All about the purchase of my 500E

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

paddy@polyposta

Car
500E & RS4 B7
Hi everyone. Having been a merc fan for some years now and after learning all about the 500E/E500 Merc-Porsher Stormer.........I have just bought and imported a 1991 Blue/Black W124 500E, WDB1240361B564568. She has approx 78,000 kms on the clock and is in beautiful condition. Plenty of pictures were supplied by the seller of all the documentation, owner’s manuals etc, but some how have gone missing between Yokohama Japan and here!! Also a bit of trim from around the gear shift. This I am in the process of investigating with the seller anyway. I did post a thread about this car back in October when I was looking at her after discovering the car on eBay Japan. I have owned 190's mainly and in the last 2 years a 300SE and still have a 300CE Coupe AMG Look-a-likey. My new 500E arrived in this country on the 12th December to Southampton Port UK. Over the last 2 weeks I have had to sort out import duties to be paid etc and then had her transported up to my home city of Lincoln, where she was taken straight to the local main MB Dealer.

They had an offer on for MOT's you see for £25.00 so I wanted them to MOT her and then do a general check over of condition etc. Whilst they were at it I also had them change the oil, oil filter, power steering fluid and coolant. When I first approached the dealer I insisted that and engineer with vast experience (possibly on this car) worked on the vehicle. Did that happen? who knows, but my problem is that I know of know local garages who specialize in MB and have the enthusiasm and passion about older Mercs. So for the meantime I had to go with the £65.00 + vat labour rates and over priced rates for any parts required.

She passed the MOT with flying colours once having had the headlamps adjusted to their max angles and with the addition of black masking tape to the lenses. They also had to re-wire and move the rear red fog lamp and both front tyres needed replacing. When they informed me about the tyres, I had to go and check as the car was sold to me with new tyres! When I got there they showed me that indeed the tyres were not that old and had almost maximum tread all the way across the tyre width but they were both very badly worn, right on the inside of the tyre, one with rips and tears in the rubber. "what could be causing that?" I asked the mechanic! "Camber!" I said. Possibly he said. The car has been lowered......any comments would be appreciated from you all here!

Anyway, although I could have got them cheaper, I asked them to fit a pair of Pirelli P Zero Ross 235 40 18 for me to get her through the MOT.

On replacing the engine oil, the mechanic informed me that what he drained had been clean as a whistle. Great I thought. The reason I asked them to replace the coolant also was because of the difference in driving conditions and ambient temp from Japan - UK. Its winter here now!! I just hope they have done it at the correct levels.

Overall the mechanic seemed to be very impressed with the car and said she was in prime condition underneath. He commented that other mechanics had been approaching his bay and asking, "What’s that"? and taking pictures. Great yeah but that worry’s me, mechanics not knowing the marque! This is why I need to find a local enthusiastic mechanic.

I went to collect her the next day and drove her home, a short distance of about 3 miles. WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Nuff said..............................

Whilst MB was working on my new 500E, I was in the process of getting her registered to drive here in the UK. What a pain in the ****. So much red tape and you can’t get this without that and that without this. To register the car would cost £50.00. She would also need the 6 or 12 months road tax (I opted for 6 at £99.00). You would need to take these fees to the local DVLA Office along with an MOT Pass Certificate, the certificate of export, your valid car insurance policy, your completed form V55/5, the forms which you get back from HM Customs and Excise which state that you have paid the import duties and Vat (10% of Value of car + shipping + Vat at 17.5%). As the car is over 10 years old, I did not have to take Type approval or certificate of conformity evidence. It took me nearly 3 hours of phone calls alone to find a company who would insure the car just on its chassis number as of course it has no registration plate/number yet as it has not been registered. Most of the major UK insurers were not interested as it was a Left Hand Drive Imported Car with no reg number. A company called Highway Insurance were happy to oblige anyway, on the understanding that the car was registered with in 14 days of start of the policy. It did not work out to be to expensive either as I already have insurance and use of my full no claims on my 300CE.

Although it has ended up costing me around £7000.00 including the import duties, cost of transportation from Southampton to Lincoln, MOT costs etc and most of the above. I asked them to insure the car on a value of £10,000.00. It’s probably worth more than that...........is it?

The policy ended up costing me around £570.00 with 5 years no claims being used and fully covered......not bad really I thought, so I went ahead with the cover.

As the car was manufactured in 1991, I should expect the registration number to be either a H or J Reg. Wanting to personalize her, I had a quick look on the DVLA site for a number plate and stumbled on E5 PBM! E500 PBM would have been better but alas not available. E5 PBM (Patrick B Micklefield) cost me £599.00 incl all fees and within a few days I had my certificate of entitlement in the post for this Mark......Great. Let’s get some plates made!!

Monday 24th December, Christmas Eve, I drive down to the local DVLA office with everything I need and they have asked for in order to register my new 500E. I wait in turn for about 10 mins and then get served. Everything seems fine and as you can imagine I am just keen and very eager and excited to get her registered so that I can drive her. He takes all my paperwork which all seems in order but then tells me that if I wish to put my own reg on her, then they will have to inspect her first and this would not happen until mid January!! Eeeeek......I am thinking. I am not that patient, is there a quicker way? Yes he says lets ignore your personal reg and register as normal, I can send all the paperwork off today and soon you should receive your vehicle registration certificate...allowing for xmas hols of course. OK I say, all I need to do then is a straight plate transfer once I have my documentation. So I leave the forms with him and go on my merry way.

I wait impatiently at home through the xmas period, awaiting my documentation and then alas a brown envelope...DVLA.......great rip it open to find a letter confirming my new registration mark of J3*2**L. The letter tells me I can now assign this to the car and should expect the reg certificate anytime in the next 6 weeks. 6 weeks!!!! I cannot wait that long to drive her, so I fly straight over to the local Halfords store and immediately have some plates made up. These cost a few quid more than the already made up E5 PBM which I got from a company on eBay UK. Anyway I am waffling on a bit here. The plates are now on whilst I wait the certificate and I am now driving her about.

WHAT A CAR !!!!!! NO SERIOUSLY...............WHAT A CAR!!!!

So comfortable and refined yet so powerful when asked. Everything seems to work and work well. Engine is very smooth and quite on tick over. No warning lights or unusual sounds. Orange triangle comes on now and then when I floor it? What’s this?

ADVICE - MAINTENANCE

I do not do a lot of mileage anyway but what I need now guys is your sound advice. What further checks should I make on the car now?? What’s checks should I be making on the engine.

What advice can you offer me on keeping her?
Parts?
Accessories?

Is there a local enthusiast out there for servicing?

What simple improvements could be made to performance and looks?

What’s this I hear about over heating wiring harnesses?

How can I upload pictures on this message to show you my new car?

Appreciate all your advice and tips guys/girls!

I want to look after this car

Paddy M

Last edited:
Welcome!

I would recommend making the trip to Ian Walker at 124Works who not only knows his stuff (as others will attest) but also cares about W124s passionately.

He is near Blackpool but well worth the trip!

Hi Paddy, sounds very interesting..

DVLA log book should come back quite quickly, they quote 6 weeks but is usually less than a couple... you can then put your private reg on.

Orange triangle is the traction kicking in! This lights up a lot on mine... well it used to before i put the AMG speedo's on which have covered the light up!

Would be very good to see some pics... you can attach them on here if you dont know how to host them yourself..

alternatively send them to me at [email protected] and ill do it for you..

as for a garage to use, Ian Walker, but he is far from you... there are a few in the midlands but just search the forum..

i hate to say it on here, but with a car like that you would do well to join the mercedes club too.. a mine of info and resources http://www.mercedes-benz-club.co.uk/public/home.htm

Last edited:
Welcome!

I would recommend making the trip to Ian Walker at 124Works who not only knows his stuff (as others will attest) but also cares about W124s passionately.

He is near Blackpool but well worth the trip!

Yes right over the other side of the country.......but if thats what it takes. I have heard of this company before. Do you have contact details? Paddy

Hi Paddy, sounds very interesting..

DVLA log book should come back quite quickly, they quote 6 weeks but is usually less than a couple... you can then put your private reg on.

Yes indeed, but just in case it is 6 weeks, I couldnt wait....:)

Orange triangle is the traction kicking in! This lights up a lot on mine... well it used to before i put the AMG speedo's on which have covered the light up!

Interesting. I may have the speedos converted to mph!!

Would be very good to see some pics... you can attach them on here if you dont know how to host them yourself..how do you attach them hear?

alternatively send them to me at [email protected] and ill do it for you..ok, will bear in mind

as for a garage to use, Ian Walker, but he is far from you... there are a few in the midlands but just search the forum..ok

i hate to say it on here, but with a car like that you would do well to join the mercedes club too.. a mine of info and resources http://www.mercedes-benz-club.co.uk/public/home.htm

Am in the process of joining.

Paddy:bannana:

Think I have just figured out how to add attachments

Last edited:
Mate you seem to have a cracker of a car there and super rare. To get some pictures your going to need to sign up to a uploading host such as Photobucket, once signed up you can upload your photos onto it and then using the IMG link copy and paste it in the thread. For phishing reasons it may be best to block out the registration plate using a photo editing software first.

P.S, here is the full spec of your car:

VINWDB124*
Model500 E
Chassis124*
Engine119974 12 001222
Transmission722365 03 571487
Order0 1 577 20500
Approx. year1991
LightsBOSCH
WiperBOSCH
Cab01169
DealerSpain (577)
Interiorleather black / anthracite (271)
Paint199metallic blue-black (с 01.01.1983)
Options
241left front seat electrically adjustable with memory feature. only applicable to w 210 when installed in conjunction with code 275. (с 01.03.1983)
242right front seat electrically adjustable with memory feature. only applicable to series w 210 when installed in conjunction with code 275. (с 01.03.1983)
300storage box in front tray (с 01.05.1988)
412electric sliding roof with tilting device (с 01.07.1983)
445steering column, electrically adjustable, and airbag (с 01.02.1980 по 31.10.1993)
490elimination of windshield/washing-water heater (с 01.02.1988)
540roller blind, electric, for rear window (с 01.05.1985)
570folding armrest front w202/210 stowage box front with armrest (с 01.04.1970)
front folding armrest w202 - housing at front with armrest
581automatic climate control (с 01.01.1977)
592heat-insulating glass, all-around, heated rear window pane (laminated glass), band filter
green heat-insulating glass all round, heated rear window, laminated safety glass - tinted strip (с 01.01.1972)
620emission control system
vehicles with catalyst technique (с 01.03.1985)
682fire extinguisher (с 01.04.1970)
756Becker radio Mexico 2000 (с 01.06.1990 по 31.03.1994)
873seat heater for left and right front seats (с 01.02.1984)

Last edited:
Mate you seem to have a cracker of a car there and super rare. To get some pictures your going to need to sign up to a uploading host such as Photobucket, once signed up you can upload your photos onto it and then using the IMG link copy and paste it in the thread. For phishing reasons it may be best to block out the registration plate using a photo editing software first.

P.S, here is the full spec of your car:

VINWDB124*
Model500 E
Chassis124*
Engine119974 12 001222
Transmission722365 03 571487
Order0 1 577 20500
Approx. year1991
LightsBOSCH
WiperBOSCH
Cab01169
DealerSpain (577)
Interiorleather black / anthracite (271)
Paint199metallic blue-black (с 01.01.1983)
Options
241left front seat electrically adjustable with memory feature. only applicable to w 210 when installed in conjunction with code 275. (с 01.03.1983)
242right front seat electrically adjustable with memory feature. only applicable to series w 210 when installed in conjunction with code 275. (с 01.03.1983)
300storage box in front tray (с 01.05.1988)
412electric sliding roof with tilting device (с 01.07.1983)
445steering column, electrically adjustable, and airbag (с 01.02.1980 по 31.10.1993)
490elimination of windshield/washing-water heater (с 01.02.1988)
540roller blind, electric, for rear window (с 01.05.1985)
570folding armrest front w202/210 stowage box front with armrest (с 01.04.1970)
front folding armrest w202 - housing at front with armrest
581automatic climate control (с 01.01.1977)
592heat-insulating glass, all-around, heated rear window pane (laminated glass), band filter
green heat-insulating glass all round, heated rear window, laminated safety glass - tinted strip (с 01.01.1972)
620emission control system
vehicles with catalyst technique (с 01.03.1985)
682fire extinguisher (с 01.04.1970)
756Becker radio Mexico 2000 (с 01.06.1990 по 31.03.1994)
873seat heater for left and right front seats (с 01.02.1984)

OK....thanks for advice, have just worked out how to add three attachments. Already have this information above but thanks mate!! Will take some photos soon and get posted, these ones are from when car was still in Japan.

Looks good mate !!

Really nice ! :rock:

HOW JEALOUS AM I. I WANT ONE...stop shouting Matt...very jealous...plan on getting one of those myself this year if things go accordingly...she looks great. Have a yellow one for going to the effort:bannana: of importing from Japan.

Would second what Gollum said...get it up to Mr Walker at 124 works (you must have googled the company name by now;) ). he will dribble all over her but clean up after himself:eek: :devil:

enjoy her

matt

If its 1991 build why does it have a post face-lift boot (or is that normal for AMG's?). Would this be a mod. hope one of the forum experts can advise.

Welcome to the forum, wow what can I say? That truly is a stunning car, £7k+ looks like good value, I love the colour combination and the Brabus wheels. It's simply stunning.

Bet you can't wait to get your plate on it...

Did I say that the car looks stunning?

I want one now too! Was importing it from Japan a lot of hassle? I assume you would have looked around the German sites too? From what I've heared many of the Japanese Mercs are very very well looked after.

I am not having a good night am I?? Now i remember why...wheres the wine bottle.

Matt, you've got some amazing (Mk. II, perhaps?) eyes. I can only see the facelift bonnet, headlights and indicators...

Yes, it's a mod.

Its a '91 which is pre-facelift so it would be a 500E that has been facelifted ...

If you could see the back end properly , you would be able to see if the filler panel is in place behind the rear number plate .. i imagine it probably is , pointless to spend thousands on facelifting the front end and then skimp on an £80 panel at the back ...

What do you mean a post facelift boot ? from the side you can't tell , the only difference pre and post facelift is the filler panel ( that is out of sight ) and the rear indicators that are grey/red as opposed to orange/red of pre facelift.

Last edited:
Stunning, elegant and oh such class!

A truly magnificent example of one of MB's greats. I too am really rather envious of your acquisition and I WANT ONE TOO! :devil:

Congratulations - you're obviously going to thoroughly enjoy driving her - hope to see her on display at one of the meets in the future! :D

pointless to spend thousands on facelifting the front end and then skimp on an £80 panel at the back ...
or some clear indicator repeaters...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom