-badge Mondeo argument as well, but it's not really fair. Ford owned Jag back then, so inevitably some parts were shared, it's a very different car to drive, sit in, own and look at. As you no doubt know, many VAG group cars share many parts and or Chassis, but that does not make a Bentley, the same as a VW Phaeton.

Last edited:
I found the road noise to be unbearable after my W124 too.. 20 years of progress!

I agree, but this is true on most newer cars. It is usually mostly down to the much lower profile tyres on a newer car, compared to the 80's Mercs.

Jack

I used to have a 2004 X-Type 3.0 Sport Premium. Owned it from new and kept it 4 years. Nothing like a Mondeo at all! It's an urban myth that it was based on a Mondeo, they're not even the same wheelbase for a start. Component sharing yes, Mondeo in a new frock, no!

My son has a 156 2.0 twin spark and loves it. As said above the major thing with them is the timing belt intervals and also the cam variator which advances the inlet cam timing. This should also be changed along with the belt . Oil quality is crucial on these engines and obviously the level, some use a lot of oil some use none. My son loves alfas so much that the previous 156 he owned 2yrs ago threw a rod through the block but that still didnt put him off owning another one and having driven it many times I can see the appeal. Personally though if I were to stray into alfa territory then I would go for the 166 2.5 or 3.0. as stated they are now at good money and are pretty exclusive.

Everyone that owns an X-Type seems to say that! I changed discs,pads,anti roll bar links,rear wheel bearings and a rear suspension arm.. all Ford parts. I have been told the X type only used 18% Ford parts, but was based on the Ford CD132 platform..and in reality everything I've ever replaced mechanically on the Jag has been Ford.

I don't know why everyone jumps to Jaguar's defence when people mention the Mondeo. The Mondeo is an excellent car!!!

The Alfa 156 is based on a Fiat Tipo platform, as was most Alfa's and Lancia's of the time.. No one ever lusted after a Tipo!!

Last edited:
It's because most people say it in a negative way.

I just don't see why people have to mention Mondeo when they mention X-Type. No one mentions a Skoda Superb when an Audi A4 is discussed.

..threw a rod through the block..

This is the kind of thing you hear many times from owners of Alfa's, along with all the newish (<5 yrs old) ones that come into my mate's garage with snapped timing belts, engine check lights on, gearbox's broken, suspension knackered, mis-behaving alarm imobilisers etc, etc. I have also noticed the paint finish seems pretty poor, very thin paint.

Then the parts supply can sometimes be tricky, or a long wait, or over-priced.. and as I said before, it's FWD, are they really worth it?? I would say I am a petrolhead, as much as anyone, but my heart totally agrees with my head, Alfa's are best given a wide berth.

It's because most people say it in a negative way.

I just don't see why people have to mention Mondeo when they mention X-Type. No one mentions a Skoda Superb when an Audi A4 is discussed.

Sorry, I didn't mean to offend anyone, I just don't "get" Jaguars. I did "get" old XJ's and XJS etc, but modern ones, somehow, have lost what Jaguar was. Beautifully riding, supremely quiet,superb handling,powerful engines.. I'm just stuck in the past, please ignore me! Just don't mention an XJ40 in my presence.. those things aged me about 20 years and took half my hair...

Platform sharing is the present and future..but its done for cost reasons, nothing else. The manufacturers never seem to start with the premium platform and work down,do they. always stretching and widening..

Sorry for pinching this thread.. I'll get back to Alfa's!

Back on topic...kind of. Probably the best looking Alfa ever....

Tom Hartley : 8C Spider

Front is pretty good, back looks a bit like an old Ginetta kit car to me, not so good.. From the side, also a bit squashed, not that special. Will undoubtedly be a future classic though.

That Dealer always seems to be able to source any car, he does sell some nice motors.

Jack

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom