All C43 AMG owners - What shall I do?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
But after all is said and done MB is a billion dollar company and want to stay that way and reputation is king in business.

Bear in mind you are not dealing with Daimler AG but Mercedes-Benz U.K..

still no sign of an MB-UK official announcement for current owners?

What do you get if you cross 13 degrees - brilliant sunshine & bone dry roads??

Crabbing.

Even the wife commented on it!

still no sign of an MB-UK official announcement for current owners?

Actually I see this as a positive thing as it's been a while since MB said that they would make a further announcement by the 17th Feb but if they knew it would be repeating their mantra of winter tyres, winter tyres.. then we would have heard today bang on time. But we haven't. So my massive guess is that they will announce something different especially -assuming they will- miss a Friday deadline as in cases like this with a weekend ahead the possibility of a start of week announcement will be far more comprehensive. Whether the announcement will be good or the same sort of thing for owners we will have to see but I think it will take us all by surprise and will not be what we have already heard.

Last edited:
Actually I see this as a positive thing as it's been a while since MB said that they would make a further announcement by the 17th Feb but if they knew it would be repeating their mantra of winter tyres, winter tyres.. then we would have heard today bang on time. But we haven't. So my massive guess is that they will announce something different especially -assuming they will- miss a Friday deadline as in cases like this with a weekend ahead the possibility of a start of week announcement will be far more comprehensive. Whether the announcement will be good or the same sort of thing for owners we will have to see but I think it will take us all by surprise and will not be what we have already heard.

I think you might be being a bit optimistic in thinking MB UK give a damn about their customers!

I think you might be being a bit optimistic in thinking MB UK give a damn about their customers!

Yes, of course you are right but eventually the bottom line becomes more important and I think MB will soon realise this as this issue will only gain momentum and wont just disappear.

What do you get if you cross 13 degrees - brilliant sunshine & bone dry roads??

Crabbing.

Even the wife commented on it!

Same hear, it was 11.5 degree on the OBC. Getting out the car park at London Zoo someone stopped me and suggested I had the car checked. I laughed and said no it is normal and a characteristic :D:D:D

Then I said, no you are absolutely right, but that is what Mercedes Benz keeps telling me; the chap said that they've lost their marbles if they think that is normal.

Yup - everyone knows it is not normal. Except for Mercedes Benz.

Last edited:
Just found this in the comments section of the Honest John article.

NN 8365 Tyre Skipping

17 February 2017

For the attention of Market Area Directors, Sales Directors, After Sales Directors, General Managers, Sales Managers, After Sales Managers, CSU Managers

Dear Colleague

We would like to provide an interim update to assist you with customers who have taken delivery of a car and have expressed a concern about this issue.

As previously advised in NN 8255, this characteristic does not affect the safety of the car, and independent technical inspections carried out by DEKRA have confirmed this.

We are aware of the customer and online speculation regarding the possible cause; a more detailed technical explanation will be provided shortly in response to these concerns. In the meantime, this week’s issue of Auto Express contains a report on the GLC which may assist with customer discussions.

We continue to investigate possible actions to minimise this effect and will communicate the results to you as soon as possible.

Obviously I can't verify it's authenticity but it looks pretty genuine :(

Link to article, comment is near the bottom of the page
Mercedes-Benz refuses to fix crabbing problem on GLC and GLC Coupe | Motoring News | Honest JohnJ

Just been on the AMG Performance Lounge and noted that there's no comments about the issue that you GLC and C43 drivers are suffering.

I know that the PL has fairly low use in the UK but I would think it's another way to get your issues with the car and M-B out there World Wide.

Any of the C43 or GLC43 owners should be able to post once they've registered.

RR

This is interesting copied from HJ:

''Ellpope 13 hours ago Hi Lucy

Still deciding what to do, have been offered a full refund, re-order another GLC or upgrade to a GLE with a big discount. I was waiting till today for the new update to see if there would be any changes.''

Just been on the AMG Performance Lounge and noted that there's no comments about the issue that you GLC and C43 drivers are suffering.

I know that the PL has fairly low use in the UK but I would think it's another way to get your issues with the car and M-B out there World Wide.

RR

:thumb:

RR

Yes I started it - but basically doesn't get any traction at all. Even PL themselves were noted by their absence.

Just found this in the comments section of the Honest John article.

NN 8365 Tyre Skipping

17 February 2017

For the attention of Market Area Directors, Sales Directors, After Sales Directors, General Managers, Sales Managers, After Sales Managers, CSU Managers

Dear Colleague

We would like to provide an interim update to assist you with customers who have taken delivery of a car and have expressed a concern about this issue.

As previously advised in NN 8255, this characteristic does not affect the safety of the car, and independent technical inspections carried out by DEKRA have confirmed this.

We are aware of the customer and online speculation regarding the possible cause; a more detailed technical explanation will be provided shortly in response to these concerns. In the meantime, this week’s issue of Auto Express contains a report on the GLC which may assist with customer discussions.

We continue to investigate possible actions to minimise this effect and will communicate the results to you as soon as possible.

Obviously I can't verify it's authenticity but it looks pretty genuine :(

Link to article, comment is near the bottom of the page
Mercedes-Benz refuses to fix crabbing problem on GLC and GLC Coupe | Motoring News | Honest JohnJ

Note how they keep on avoiding any discussion regarding the comfort issue. They are totally focussed on stating it is not a safety issue. I could be wrong but the engineer of that DEKRA report isn't actually qualified to carry the title engineer :doh: Further more he was referring directly the words Mercedes was using. I'm not suggesting he is bend, not at all. But if it is the report I think it is, then there should be some serious concerns about his understanding of what is happening.

I'm looking forward to Mercedes rolling out this characteristic across the range, including the Maybach and S-Class vehicles ;) I mean that is what they are hinting at isn't it? An explanation why this is ok and normal.

Note how they keep on avoiding any discussion regarding the comfort issue. They are totally focussed on stating it is not a safety issue. I could be wrong but the engineer of that DEKRA report isn't actually qualified to carry the title engineer :doh: Further more he was referring directly the words Mercedes was using. I'm not suggesting he is bend, not at all. But if it is the report I think it is, then there should be some serious concerns about his understanding of what is happening.

I'm looking forward to Mercedes rolling out this characteristic across the range, including the Maybach and S-Class vehicles ;) I mean that is what they are hinting at isn't it? An explanation why this is ok and normal.

Just read the Auto Express (GLC 220d) article and they are saying its only a low speed/cold weather/full-lock/big wheel issue and have taken the word of MB that's it's tyre related and that all weather/winter tyres will cure it. They go on to say that MB engineers are looking into it but still think it's tyre related. It's pretty obvious to me that the sooner someone with mucho clouto gets some winter tyres on a GLC/C class then this problem will continue going around in circles. They also mention that they have a Porsche Panamera in their stable that has the same problem. Here we go again..... Not sure that the people at A E have actually seen some of the YouTube footage etc.. as if they had they would probably form a different opinion. But at least its negative exposure for MB which is good in order to keep the momentum going. Car got 4/5 stars though so they obviously liked it, warts and all!!

Last edited:
Just read the Auto Express (GLC 220d) article and they are saying its only a low speed/cold weather/full-lock/big wheel issue and have taken the word of MB that's it's tyre related and that all weather/winter tyres will cure it. They go on to say that MB engineers are looking into it but still think it's tyre related. It's pretty obvious to me that the sooner someone with mucho clouto gets some winter tyres on a GLC/C class then this problem will continue going around in circles. They also mention that they have a Porsche Panamera in their stable that has the same problem. Here we go again..... Not sure that the people at A E have actually seen some of the YouTube footage etc.. as if they had they would probably form a different opinion. But at least its negative exposure for MB which is good in order to keep the momentum going. Car got 4/5 stars though so they obviously liked it, warts and all!!

Oh they most definitely seen the footage. And have been offered the contact details of a significant number of people, but alas aren't interested in running further with the story.

Oh they most definitely seen the footage. And have been offered the contact details of a significant number of people, but alas aren't interested in running further with the story.

What's your take on the cold weather/winter tyre excuse as assume you do not buy this at all. But at some point this theory will have to be put to the test don't you think?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom