All C43 AMG owners - What shall I do?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DRIVER200

Car
C43 AMG Estate
In an attempt to split the main Thread relating to the increasing Juddering issue that's affecting GLC/C 4Matic models I am looking for a balanced argument NOT to cancel my order as my new car will be ready at the end of the month and based on all I have read it would appear madness to proceed with the purchase. However, It seems that MB are under extreme pressure to sort this out so if I do proceed and buy the car I will be covered if/when the fix arrives. I really do not want to cancel as some owners say its not a big deal and others clearly have major issues with tyre wear etc... Any constructive view will be appreciated as I plan on visiting my dealership next week to discuss and see if there are any options that will give me an advantage should I proceed with the purchase.
Thanks in advance.

logo1.png

It appears to be a genuine issue with the current crop of cars, which MB may or may not address at some point in the future.

It depends if you are buying or leasing the car, as I suspect the issue could have some impact on residual values.

Buying the car, cancel and wait for the outcome and see if a revision is required.

Leasing, go ahead, as you can give the car back at some point and residuals are unimportant.

I know this is a hot topic at the moment and I've always been a bit bemused.

Yes, it's odd and certainly not ideal but is simply a characteristic of cars with wide tyres, usually high speed rating and usually 4wd.

I've had many cars over the years that have done this in one way or another and after using a GLC43 with optional wheels, I noticed it but forgave it pretty quickly as, IMO, it's just what it does.

Regarding what you should do, go ahead with the deal. I don't see why you wouldn't. No doubt MB will have a 'fix' soon but be under no illusion it won't disappear completely.

Secondly, I drive many thousands of miles each year, not many of which are getting on or off my drive or parking! If someone was to not buy a car for that reason I think you're mad but maybe I'm the odd one out.

All of our awd audis with summer tyres have done this crabbing on full lock at very slow speeds. I have not got my C43 yet (collecting 1 March) and I'm not giving the crabbing issue a second thought.

All of our awd audis with summer tyres have done this crabbing on full lock at very slow speeds. I have not got my C43 yet (collecting 1 March) and I'm not giving the crabbing issue a second thought.

Not sure where you are, but you might regret this decision - just my opinion after talking with many GLC C43 owners in recent weeks.

I would recommend returning to your dealer and taking their demo out again. My MB sales manager admitted that he has only recently driven the C43 and was shocked at how bad the jumping and juddering is - the worst he has experienced - felt like the car was doing an Irish Jig - from the 'horses mouth.

Not sure where you are, but you might regret this decision - just my opinion after talking with many GLC C43 owners in recent weeks.

I would recommend returning to your dealer and taking their demo out again. My MB sales manager admitted that he has only recently driven the C43 and was shocked at how bad the jumping and juddering is - the worst he has experienced - felt like the car was doing an Irish Jig - from the 'horses mouth.

I'm Irish so that sounds cool

Kidding aside, I'm getting a C43 Coupe (rather than the GLC). I test drove both the coupe and saloon versions without any issue. I got used to it in the audis - sounds like it is more noticeable/frequent in the C43 but I'll learn to live with the characteristic.

If it really does impact values I will lose my deposit and hand it back rather than pay the optional final payment at the end of my PCP.

Tony,

Just spotted the Honest John piece with yours and other comments. It does sound like it is much more of an issue than the usual 4wd characteristic that I have experienced before. Hmmmm, not sure what to do now! It does seem to be more the GLC being affected but I wonder if that is just because there are more awd GLC's and they have been out longer than c43 coupe.

Will watch closely before I pick up in March.

I have a GLC43 Coupe on order expected to be delivered 1st March. I also have same dilemma in that I really don't want to cancel but on the same note am not willing to accept this issue as a characteristic. My MB dealer is uncertain at this stage whether or not a fix will be forthcoming and has offered me a full deposit refund if I wish to cancel which in itself suggests that a fix is unlikely. The alternative is a Porsche Macan GTS but I am looking at an additional £15k once I have put on the options to match the GLC...

Its funny that several owners have mentioned their AWD Audi having the same problem as I have recently sold my SQ5 which didn't suffer this at all or maybe I never used 100% full-lock very often - I'm puzzled now. Will test drive again next week and make my mind up then but when I had my first test drive both in a C43 Estate and C43 Cabriolet didn't notice the problem but naturally I probably didn't put the 'full-lock' characteristic to the test. Its an awkward situation surrounded by doubt in a cruel sea. Not sure who wrote that but I am taking the credit, LOL.

Last edited:
I was loaned a C43 for 3 days, and whereas I could 'live with' the (very noisy and noticeable) crabbing, I'm not sure I'd want to take delivery of one at the moment.

My main concern is more about MB's attitude, and the likelihood of adequate customer care going forward.

As an engineer, I'm convinced that it's not just tyres that will suffer premature degradation, I can see related issues surfacing throughout the drive train in time.

I certainly wouldn't want to buy one of the over 3 years old, unless they had all been updated.

I was loaned a C43 for 3 days, and whereas I could 'live with' the (very noisy and noticeable) crabbing, I'm not sure I'd want to take delivery of one at the moment.

My main concern is more about MB's attitude, and the likelihood of adequate customer care going forward.

As an engineer, I'm convinced that it's not just tyres that will suffer premature degradation, I can see related issues surfacing throughout the drive train in time.

I certainly wouldn't want to buy one of the over 3 years old, unless they had all been updated.
Was this at low speeds on full-lock or more often? Hope the 3 year MB warranty covers this sort of problem should it manifest itself in excessive wear of other components?

To help paint the picture - this video gives you an idea of the 'characteristic' we are experiencing with of our GLC 250d AMG Line on 20" wheels,

https://youtu.be/E9vpoYz0Mswrr

It's worth noting that the stabilisation software on the camera actually reduces the impact on the video of the juddering and bouncing felt inside the car

Was this at low speeds on full-lock or more often? Hope the 3 year MB warranty covers this sort of problem should it manifest itself in excessive wear of other components?

Yes it was low speeds, but not always full lock

I did test drive a C43 Estate during the Summer, and must admit that I wasn't aware of the issue during that test. Whether it was the warmer weather or the shorter test, I'm not sure.

It did surprise me on this last use of a C43 saloon, because although I was aware of the issue, I had thought it affected only the GLC.

My wife and I have had numerous 4WD's over recent years, inc. R320 and ML350 Mercs, and never ever ever noticed this problem. It is definitely not just the bit of skipping that can occasionally occur on some cars. In my mind it definitely down to unsuitable diff/transfer box arrangements/settings.

My wife's also on her second RR Evoque having put 60K on them, and they don't do it at all.

The C43 was on 'standard' 18's, so not even ultra-lows.

Its funny that several owners have mentioned their AWD Audi having the same problem as I have recently sold my SQ5 which didn't suffer this at all or maybe I never used 100% full-lock very often - I'm puzzled now. Will test drive again next week and make my mind up then but when I had my first test drive both in a C43 Estate and C43 Cabriolet didn't notice the problem but naturally I probably didn't put the 'full-lock' characteristic to the test. Its an awkward situation surrounded by doubt in a cruel sea. Not sure who wrote that but I am taking the credit, LOL.

I'm one of those who mentioned the crabbing in audi AWD cars. However, this was very intermittent and nothing like as loud or violent as these videos.

I'm one of those who mentioned the crabbing in audi AWD cars. However, this was very intermittent and nothing like as loud or violent as these videos.

Exactly. I still have an Audi Quattro and VW Golf R on the drive. It can happen occasionally under certain circumstances. This is very different and very persistent.

Unfortunately we go on and off our driveway at least 8 times per day, including turning in and out of our road. Then parking up at school requires full lock again, as does turning on mini roundabouts require near full lock. We do 15K per annum.

To the OP, only you can make the decision but don't say you haven't been warned.

Exactly. I still have an Audi Quattro and VW Golf R on the drive. It can happen occasionally under certain circumstances. This is very different and very persistent.

Unfortunately we go on and off our driveway at least 8 times per day, including turning in and out of our road. Then parking up at school requires full lock again, as does turning on mini roundabouts require near full lock. We do 15K per annum.

To the OP, only you can make the decision but don't say you haven't been warned.

Yep agree as ultimately its down to me however, If I do proceed with the purchase and MB accept a fix needs to occur then that's fine. If not there are going to me a lot of GLC/C cars around the country that come trade in time eg 3-4 years down the line each and every one will have this problem so not sure how that will actually affect the value as all the cars will be the same. Only time will tell.

What type of Audi quattro do you have - a UR or?

To help paint the picture - this video gives you an idea of the 'characteristic' we are experiencing with of our GLC 250d AMG Line on 20" wheels,

https://youtu.be/E9vpoYz0Mswrr

It's worth noting that the stabilisation software on the camera actually reduces the impact on the video of the juddering and bouncing felt inside the car

That is terrible - I had a RS4 that used to make a 'crabbing' noise when reversing of my drive on full lock (in cold weather btw) but nothing like that at all. Don't blame you for pursuing it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom