All 200K Engine Owners - Please Read!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

blicky_1

Car
BMW F10 520d M-Sport
Hi all,

Not sure if this has been mentioned here before....and not sure what section as its engine & electrical....

Well after 120k miles of trouble free motoring I have hit a BIG problem :crazy:

Car (2001 W210 E200k) had started surging at motorway speeds 70-80mph and also surging at idle with aircon on. Engine light is also on.

This is a KNOW fault on this particular engine!!

Right now the root of the problem, camshaft magnetic sensor (at front of engine) has a manufacturing fault where on some occasions it will pass engine oil through the electrical connections of the sensor right through the engine wiring loom all around the engine bay up to the ECU :eek: if you don't catch it early enough it will flood the ECU blowing it :eek:

Fix = Complete engine wiring loom, Co2 sensor, modified camshaft sensor & a mod loom (to stop the oil passing through) and if you are unlucky (luckly not me) an engine ECU :rolleyes: Just seen a bill for a SLK 200k at £1300 from main dealer just for engine loom and sensors inc labour (ECU was ok) ECU is about another £700 on top.

I was lucky that me and my Merc man spottted the oil at the ECU multiplug early (as he has seen this before)

Car is now in for repair (4-5 hour job) luckly parts are only around the £400 mark and labour is free ;)

So if you have this engine type (in any model) please, please check this with your dealer, if you fit the mod loom (about £20) this will stop the oil passing up the loom.

Missing it already!!

Last edited:
Yes we do know of this fault, though the wiring normally has to be replaced the ECU does not, oil does not harm electronic components, MB engineers change it because they are told that they must. It is oil that runs into the MAF that puts on the light when the O2 sensor is contaminated

Yes we do know of this fault, though the wiring normally has to be replaced the ECU does not, oil does not harm electronic components, MB engineers change it because they are told that they must. It is oil that runs into the MAF that puts on the light when the O2 sensor is contaminated

How do you replace the 02 sensor??
and how do you prevent all this oil contamination

Last edited:
How do you replace the 02 sensor??
and how do you prevent all this oil contamination

02 sensor is in the exhaust under the engine I think?

Best to just get the mod loom that connects in-line to the multiplug on the camshaft sensor about £20 from MB.

I'm no expert just going on what I hear/see other more qualified members will be able to advise better.

Also if you have the same engine/autobox get the modified multiplug for the autobox at the same time as the same thing can happen there!! (£5)

Cheers.

Hi Guys,

Well I have had the loom changed, a new 02 sensor, engine light turned off, 'A' service but still have a problem....:mad:

The second trip out since the work the light has come back on and I still have the same problems as before (surging at motorway speeds and at idle with aircon on)

Spoken to my mechanic who said the only thing left is the engine module :mad: but he is going to read the faults and run some more tests....

Anyone else have any ideas on what it could be....

Last edited:
Possible air leak into the manifold.

Just a thought.

Possible air leak into the manifold.

Just a thought.

Hmmm, was thinking of a possible air leak......my gas injectors are fitted in there that could be causing a problem if it's split/cracked/letting in air :confused:

Last edited:
What fault is causing the light to come on?

Do you have a fault code?

What fault is causing the light to come on?

Do you have a fault code?

Not sure at the mo, will try and get the error read later this week...

The last time it was coming up with lots of faults that led them to the oil contaminated engine loom....

Last edited:
Finding this is the key.

It might be the air mass as these can be contaminated with oil also.

(it is possible that it is unrelated to the oil contamination also)

Finding this is the key.

It might be the air mass as these can be contaminated with oil also.

(it is possible that it is unrelated to the oil contamination also)

Thanks mate, will be checking everything so anything else you can think of let me know..

Most of the time the car drives as normal, I travel 80 or so motorway miles per day (40m each way to work + 100 or so miles for work) and sometimes it is ok. It only happens at what I call 'a steady speed' i.e. just holding at 70-80mph, under acceleration/normal town driving I have no problem. This happens with LPG or petrol....no difference.

Last edited:
I have just found the last print out he did for me just before the new loom was fitted: -

P200B-004 B2/5 (Hot film mass air flow sensor) Plausibility error mass air flow sensor/throttle valve [P0101] Stored/Engine light on

P201D-002 Selfadaptation of mixture formation. The mixture is too lean in part load range. [P0171] Stored

P201D-004 Selfadaptation of mixture formation. Mixture is too rich at idle speed. [P0172] Stored

Hope that means something to you :confused:

I have just found the last print out he did for me just before the new loom was fitted: -

P200B-004 B2/5 (Hot film mass air flow sensor) Plausibility error mass air flow sensor/throttle valve [P0101] Stored/Engine light on

P201D-002 Selfadaptation of mixture formation. The mixture is too lean in part load range. [P0171] Stored

P201D-004 Selfadaptation of mixture formation. Mixture is too rich at idle speed. [P0172] Stored

There is maybe oil inside the connector.

Those codes poit STRAIGHT to an air mass problem

Must be the MAF get one from Bosch, ½ the price of MB

Any ideas of where from?? and how much??

I have just spent £800 on this!! (including service, discs & pads, new foglamp & drop link bushes) :devil:

Euro car parts.

Let me know how much they quote you. I may be able to beat it.

Without wanting to cast aspersions on your mechanic, given this new information we shouldn't have been having this discussion.

Without wanting to cast aspersions on your mechanic, given this new information we shouldn't have been having this discussion.

Took the words out of my mouth.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom