AliExpress ABC Shock Absorbers

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Meatfeast

Car
CL500 C215 2004
Hi All.

I have recently discovered that my nearside rear left ABC shock has begun leaking badly on my 2004 C215 CL500.

I looked at the options of buying a new genuine Mercedes unit at £800 plus VAT and there are a few refurbished units on eBay at £750 plus shipping that I also considered.

I was pointed in the direction of AliExpress by somebody who has had a very positive experience with the shocks sold on there, and was astonished to find what I did, so I've taken the plunge and ordered a Shock for just £300'ish including delivery!

My question is has anybody else had experience of these parts before? I wouldn't normally ever consider buying something like this but my curiosity along with a glowing recommendation kind of gave me the impetuous to try one.

My thinking is its literally a punt, even if it buys me a little time until I can sort something else out. The ABC is still working fine, however yesterday a mechanic friend of mine ran some diagnostics (for an unrelated reason) and we got a code to say there is a problem with the aforementioned rear shock!

Any pointers, opinions or experiences would as ever be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks again and kindest regards.

In my experience buying cheap = buying twice and it usually involves learning something about the product and why the more expensive one is better and more durable. It applies to almost everything - try using a cheap tap or shower vs a Hans Grohe or a Franke - try a cheap washing machine vs a Miele, try cheap garden equipment vs Stihl, or cheap suspension components vs Lemforder - it goes on and on. I'm afraid that you will only find out what is different about the cheap version either when you receive it, or worse after it is fitted. I suppose the worst case is that you incur a £300 bill so it is hardly a disaster and you may get lucky and surprise me.
Is there a right to a refund on Aliexpress?
I'd be interested to know so please do post back.

I think that was right years ago.....but these days many of those so called "Quality items" are made in exactly the same factories in China as the so called "cheap pattern part".....often its exactly the same part in a different box! Even Mercedes are not adverse to sourcing cheap Chinese parts for their new cars and have been doing that for at least 6 or 7 years now......probably longer. So basically you can pay lots more for the Genuine part......but actually get the cheap part!! Same with everything.......everything is made on the cheap now and real quality is very hard to find. Not saying its the same with the part above....but it could be.

The car is eighteen years old, though.

The Alexipress one is very good and the OP has been advised this many times by a poster on the other side who has done 50k on 2.

My policy for buying cheap is entirely dependent on how willing I am/challenging it is to replace the part if necessary.

If we're talking about struts then I would take a punt on a cheap front one but the rears are a bit more of a pain to replace.

Still £500 savings is significant if it works out.

You will get a bill for
I've taken the plunge and ordered a Shock for just £300'ish including delivery!

Bear in mind you may get a bill for 20% VAT, import duty and a handling fee when it arrives in the UK. I bought a part for my tractor from Italy a couple of months ago - that was £350, and the tax/duty/etc. totalled £122. In the past stuff from China often got through without attracting any attention from HMRC but I suspect things are tighter now post-Brexit.

I've used AliExpress a few times for other things without any issues. It's very similar to Amazon i.e. used as a shop front by lots of smaller companies, who the ones supplying the goods.

You get what you paid for!
When the parts are cheap this means stuff are bad!

Parts may even not be suitable for your climate conditions?

I think that was right years ago.....but these days many of those so called "Quality items" are made in exactly the same factories in China as the so called "cheap pattern part".....often its exactly the same part in a different box! Even Mercedes are not adverse to sourcing cheap Chinese parts for their new cars and have been doing that for at least 6 or 7 years now......probably longer. So basically you can pay lots more for the Genuine part......but actually get the cheap part!! Same with everything.......everything is made on the cheap now and real quality is very hard to find. Not saying its the same with the part above....but it could be.
Look what happened when Covid shut down Chinese production....the world stopped dead ( almost ) Thats how much the
world ( especially the West) depends on them. And as we are seeing with Russia, It also clearly shows just what happens when we become over dependent on other Country's for our essentials. There needs to be a massive drive in self suffiency, especially in security critical areas.

Did we ever hear what happened with these? I have been told all 4 started to leak on mine so starting to look where best to get them from. Heard good things about Arnott. Never bought from AliExpress. Interested in any other alternatives if people know? Its an 09 Sl63 so the AMG shocks not standard ones

Did we ever hear what happened with these? I have been told all 4 started to leak on mine so starting to look where best to get them from. Heard good things about Arnott. Never bought from AliExpress. Interested in any other alternatives if people know? Its an 09 Sl63 so the AMG shocks not standard ones
I received my shock from Aliexpress, no VAT, no Import Duty, nothing! No idea why not but hey ho and all that!

Shock was fitted at SPR in Stockport, they couldn’t see the difference between the OEM shock and my new ‘Ken Wong’ special! The one thing that was pointed out was that all of the fittings were absolutely identical to OEM, so that gave me a decent amount of confidence that maybe I’m on to something good!

Been on the car for a couple of months now without any issues - I’m really pleased with it, only time will tell.

Cheers.

Lets face it they only have to last half the time and you still wont lose out!!

I’ve used this supplier for the valve blocks and would use them for struts. They’re also on eBay.

Looks a good price though looks like you need to exchange so would need to see if my garage would take the 4 off and wait?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom